Adam Oates fired.

Bartholomew Hunt

Don't love this firing. The Capitals are a pretty average team. They fired Boudreau who is a pretty good NHL coach. Now after one full season with one training camp, the owner dumps Oates. A bit too early. Maybe Oates and Ovie didn't see eye to eye, and this is Leonsis sucking up to his superstar. That I could understand.

McPhee...that was a given.

I'm not 100% sure, but from what I've heard/read, Ovi really liked Oates.

he is a pretty sh!t coach, his pp coaching for us was atrocious, i was laughing when the caps picked him up cos he's such a great player so clearly he's a great coach. 

Dead on.    I was glad he left here and he brought NOTHING to the table.

I'm not 100% sure, but from what I've heard/read, Ovi really liked Oates.

Maybe that was the problem.  There were several Caps players that demanded a trade because of Oates.

Maybe that was the problem.  There were several Caps players that demanded a trade because of Oates.

Though with Oates our guys were at least decent on faceoffs.  Since then (and even for many years before him) Devils were/are totally inept at them.

Can we get him to be our face-off coach? I remember Zajac taking big leaps in that area of the game. Of course that might just be a selective memory.

Team faceoff numbers:

2011/12: 47.1% (last season with Oates)

2012/13: 48.2% 

2013/14: 47.0

Edited by Marshall

I cannot believe how we started out from the exact same place and now in times of struggle we're just so far apart.  Talk about a dead-fish change up...

Zajac improved at faceoffs big time under Oates. I don't know if we can attribute that to his coaching, but it happened.

He went from 52% pre-Oates to peak at 57% last year and now down to 55%. I'd be wary to read too much into the stats, since FO wins has so much to do with the wingers, but I tend to agree that Oates helped make him better at the dot. 

He went from 52% pre-Oates to peak at 57% last year and now down to 55%. I'd be wary to read too much into the stats, since FO wins has so much to do with the wingers, but I tend to agree that Oates helped make him better at the dot. 

Again, I am not necessarily attributing his coaching to the improvement. However, in 2010-11 Zajac was one of the best in the league, especially in the first 55-60% of the season. He did fall off a bit after that though. Additionally, the 52% to 57% is a really solid jump, especially for a player who takes 1000+ faceoffs a year.

Again, I am not necessarily attributing his coaching to the improvement. However, in 2010-11 Zajac was one of the best in the league, especially in the first 55-60% of the season. He did fall off a bit after that though. Additionally, the 52% to 57% is a really solid jump, especially for a player who takes 1000+ faceoffs a year.

I think I recall Zajac saying something about how Oates suggested that he change the blade on his stick be made wider/taller and Zajac attributing his added success at faceoffs to that.

Edit: http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=546349

Edited by ATLL765