Tim Thomas Traded to Islanders

NJDEVS1730

God do I hate the islanders. Way to let Boston (arguably the best team in the east) free up 5 mil in cap space. Now they can prolly pick up a piece or two at the deadline. On top of that why not trade for a player that u will be able to use! I get they needed to hit the floor but do it in a better way, jeez

Can't believe they threw away a 2nd round pick just to get to the cap floor.  Surely there were better options..

I believe it has to do with the fact that the Bruins still have to pay Thomas's full $5 mil contract because it was an over 35 contract. So Garth Snow and the Isles take on the full cap hit without actually having to shell out any dough. That's how I understand it anyway, but somebody else can feel free to correct me if I have it wrong.

Edited by iamtheprodigy

I believe it has to do with the fact that the Bruins still have to pay Thomas's full $5 mil contract because it was an over 35 contract. So Garth Snow and the Isles take on the full cap hit without actually having to shell out any dough. That's how I understand it anyway, but somebody else can feel free to correct me if I have it wrong.

No they don't have to pay, since Thomas is in violation of his contract and is suspended. His cap hit is still on the books however because it's a 35+ contract. So the Islanders get a $5 Million cap hit at the cost of $0. If Thomas never shows they can keep suspending him and roll over his contract to the next season and get the $5 million cap hit for the next 8 years until the next CBA fixes this loophole.

Also McKenzie says the compensation is conditional on Thomas showing, so if Thomas never reports to an NHL team for the next two years, the Islanders give up nothing. If he reports to the NHL the Islanders owe a 2nd round pick to the Bruins.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Devils easentially did the same thing with Malakhov so I wouldn't be calling for cap circumvention on this one.

Not quite, the Devils weren't trying to circumvent the floor of the cap.  Which cuts into the players portion of HRR.  This is appalling on many levels.  I can't believe that the players wouldn't grieve this.

Not quite, the Devils weren't trying to circumvent the floor of the cap.  Which cuts into the players portion of HRR.  This is appalling on many levels.  I can't believe that the players wouldn't grieve this.

It does the opposite.  The less money the Islanders (or any team) pays in real dollars to their players, the more money each player in the league gets.  Fake dollars = good for the rest of the union.

I think the Isles are trying to set some sort of record for amount of players under contract who don't actually play for the team. Thomas, Visnovsky, DiPietro, and hey, are they still paying Yashin?

I think the Isles are trying to set some sort of record for amount of players under contract who don't actually play for the team. Thomas, Visnovsky, DiPietro, and hey, are they still paying Yashin?

I think DiPi is not hurt at the moment and is playing so IDK if he counts in that list