Have the Devils Been Better Since the Coaching Change?

devilsrule33

How is it "misleading"?  I clearly said 15 goals in his last 102 games, which clearly implies that the 102 games isn't his entire career.  A lot of people are familiar enough with Brunner's career to know he got off to a good goal-scoring start with Detroit, then just about disappeared (he did have a bit of a resurgence for them in the playoffs).  That's been discussed here multiple times. 

Wasn't distorting anything.  Sometimes guys like Brunner get off to good scoring starts because other teams don't know who they are, because of shooting luck, etc.  I mentioned the 15 goals in his last 102 to show that the numbers were clearly headed in the wrong direction.  Not like 25 goals in 121 GP is anything all that special either.  No, probably wasn't 100% on him, but I think enough of it was that I can understand why both parties moved on from each other.  I don't think it was going to get much better for him here.   

15 goals in 102 games is forming the stats to fit how you want them to. The sample size is 121 games, not 102. Knocking an arbitrary 19 games off makes no sense. In both seasons of Brunner's career prior to this one (which hardly got started), he averaged over the .15 GPG that 15 goals in 102 games is. Even last year with us he averaged .18 GPG. You want to knock off the first 19 games of his career but include the last 17 games of it which are arguably of equal value.

Edited by Neb00rs

15 goals in 102 games is forming the stats to fit how you want them to. The sample size is 121 games, not 102. Knocking an arbitrary 19 games off makes no sense. In both seasons of Brunner's career prior to this one (which hardly got started), he averaged over the .15 GPG that 15 goals in 102 games is. Even last year with us he averaged .18 GPG. You want to knock off the first 19 games of his career but include the last 17 games of it which are arguably of equal value.

It's a tiny bit of data snooping, but what he said is still true - he's not saying 'Except for the hat trick on 3/9/13, Brunner has....' which to me is way more egregious.  He lost his top-six role in Detroit and then also lost it here.

It's a tiny bit of data snooping, but what he said is still true - he's not saying 'Except for the hat trick on 3/9/13, Brunner has....' which to me is way more egregious.  He lost his top-six role in Detroit and then also lost it here.

I'm not sure what he is saying. If he is saying that Brunner is not a good player, then I agree. If he is saying that Brunner is defined by 15 goals in his last 102 games, then I don't agree. No it's not that egregious, but why the need to cut any data out? It's not like one has to look hard to see that Brunner isn't good.

The coaching change helped the confidence of important players that are here for the long term, so on that basis alone it was worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agreed. When it came to winning today, deboer helped this team more than he hurt, but more importantly he was not showing signs of being able to develop the youth. So u was fine with him going, but the billion dollar question is who will be the permanent replacement.

I'm not sure what he is saying. If he is saying that Brunner is not a good player, then I agree. If he is saying that Brunner is defined by 15 goals in his last 102 games, then I don't agree. No it's not that egregious, but why the need to cut any data out? It's not like one has to look hard to see that Brunner isn't good.

I'm saying that Brunner isn't very good and probably wasn't ever going to be, and was likely only going to stay where he was or get worse.  I'm saying that some people think that because he did score 10 goals in his first 19 GP, that he was a scorer who might somehow do that again, or at least start to score more often in time.  I'm saying that the 15 goals in 102 games was probably a little more accurate as to what he was going to be had he remained.  I don't think there was a gem there who needed a better situation to show that he really was much better than he'd shown.  At the very best, I think he might have been a little less bad.   

I'm saying that Brunner isn't very good and probably wasn't ever going to be, and was likely only going to stay where he was or get worse.  I'm saying that some people think that because he did score 10 goals in his first 19 GP, that he was a scorer who might somehow do that again, or at least start to score more often in time.  I'm saying that the 15 goals in 102 games was probably a little more accurate as to what he was going to be had he remained.  I don't think there was a gem there who needed a better situation to show that he really was much better than he'd shown.  At the very best, I think he might have been a little less bad.   

See, but that's not quite fair though. Just because he's not a 10 goals in 19 games guys, doesn't mean he's a 15 goals in 102 game guy. I think Brunner has shown that he could contribute 15 goals a over an 82 game season.  Last year for us he put in 11 goals in 60 games. That equals exactly 15 goals over a full season. 

But sure you could point out that over 17 games this year he only had 2 goals. But then you'd also have to point out that in the first 19 games of his career he had 10 goals.

15 goals in 102 GP Is about 12 or so over 82 GP. If you want to go with his full career, then I think it's around 17 per 82 GP. So maybe he might've managed 18 or so in a "good" year. Awesome. Anyway, doesn't matter...we'll see if someone else gives him another shot in the NHL.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The coaching change helped the confidence of important players that are here for the long term, so on that basis alone it was worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worth it, so long as this circus isn't allowed to continue next season.

"Character" - whatever that has come to mean - seems to weigh more than ever in today's NHL. If people are right that there was an effort problem, he may have hit the blacklist. Combine that with him not being a very good player in the first place and well...who knows what lies ahead for Brunner.

I remember it being weird whatever happened to Brunner. You wouldn't think that a turnover could get DeBoer so upset: his quote to the media according to TG was,

“It hasn’t worked," [...] When I asked why it hasn't worked, DeBoer replied, “I’ve got my ideas, but let’s talk about Washington. We’ve moved on. He’s on waivers and we’ll go from there.”      

This is pretty angry language coming from a coach to the media about a player. He must have seriously mouthed off.

Edited by Neb00rs