Are we still questioning Lou?
It's the whiskey talking.

#62 Kovys Puck

Kovys Puck

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:06 AM

What do you guys think of going after Subban? Butterfly goalie and extremely athletic...

#63 John Wensink

John Wensink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:53 AM

I think Lou will set up a trade where we get another teams 1st rounder in the next two years. Then he'll tell the NHL to suck eggs.
"I feel privileged to have played on three Stanley Cup teams and finally help the New Jersey Devils get the respect they deserve." Scott Stevens

"I knew in my heart that one day we would turn it around and we'd do something special here," Ken Daneyko

"I hate the Rangers, and Lou hates them to death."- Martin Brodeur, "Beyond the Crease", page 261

#64 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

What do you guys think of going after Subban? Butterfly goalie and extremely athletic...

I wouldn't want them to take a goalie that early in the draft or with the depth they have (Wedgewood, Kinkaid, Clermont) but I'm not opposed to it if they can get him with a mid round pick. Athletic goalie, moves well laterally, quick reflexes, does well 1 on 1, the main knock against him is rebound control and staying healthy.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#65 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:36 AM

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Lou Lamoriello said deadline was not Tuesday. Misunderstanding?

#66 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,941 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

Well, to me, it makes perfect sense.

2012 we would have forfeited the 29th pick.
2013 we're gonna have to give up the 30th

:troll face:

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#67 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Lou Lamoriello said deadline was not Tuesday. Misunderstanding?

Technically, the deadline is actually 2014 to give up the pick. I think that is what Lou was indicating to Gulitti whose question was when the Devils have to let the NHL know after a season ends when they do decide to forego the pick.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#68 CMONPETEYD

CMONPETEYD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:12 AM

I thought he had 2 days after the stanley cup final ended?
My name changes every summer
Posted Image

#69 Kovys Puck

Kovys Puck

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

I wouldn't want them to take a goalie that early in the draft or with the depth they have (Wedgewood, Kinkaid, Clermont) but I'm not opposed to it if they can get him with a mid round pick. Athletic goalie, moves well laterally, quick reflexes, does well 1 on 1, the main knock against him is rebound control and staying healthy.

Who do you see us taking? It would be nice to grab a 2 way forward somehow. No more defenseman unless a real steal comes. Right wing needs to be addressed ASAP.

#70 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

Who do you see us taking? It would be nice to grab a 2 way forward somehow. No more defenseman unless a real steal comes. Right wing needs to be addressed ASAP.

Addressing right wing in the draft doesn't mean anything. He's not playing for at least three years. You don't know who might be available by trade, free agent, or someone already in the system or on the team that you can move to right wing. When you pick that low, you take the best available, maybe with the exception of goalie.

As to defenseman, again, assuming that whoever's drafted is not ready to make an immediate jump, by the time he's ready, Greene, Tallinder, Zidlicky contracts will be up, and likely gone. Someone is else who's playing well now could easily regress. We have no idea if Urbom and Gelinas or even Merrill will be any good. So drafting a defenseman with the first pick is not something you rule out.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#71 Kovys Puck

Kovys Puck

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

Addressing right wing in the draft doesn't mean anything. He's not playing for at least three years. You don't know who might be available by trade, free agent, or someone already in the system or on the team that you can move to right wing. When you pick that low, you take the best available, maybe with the exception of goalie.

As to defenseman, again, assuming that whoever's drafted is not ready to make an immediate jump, by the time he's ready, Greene, Tallinder, Zidlicky contracts will be up, and likely gone. Someone is else who's playing well now could easily regress. We have no idea if Urbom and Gelinas or even Merrill will be any good. So drafting a defenseman with the first pick is not something you rule out.

Good points... So why not go goalie if best one comes available? Are we ready to rely on our minors after Marty?

#72 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:11 AM

My understanding as well, guess we will know by today, I think TG understands he has left us all in a confusing state with his recent tweet.

#73 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

Good points... So why not go goalie if best one comes available? Are we ready to rely on our minors after Marty?

We have a genuine prospect with a lot of talent in Wedgewood. The market for goaltenders in the NHL these days is so crowded, there is always going to be a very serviceable veteran bouncing around looking for a club.

Hopefully Marty can split with Wedgewood or another netminder next year and then if Marty calls it a day we use another veteran.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#74 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

Keeping the pick may actually be a "posturing" move by Lamoriello. By giving up the pick, its like showing your hand in poker. Maybe Lamoriello wants to see what's out there at this year's draft, and on top of that, use it as a negotiation tool with Parise.

Tough to convince your best forward to stay when you gave up your 1st round draft pick without even seeing what's out there.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Lamoriello and Lombardi had the chance to get together and talk about Jonathan Bernier while at the SCF. The pick may also be part of the strategy to bring him to NJ.

Who knows...

#75 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

With how bone dry we are with forward prospects, maybe he is thinking to try and stockpile a little.

#76 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

Just because drafting goalies is the biggest crapshoot. (Admittedly, I'm making this statement without the benefit of any kind of statistical analysis). I'm also of the belief that you can still compete for a championship with a goalie that's good enough. You also only carry two on the team at any given time, so there's even less of chance of a drafted goalie having a great impact. Other teams seem to be coming around to this line of thinking, so goalies tend to fall in the draft also.
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#77 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

Maybe it's 2 days after the last scheduled game?? The only sources I can find are news reports... who knows what the actual legal language is.
Posted Image

#78 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

Just because drafting goalies is the biggest crapshoot. (Admittedly, I'm making this statement without the benefit of any kind of statistical analysis). I'm also of the belief that you can still compete for a championship with a goalie that's good enough. You also only carry two on the team at any given time, so there's even less of chance of a drafted goalie having a great impact. Other teams seem to be coming around to this line of thinking, so goalies tend to fall in the draft also.

No, this is all true.

4 goalies who played last year in the NHL were drafted in the same round in the same NHL draft. Of course, that was the 9th round of the 1994 draft: Tim Thomas, Evgeni Nabokov, Johan Hedberg, and Tim Thomas.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#79 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

Tim Tawmus played for two teams?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#80 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

No, this is all true.

4 goalies who played last year in the NHL were drafted in the same round in the same NHL draft. Of course, that was the 9th round of the 1994 draft: Tim Thomas, Evgeni Nabokov, Johan Hedberg, and Tim Thomas.

Not to mention the low draft positions of Quick, Holtby, Lunqvist, Rinne, Mike Smith, and that's just off the top of my head.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users