The Devils Minority partners are looking to sell their share.

ghdi

And my conspiracy theory inches closer to becoming true.

My conspiracy theory is that Bettman is going to use the Devils as a sacrificial lamb to Quebec City, Winnipeg, or Hamilton in order to save his precious southern market teams, by the way.

*yawn* the team's not moving no matter who he sells it too

The team may not be moving, but there are plenty of other implications that make this worth following:

- Does this instability decrease the likelihood that Parise signs long-term in this, his RFA, offseason?

- Will this impact Lou's role within the organization?

- Will the new ownership be as unafraid to spend up to the cap ceiling as Vanderbeek was?

- Will the new, grassroots marketing go out the door with Vanderbeek?

The list could go on.

It's a shame too because, as Tri mentioned, Vanderbeek really was a good embassador to the fans. The former-season ticket holder turned team owner, built us the arena we always wanted with public transportation options in a downtown setting, held town hall meetings with fans to hear first-hand how we felt ... I'll be sad to see him go.

I don't know why anyone would freak out, part of the value of the team is the ownership stake of the building. Heck if the city were smart it would try to recoup some of it's investment when a partial or full sale (although I have to think it would be just a majority stake and Vanderbeek keeps some level of ownership). The ideal scenario is that someone with mega dollars (ie, a bloomberg, Woody ect) buys the team with enough money to pursue purchasing a NBA team long term.

The team may not be moving, but there are plenty of other implications that make this worth following:

- Does this instability decrease the likelihood that Parise signs long-term in this, his RFA, offseason?

- Will the new ownership be as unafraid to spend up to the cap ceiling as Vanderbeek was?

- Will the new, grassroots marketing go out the door with Vanderbeek?

The list could go on.

It's a shame too because, as Tri mentioned, Vanderbeek really was a good embassador to the fans. The former-season ticket holder turned team owner, built us the arena we always wanted with public transportation options in a downtown setting, held town hall meetings with fans to hear first-hand how we felt ... I'll be sad to see him go.

-I don't think this alter's Parise decision at all, (with his new agent it's still 50/50 that he stays).

-Hopefully, the new owner is a hockey guy who will just leave Lou alone so we can get back to winning hockey games.

-If he is a hockey guy, we probably go back to pulling back from the cap.

-I think the marketing has to stay, its been the lone bright spot in the JVB era.

I agree he was a great ambassador for the team and his marketing efforts had the fanbase going in the right direction.

Absolutely decreases it on the surface. This is the most glaring thing out of this in the immediate. Put yourself in his shoes. It depends on how quickly VBK finds a buyer and is approved by the NHL. We've seen what has happened with places like Phoenix. It could be brutal, but it could also be a smooth transition.

- Will the new, grassroots marketing go out the door with Vanderbeek?.

These three all depend on who buys the team. If an owner comes in and wants to do things his way, he could clean house of the front office completely. VBK came in as a fan and knew what Lou brought to the table.

As far as the other three, I'm sure they're all rhetorical, but theres no answer to these until new ownership is in place. There could positive answers to all of them. The marketing could go through the roof with new ownership. Everything could potentially change for the worse and in the immediate, its not good simply because of Parise. I wouldnt bet on him being here two years from now, but then again, if we get a great owner, who knows?

Lots of questions nonetheless.

need a devils statement on this to know the real story (or at least what they say).

Acc to the article, the team can't comment on it and Vanderbeek is traveling until later today. Considering NHL Live and noted reporters are talking about it (not TG yet) we'll undoubtedly get some word later today.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-01/devils-owner-vanderbeek-said-to-be-seeking-buyer-for-nhl-team.html

As Han Solo once said, I've got a bad feeling about this....

Mike

And my conspiracy theory inches closer to becoming true.

My conspiracy theory is that Bettman is going to use the Devils as a sacrificial lamb to Quebec City, Winnipeg, or Hamilton in order to save his precious southern market teams, by the way.

I wouldn't be shocked. I'd be sick / furious, but not shocked.