Newark officials break ground on 'The Waterfront' recreational

NewarkDevil5

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/10/newark_officials_break_ground.html

NEWARK — It is being billed as the Chelsea Piers of Newark.

Rock climbing walls, boxing rings, a soccer field and a golf simulator are among the features of "The Waterfront," a 26,000-square-foot recreational facility being built just off Route 21 and a block west of the Passaic River in Newark’s North Ward. Elected officials and Newark Housing Authority executives broke ground today on the site, touting the center as a long-awaited boon to the area.

"If I had $100 for every time somebody told me... it’s not going to happen, I’d be a wealthy man," said housing authority director Keith Kinard. "It’s happening as we speak."

The authority is the developer and owner of the $9.7 million facility, scheduled to open in November 2011. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development kicked in $7 million for the project through a Hope 6 grant, and another $2.7 million was provided by a federal community development block grant, officials said.

It'd be nice if the Devils jumped in on this and donated money for an ice rink at this new rec center. Its right at the northern border of Newark by Forest Hill and Belleville. Obviously, they've got more important things to worry about on the ice right now and I understand that money isn't flowing the way they want, but this would be a nice way to give back to the community and regain some of the face they are losing in this whole rent dispute.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/10/newark_officials_break_ground.html

It'd be nice if the Devils jumped in on this and donated money for an ice rink at this new rec center. Its right at the northern border of Newark by Forest Hill and Belleville. Obviously, they've got more important things to worry about on the ice right now and I understand that money isn't flowing the way they want, but this would be a nice way to give back to the community and regain some of the face they are losing in this whole rent dispute.

Excellent idea. Email Vanderbeek, he's a cool guy and he'd definitely listen to you. jeff@prucenter.com