Patrick Elias is the 4th best player in hockey right now (If you belie

StormJosh

I'm not trying to start an advanced statistics debate which happens a lot on this board and I understand that a ton of other measures are not taken into account by GVT, but I think this is interesting and notable nonetheless.

According to: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1463, Patrick Elias is the 4th best non-goalie player in the NHL this season if you omit his failure in the shootout. His ability to contribute to special teams more than anything seems to be propelling his ranking.

If you were to take into account further Quality of Competition and Zone-Start statistics, I bet Elias might actually be slightly higher. Anyone have those numbers?

Edited by StormJosh

Elias should have been the #1 re-sign priority this year.

Elias isn't going anywhere at this point. He's a huge part of this team. His next contract is likely his last. I doubt he's heading out for the last couple years. Not like he's striving to win a Cup before he retires, ya know? I think he understand our approach at this point and won't fault Lou if it takes until July to sign him. I'm pretty sure we can assume Lou isn't going to low ball him or play games with the greatest forward this team has ever seen.

I truly hope you are right, but Lou makes me nervous at times.  I never understood how Claude Lemieux could not be brought back twice after 95 and 2000 (I still feel not having him cost the devils in 2001 and cost them in 97-99 when they  lost early despite being a 1 seed.  it's not possible to have won all 4 of those years, but I do think they would have won 1 or 2 more cups during the 95-03 years if #22 was always there)

Niedermayer should have never been allowed to be a free agent, he should have been locked up before that ever happened.  Those 2 players are players that should have never left.

I truly hope Elias will be like Stevens and Brodeur and never leave the devils and stay a few more years and than get his #26 retired.  Elias should have already been given an extension, he already gave one to Zajak who seems to always be hurt, Elias should have been the first priority and then Henricque before Zajak.

Elias isn't going anywhere at this point. He's a huge part of this team. His next contract is likely his last. I doubt he's heading out for the last couple years. Not like he's striving to win a Cup before he retires, ya know? I think he understand our approach at this point and won't fault Lou if it takes until July to sign him. I'm pretty sure we can assume Lou isn't going to low ball him or play games with the greatest forward this team has ever seen.

Edited by GIANTS79

I'm not trying to start an advanced statistics debate which happens a lot on this board and I understand that a ton of other measures are not taken into account by GVT, but I think this is interesting and notable nonetheless.

According to: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1463, Patrick Elias is the 4th best non-goalie player in the NHL this season if you omit his failure in the shootout. His ability to contribute to special teams more than anything seems to be propelling his ranking.

If you were to take into account further Quality of Competition and Zone-Start statistics, I bet Elias might actually be slightly higher. Anyone have those numbers?

Where have you been?   You don't need this silly snippet of information to realize the true value that Elias brings to this team.

He will always be the best forward in franchise history.   You can put anyone on a line with him and they will produce.   He is a winner and does all the little things that make him the most complete player in the NHL.  

If he played for the Rangers or Toronto he would already have a statue in front their arena's.

Where have you been?   You don't need this silly snippet of information to realize the true value that Elias brings to this team.

He will always be the best forward in franchise history.   You can put anyone on a line with him and they will produce.   He is a winner and does all the little things that make him the most complete player in the NHL.  

If he played for the Rangers or Toronto he would already have a statue in front their arena's.

at least toronto would've made the playoffs once since the lockout  :P  

Elias has one weakness and we all know what it is. It's his shot and the fact that he doesn't use it enough, which imo, hurts him. Though, that being said, Elias ALWAYS knows when he should have shot instead of passed, you can see it on his face. He's easily the most intelligent hockey player we've had other than Marty, but both of them are legendary in terms of "hockey IQ", which I see just as intelligence, period.

Even though he's a high end talent and a point producer, I always thought Elias' physicality was underrated. He's not a big hitter and I don't want him to be, he seems to, however, know when to make that hit and is a physically stronger player than I think people give him credit for. If his shot was a little better and was marginally better with, I don't know what to call it, hand speed&precision? whatever quality you'd say a player needs to make slick dekes, he'd be seen as Datsyuk is in the NHL.