NYR @ Devils from 2/10/1996

Devil Dan 56

I was going through some old tapes from storage and came across this game from 1996. I watched it for the hell of it and figured I'd post the lineups for the general 'oh I remember that guy' joy of it...

New York Rangers at New Jersey Devils

February 10, 1996

Devils lines

Thomas-Sykora-Guerin

Zelepukin-Broten-Maclean

Rolston-Carpenter-Richer

Peluso-Holik-McKay

Stevens-Chambers

Niedermayer-Daneyko

Smith-Abelin

Brodeur

Schwab

Rangers Lines

Graves-Messier-Kovalev

Verbeek-Nemchinov-Sundstrom

Robitaille-Ferraro-Laperriere

Lacroix-Presley-Kocur

Beukeboom-Leetch

Driver-Karpovtsev

Samuelsson-Lowe

Healy

Ram

Final score, 3-0 Devils!

Goals:

Guerin (Sykora,Thomas)PP

Thomas (Sykora)

Guerin (Sykora,Zelepukin)

Brodeur 24 saves.

Random things mentioned during broadcast (it was a FOX Broadcast, btw)

-Possibility of the Kings trading Gretzky and how he was rumored to possibly go to the Rangers or Devils (He went to St Louis)

-Chelios saying someone might go to Bettman's house and get revenge when the lockout was announced

-Possibility of Florida Panthers moving (they made the finals later that year)

-Mario Lemieux scored his 47th goal that same afternoon

Notes

-I forgot how much chemistry that Thomas-Sykora-Guerin line had. They were called Hells Angels by the broadcasters at the time in what I remember being a pretty forced nickname.

-Lots of hitting, lots of what would now be interference and holding.

-The goaltending was a million times more exciting without jumbo pads and butterflies.

-Doc and JD were a real good team. JD definitely dropped his Ranger favoritism a little during Fox broadcasts.

-Devils record after the game was 24-22-7.

-Patrik Elias played one game for the Devils that season as a 19 year old wearing #24. He was a minus-1. What a bum!

Edited by Devil Dan 56

I was going through some old tapes from storage and came across this game from 1996. I watched it for the hell of it and figured I'd post the lineups for the general 'oh I remember that guy' joy of it...

New York Rangers at New Jersey Devils

February 10, 1996

Devils lines

Thomas-Sykora-Guerin

Zelepukin-Broten-Maclean

Rolston-Carpenter-Richer

Peluso-Holik-McKay

Stevens-Chambers

Niedermayer-Daneyko

Smith-Abelin

Brodeur

Schwab

Rangers Lines

Graves-Messier-Kovalev

Verbeek-Nemchinov-Sundstrom

Robitaille-Ferraro-Laperriere

Lacroix-Presley-Kocur

Beukeboom-Leetch

Driver-Karpovtsev

Samuelsson-Lowe

Healy

Ram

Final score, 3-0 Devils!

Goals:

Guerin (Sykora,Thomas)PP

Thomas (Sykora)

Guerin (Sykora,Zelepukin)

Brodeur 24 saves.

Random things mentioned during broadcast (it was a FOX Broadcast, btw)

-Possibility of the Kings trading Gretzky and how he was rumored to possibly go to the Rangers or Devils (He went to St Louis)

-Chelios saying someone might go to Bettman's house and get revenge when the lockout was announced

-Possibility of Florida Panthers moving (they made the finals later that year)

-Mario Lemieux scored his 47th goal that same afternoon

Notes

-I forgot how much chemistry that Thomas-Sykora-Guerin line had. They were called Hells Angels by the broadcasters at the time in what I remember being a pretty forced nickname.

-Lots of hitting, lots of what would now be interference and holding.

-The goaltending was a million times more exciting without jumbo pads and butterflies.

-Doc and JD were a real good team. JD definitely dropped his Ranger favoritism a little during Fox broadcasts.

-Devils record after the game was 24-22-7.

-Patrik Elias played one game for the Devils that season as a 19 year old wearing #24. He was a minus-1. What a bum!

I keep forgetting about Jason Smith and that he started as a Devil. I think he was later then captain of the Oilers and possibly captain or alternate of the Flyers fairly recently?

I would also kill for a 4th line like that now.

Awesome. Thanks for the throw back. Its interesting that Sykora's overall play hasnt really decreased significantly in the last 16 years.

If I remember right, Sykora was regarded as the bigger prospect than Elias at the time. Him and Elias certainly have been around for what feels like forever.

Peluso-Holik-McKay

Can we get these guys back, please?

Man, there's some good memories, huh?

It really is amazing, going back and watching some older games now, isn't it?

No two line passes, no trapezoid thingy, less penalties overall (sorta)... I miss that game. Sorry, but I really do.

*sigh*

Peluso-Holik-McKay

No two line passes, no trapezoid thingy, less penalties overall (sorta)... I miss that game. Sorry, but I really do.

*sigh*

Yeah there was definitely some charm to those old games, even if a lot could be bowling shoe ugly. The goaltending was what I missed most. I'm sure I have plenty more of those games in storage. I had to tape games a lot back then (before the glorious DVR was invented!)

Edited by Devil Dan 56

I was cleaning out some old tapes about a year ago & watched what was probably that same game (fast forwarded version). The robots were great if you were watching with school-age kids. And there was something positive about the fuzzy puck image appearing when the actual puck was along the near boards and disappeared from view. Any home game shutout vs. nyr was great, since it meant no cheering from their fans.

I also remember remember we had a lot of OT wins that year we missed the playoffs.

Peluso-Holik-McKay

*sigh*

There certainly were not less penalties, although there were certainly far more infractions that did go uncalled. There was also way more clutching and grabbing and less skating. It was a different game, that's for sure.

Edited by Triumph

There certainly were not less penalties, although there were certainly far more infractions that did go uncalled. There was also way more clutching and grabbing and less skating. It was a different game, that's for sure.

Are you intentionally ignoring the "(sorta)" that I put there, or can you just not read?

Are you intentionally ignoring the "(sorta)" that I put there, or can you just not read?

How about actually explaining what you meant by that, or can you just not write? Saying 'sorta' doesn't mean anything, especially when it's in direct contradiction to what you wrote - like saying 'The Devils are the best team in the league (sorta)'. If you'd said 'People just committed blatant penalties all the time and hardly any of them got called', or 'Refs were way more lenient', or something like that, I'd've understood what you meant.

It's a common misconception among fans that there are more power plays now than there were back then, but clearly you don't have that misconception.

Yep, as I figured, I now feel really dumb...

Lol its ok. I do remember him but for some reason I barely remember sharifijonov.

We also had another defenseman around the 97-2000 era whose name escapes me right now and it is on the tip of my tongue. He later served as captain of Columbus later on.

Lol its ok. I do remember him but for some reason I barely remember sharifijonov.

We also had another defenseman around the 97-2000 era whose name escapes me right now and it is on the tip of my tongue. He later served as captain of Columbus later on.

The ugliest man in hockey, Lyle Odelein???

I remember if he got in trouble in the neutral zone, he would pass back to Brodeur. Doc would call it an Odelein-ian Pass :giggle:

lol I remember that too. Doc is just great man, and Odie was somethin' else.

:)