Rumor- Kovalchuk to Devils

adavid

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Kovalchoke is a smokescreen and its actually for Todd White or Tobias Enstrom, which I think would be better acquisitions for us anyway (again depending on what we are giving up). I hope this is the case. Maybe the Kings get Kovlachoke and we are part of a three way deal.

Can you honestly say you wouldn't be excited about landing Kovalchuk? Granted, he does not necessarily fill our most pressing positional needs. BUT, he does answer the issue of goal scoring droughts! The man is flat out explosive and one of the best offensive players in the game. Anytime you can add a guy like that to your team you have to give it a strong consideration.

This has been nerves central here over Kovalchuk.

Two years ago Lou was so close to getting Marian Hossa from Atlanta and had the deal on the table, but then all of a sudden Pittsburgh came in and swooped away Hossa from Lou and the Devils.

This time around I believe Lou will get his man this time in Ilya Kovalchuk. I really believe Kovalchuk is coming to New Jersey and there has been a lot of good rumors and rumblings around the Prudential Center the last couple of days from people I have spoke too there. Lou knows the window of oppurtunity for Brodeur is closing and he realizes we have a good team this season that can win it all with the right piece here and there. Lou maybe hearing some of the players on this including Brodeur on going after Kovalchuk. If maybe Kovalchuk is only a rental and they give up players like Oduya, Bergfors, Palmieri and a #1 pick and the Devils go onto win their 4th SCC, it will have been well worth it. If that 4th SCC does not happen and Kovalchuk goes elsewhere in the off season then the Devils still have good young players in Lowell for the near future then to worry about losing Bergfors, Oduya and Palmieri in that trade.

So I am all for this in Lou going for it this season. This has been needed for sometime on this Devils team and haven't had this in over 5-years. Also Lou knows even when Paul martin comes back he has to go out and make a deal for a top defenseman that can QB the PP and play some defense infront of Brodeur.

I strongly feel the Devils will be the ones to get Kovalchuk by this weekend. Lou will not lose this time around. If he does, then it would be really disappointing.

WHAT??? Gutting the team (Oduya, Bergsfor, Plamieri AND a #1) for a rental is stupid. If Marty is burnt out by April and we lose in the first round, you have just sacrificed the future of the franchise for nothing.

Maybe Kovalchoke is a smokescreen and its actually for Todd White or Tobias Enstrom, which I think would be better acquisitions for us anyway (again depending on what we are giving up). I hope this is the case. Maybe the Kings get Kovlachoke and we are part of a three way deal.

I don't know much about Todd White but keep hearing his name get tossed around. Is he really all that good? A quick look at his numbers makes him look like a smaller Zubrus.

For those people who think Lou wouldn't make this deal because it's not a "Lou type of trade"- remember: Lou has a boss. And it's possible Vanderbeek has had enough of this sh!t and has told Lou to get it done. Just something to think about.

BINGO! +1.

Things are changing and I believe Vanderbeek is involved in this Kovalchuk trade. Lou knows over the years it has just not worked on being frugal. It's time that he opens his eyes.

WHAT??? Gutting the team (Oduya, Bergsfor, Plamieri AND a #1) for a rental is stupid. If Marty is burnt out by April and we lose in the first round, you have just sacrificed the future of the franchise for nothing.

You think trading Oduya, Bergfors, Palmieri, and our late 1st round pick for one of the top 5 players in the game is sacrificng the future of the organization? Really? Because if we got Kovalchuk for that package, I'd throw a fvcking all-night kegger.

Can you honestly say you wouldn't be excited about landing Kovalchuk? Granted, he does not necessarily fill our most pressing positional needs. BUT, he does answer the issue of goal scoring droughts! The man is flat out explosive and one of the best offensive players in the game. Anytime you can add a guy like that to your team you have to give it a strong consideration.

Kovalchuk doesn't interest me at all. He is a one dimensional player who doesn't care about winning.

We need another LEGIT center and that will cure the perception that we don't score.

But getting Elias. Martin and Clarkson will cure alot.

I don't want Kovalchoke.

Why do you have so much stock in Bergfors and Oduya, Manta?

Oduya has been quite bad minus one end-to-end rush against the Hurricanes a year ago. He's noticeably softer on defense this year than ever before. Bergfors is good and all, but he's already 23 or 24 right? How much more real development does he have within this organization? He isn't going to be our future first-line RW. Also, where has he been 5-on-5 the past 2 months?

So, I feel the exact opposite. These are the type of players you can do away with for a rental-caliber player like former #1 draft pick Kovalchuk. A player that has 31 goals in only 49 games so far this year. What's the Devils biggest glaring weakness right now? Scoring.

I still don't truly believe the rumors until something happens. But this is all doable.

Do you even realize the talent and the future of this Devils team that is in Lowell and other places (Europe) right now playing? This is by far not gutting the team. I agree what Jason said about the three players in this thread.

Devils still have Corrente, Eckford, Tenenby, Josefson, Davis, Davison, Halischuk, Vasyunov and Zharkov. That is a lot of future talent for the Devils.

Kovalchuk doesn't interest me at all. He is a one dimensional player who doesn't care about winning.

We need another LEGIT center and that will cure the perception that we don't score.

But getting Elias. Martin and Clarkson will cure alot.

I don't want Kovalchoke.

This sounds stupid to me.. Kovalchuk doesn't care about winning? And you know this how?

You sound real dumb here Manta.

You think trading Oduya, Bergfors, Palmieri, and our late 1st round pick for one of the top 5 players in the game is sacrificng the future of the organization? Really? Because if we got Kovalchuk for that package, I'd throw a fvcking all-night kegger.

When Kovlachuk signs with the KHL or someone else in July, your answer will be more obvious.

I Don't now if this is new but Andy Greene out of practice today,

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/

Could just be flu bug good to see Patty back in Practice

Patty back in practice is really great, we need him desperately right now. Very interesting about the Greene thing, although as has been said let's wait to find out if it's just the flu.

TG has been surprisingly mum about this whole thing. Usually he gives his two cents when there is rampant trade / free-agent speculation about whether he thinks it's legit or not (I believe every time he has said there is nothing to the rumors, and has been correct every time). People have asked him repeatedly about Kovy on his blog but he so far has ignored all questions, from what I can see.

Do you even realize the talent and the future of this Devils team that is in Lowell and other places (Europe) right now playing? This is by far not gutting the team. I agree what Jason said about the three players in this thread.

Devils still have Corrente, Eckford, Tenenby, Josefson, Davis, Davison, Halischuk, Vasyunov and Zharkov. That is a lot of future talent for the Devils.

None of which are ready, nor will they be in a year.

Clearly you don't watch Kovalchuk.

His lack of defensive play is a legit concern. However, on a Devils team that is a legitimate CONTENDER, you don't think this leopard could change his spots? I think new scenery and a new club could elevate his all around game for sure.

TG has been surprisingly mum about this whole thing. Usually he gives his two cents when there is rampant trade / free-agent speculation about whether he thinks it's legit or not (I believe every time he has said there is nothing to the rumors, and has been correct every time). People have asked him repeatedly about Kovy on his blog but he so far has ignored all questions, from what I can see.

He seems pissed that people are putting stock in the guy from HF's "info" and that he is not the source of it...

None of which are ready, nor will they be in a year.

No? It won't be shocking if guys like Cormier, Josefson, Halischuk, Zharkov, Eckford, or Corrente make the team next year, I think. Then you've got guys like Vasyunov, Tedenby, and Urbom who all could have dark horse shots.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.