GDT: New Jersey @ Pittsburgh 7 pm

Derlique

They're not a sure thing 100 point team. (Not that this means anything anymore anyway) They're also not a sure thing playoff team. I think people smoke up a whole bunch of happy crack in the offseason and think the team is just going to be incredibly awesome... just because. It happens with every team.

They lost an ambush game after they got totally worked the night before. Big surprise. It doesn't look that awful on paper.

almost no one is a sure thing playoff team anymore. that's the thing to take away from all of this. you shoot 6% at even strength for half a season (or get .900 SV% goaltending) and unless your PP or PK is really crushing it, you're going to be on the playoff bubble. we've seen it happen to pittsburgh, boston, detroit, chicago, washington, san jose, and philadelphia over the last 3 years, and those (along with vancouver, who i don't think it's happened to) have been pretty much the best teams in the NHL. some of those teams pulled it together at the halfway mark and ended up winning their division or coming close, and some of those teams shambled all the way into the postseason.

who are the weak teams in the league? who's going to win less than 30 games this year? someone will surely, but there won't be many teams who do.

Edited by Triumph

I purposefully avoided the boards last night, and definitely won't be reading the rest of this GDT, but I hope things didn't get too dark here.

Early in the season, without your top 2 centers with a tired goaltender? I didn't expect much last night to begin with

I think defensive combinations will be adjusted for next game. We can't keep putting Salvador and Volcehnkov out there, not only are they a negative pit but whatever forward crew is with them gets dragged down. Fayne doesn't seem able to face the hard minutes so far this year as well.

Tallinder - Volchenkov

Greene - Larsson

Fraser - Fayne

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Try watching the pens telecast.

Last night go so horrific i turned the sound off and just had Van Helsing on in the background.

They are just rediculous on every level. They make a call on a play and if that call turns out to be wrong they try and blame the oposition player for making them get the call wrong. The Clarkson penalty last night was a perfect example!

Did you hear that assclown Errey sh!tting on Kovy the whole game? Also, one of their other commentators kept comparing Jordan Staal to Mario Lemieux and was salivating over James Neal. Awful

Absolutely, talking about how bad he thought Kovy was. He was saying something about how "that's the type of player who is going to hear it from his coach and won't get as much ice time", or something like that. Errey is the worst. Can't forget about James Neal, the hottest player in the NHL either. :rolleyes:

Absolutely, talking about how bad he thought Kovy was. He was saying something about how "that's the type of player who is going to hear it from his coach and won't get as much ice time", or something like that. Errey is the worst. Can't forget about James Neal, the hottest player in the NHL either. :rolleyes:

He said, "you dont win with players like Kovalchuk". I think he forgot to mention, that you cant win without tanking....

Cue Triumph telling us the Devils are still a good team and the offense doesn't stink. Now we'll see how we do against LA when they're not gassed from travel.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing last night. Maybe they surprise us, but I'm not seein' it. They don't score and that's nothing new.

well let's see, NJ's defensemen have 48 shots and 1 goal, that's sustainable. even last year that didn't happen.

i didn't see either game this weekend. the power play is starting out rather awful, i'd like to see anton stralman signed and to get in some games, but i'm not sure that's in the cards. but yeah, the offense will score 5 in one of these games and you will all forget about your complaints for a week.

Edited by Triumph

well let's see, NJ's defensemen have 48 shots and 1 goal, that's sustainable. even last year that didn't happen.

i didn't see either game this weekend. the power play is starting out rather awful, i'd like to see anton stralman signed and to get in some games, but i'm not sure that's in the cards. but yeah, the offense will score 5 in one of these games and you will all forget about your complaints for a week.

Maybe that kind of production isn't sustainable, but the Devils' D has had issues scoring goals for some time now. Another problem that isn't going away.

You can't really say much about either game if you didn't watch them.

As for the offense scoring five...sure, it will happen one of these days, even last year's team managed the feat more than a few times. Doesn't mean my concerns are going to go away once the Devils pull it off.

Maybe that kind of production isn't sustainable, but the Devils' D has had issues scoring goals for some time now. Another problem that isn't going away.

sure but like i keep saying this is a different group of defensemen. none of them are al macinnis, but this group should score more goals than last year's group.

You can't really say much about either game if you didn't watch them.

have i said anything about either game? not really.

As for the offense scoring five...sure, it will happen one of these days, even last year's team managed the feat more than a few times. Doesn't mean my concerns are going to go away once the Devils pull it off.

the power play definitely has to get better, and if that doesn't happen, yeah, total offense is going to be near the bottom of the league once again. but guys like sykora and palmieri are going to start scoring.

Edited by Triumph