2015 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

It's all but assured that Harvin is getting cut, his salary is basically written on the ledger in pencil.

If Marshall's got anything left in the tank football-wise, this is a good move. But like MadDog said, he's a bit out of control...

Whoever the QB is- whether it's Foles, Geno, a draft pick, whoever- he better have thick skin if he's gonna be dealing with Brandon Marshall. Edited by MadDog2020

I guess Harvin is getting cut now? Or are we really keeping three WR's at big money?

I say the latter. What better way to entice a QB to come here than: Percy Harvin, Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall & Jeremy Kerley as the WR's? If the Jets can restructure Percy's contract, then why the hell not? I can't see Harvin (at only 26 years of age) having any leverage, as he goes to his 4th different team since 2012. He already has a reputation as a malcontent.. so --you would think-- that he'd toe the company line.

This is a great model for Maccagnan to start with heading into 2015. It's a pass-happy, offense driven league.. about fvcking time we wake up and live in the now!

In 2010, we headed into training camp with: Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Jericho Cotchery, Laveranues Coles, and Brad Smith as our WR's. We ended up winning 13 games, and playing in a Championship.. ---and for the last 5 fvcking years, we have moved further & further away from that anatomy. Refreshing to see shades of that composition once again.

You can also draft a WR in the middle rounds and have a cheap #3 option. Teams were falling into WR's last year, everyone but Idzik managed to draft at least one contributor and this draft is supposedly deep at WR too.

It's just too much cap space to allocate to WR unless both restructure their deals. They still need to upgrade the secondary big time (and if they're serious about bringing Merc Island back you'll need $15 million for that), need money for Mo's new deal, perhaps may need to replace Harris assuming he goes to Buffalo and also need to upgrade the o-line.

As far as attracting a QB, who are they going to attract, Ryan Fitzmagic? The FA crop is garbage. If they upgrade at QB it has to be a Foles type trade. Or they just draft Mariotta.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Harvin will be cut. Bringing in Marshall and cutting Harvin saves the Jets like 1mil against the cap anyway. I would love to see him restructure though I'm not holding my breath that he will.

I like the trade. Marshall isn't young but he's not super old either. He's big, physical, and a malcontent. But he's also the bigtime receiving talent that the Jets have lacked for a long long time. I just hope the Jets supplement Marshall with another good young receiver that they pick in the draft. Decker and Marshall are good, but I think we need some more speed underneath and over the top (Kerley sort of satisfies part of that equation)

Hey at least they're out there, being bold, trying to acquire bigtime talent. Marshall may blow up in their faces but at least this administration is trying to Sandy/Wilpon their way to wins

Edited by '7'

Revis & Wilfork both go to the Jets. Watch.

Revis may happen. But Wilfork at this point in his career I'm not too sure about. His snaps would be limited at his age, but he's still a difference maker when on the field

Revis may happen. But Wilfork at this point in his career I'm not too sure about. His snaps would be limited at his age, but he's still a difference maker when on the field

I think even more now that Revis will happen for the Jets.  This is the kind of splash move that a new GM loves to make, especially since it shows the fanbase that the Idzik way is 1000% dead and buried...the Jets are obviously going to be active.  Only way the Jets don't get Revis is if he decides that having a better chance to win a Super Bowl in 2016 trumps everything else, because I think the Jets will offer him the best deal, and will be as aggressive as they can be in trying to sign him.  It won't be for lack of effort. 

I think even more now that Revis will happen for the Jets.  This is the kind of splash move that a new GM loves to make, especially since it shows the fanbase that the Idzik way is 1000% dead and buried...the Jets are obviously going to be active.  Only way the Jets don't get Revis is if he decides that having a better chance to win a Super Bowl in 2016 trumps everything else, because I think the Jets will offer him the best deal, and will be as aggressive as they can be in trying to sign him.  It won't be for lack of effort. 

Revis I can see becoming the ultimate mercenary for the rest of his career. He may yet play for like 3 more teams

It wouldn't shock me if he just uses the desperate Jets to just drive his price up, and then bolt to a more ready made team like Pittsburgh or perhaps Dallas or Detroit. How much of his love of being with the Jets was just a love of Rex Ryan? Who knows what a Revis/Bowles dynamic would be?

He's a smart cagey guy, he sees the Jets just brought in Marshall so they look serious about winning...but still there is no QB. We have to have some sort of QB certainty and soon with this franchise. Be it Mariotta or Foles or somebody else. It has to happen. And we need it to attract serious free agents.

Edited by '7'

Revis I can see becoming the ultimate mercenary for the rest of his career. He may yet play for like 3 more teams

It wouldn't shock me if he just uses the desperate Jets to just drive his price up, and then bolt to a more ready made team like Pittsburgh or perhaps Dallas or Detroit. How much of his love of being with the Jets was just a love of Rex Ryan? Who knows what a Revis/Bowles dynamic would be?

He's a smart cagey guy, he sees the Jets just brought in Marshall so they look serious about winning...but still there is no QB. We have to have some sort of QB certainty and soon with this franchise. Be it Mariotta or Foles or somebody else. It has to happen. And we need it to attract serious free agents.

Really hard to say, re:  Revis at this point.  The Jets are going wine and dine him and it wouldn't surprise me if they put together one of those "The Future is NOW!" kind of videos GMs sometimes arm themselves with...I think Sather did that with Holik.  But yeah, unless Revis drops off in ability very quickly, I think whatever team he signs with won't be his last.  And I think wherever he winds up playing is going to be for two years, maybe three tops.

What will be interesting is how the Jets will sell it if they get him.  It will probably be played out like a big homecoming, with Revis saying he never wanted to leave NY and is thrilled to be back where he belongs.  Until 2-3 years later, when he sees what other CBs are making.   

I don't have a problem with Revis being a merc...like I said, not for me to judge his intentions or motivations.  But I think it's one of those things that employers and fans have to accept about him before they grow too attached to him. 

as someone with no rooting interest in the matter -revis to the jets would piss me off as a football fan, because it would be like they got richardson for nothing. i understand its within the rules, but after only a 2 season break its lame

as someone with no rooting interest in the matter -revis to the jets would piss me off as a football fan, because it would be like they got richardson for nothing. i understand its within the rules, but after only a 2 season break its lame

This is fairly commonplace in the world of sports

It resulted in the Patriots getting a 4th Superbowl.

..nuff said

Whoever the QB is, whether it's Foles, Geno, a draft pick, whoever.

Mariota falls to #6. Eagles give the Jets 2 firsts, a second, and Foles. You gotta take the deal if you're the Jets.

As far as attracting a QB, who are they going to attract, Ryan Fitzmagic? FA crop is garbage. If they upgrade at QB it has to be Foles. Or they draft Mariotta.

We have to have some sort of QB certainty and soon. Be it Mariotta or Foles or somebody else. It has to happen. And we need it to attract serious free agents.

what does it matter if u dont have a qb to throw to any of them. whos ur qb next season? geno smith?

:ninja: Jay Cutler? :tomato:

Edited by Beezer34

:ninja: Jay Cutler? :tomato:[/q

quote]

I wouldn't say no Beez. Yes he has some strikes against him. At his best he can be Favre like, at his worst he can be....Favre like. But I think Chitown may be keeping him for at least one more year.

I know the Jets are desperate for a QB, but do they really want Jay Cutler?

He had 30 TD's last season.. nearly 4,000 yrds.. and a Comp% of 66%. (good enough for 8th in the league)

Sign me up.

As for the Harris signing, yea too many years but supposedly there is a thin ILB crop in the draft as well as free agency. So a replacement would not be easy to find. He was really the best on the market. Glad he's retained

He had 30 TD's last season.. nearly 4,000 yrds.. and a Comp% of 66%. (good enough for 8th in the league)

Sign me up.

He had 28 TD last season, but was tied for the league lead with 18 INT (you can't just cherry-pick the stats that you think made him look good), and his 3,812 yards (ranked 13th) aren't really anything special considering that his team was trailing in a lot of games (where you'd think, if anything, he'd be able to bloat his passing yards a little).   I think the last thing the Jets need is another turnover-prone QB...considering what Foles did in 2013, I'd take my chances with him before Cutler (130 INT in 119 GP).  The Bears also ranked 23rd in points-for, with 319.   

His numbers over his last 9 games of the year were pretty bad too:  15 TD, 12 INT, and the only wins he picked up down the stretch were against Tampa Bay and Minnesota.  He also got benched for Jimmy Clausen.  With his cap hit, even though his physical tools will always make him intriguing, if I'm the Jets I take a pass.  It's just too risky, especially in this market.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Not sure why we think any team would reunite Cutler and Marshall

The Jets need to make a statement, and (although the two players come with baggage) beggar's can't be choosers.

Cutler & Marshall played 3 seasons in Denver.. and 3 more seasons together in Chicago. (so you know there's chemistry there) The Jets may be one of the only teams in the NFL with enough cap-space to absorb Cutler this year.

As Has pointed out earlier, there is no real answer @ QB in FA this offseason. And as far as the draft.. the Jets have already used 3 draft picks between the 1st & 2nd round(s) over the last 8 years on: Sanchez, Clemens & Geno. Mariota may very well fall to us @ #6.. but it will be a PR nightmare if the Jets throw yet ANOTHER rookie QB to the lions, and have him baptized under fire. The ideal situation is to have Mariota hold the clipboard for a season or two.. the same way Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Tony Romo.. and other extremely successful quarterbacks have done aswell. I was never in favor of this new craze that started in 2002 where 22 year old kids are simply anointed the starter. If we get Mariota.. have the kid start his career on the fvcking bench.

Jay Cutler in New York would be an epic dumpster fire crossed with a ticking time bomb.  I know the Jets are desperate for a QB, but do they really want Jay Cutler?

Yeah there's that too...I want no part of Cutler.  The only way I would have been convinced to bring him in is if Shanny was the coach, but he isn't so I'm not sure anyone can work with him.  From what it sounds like Geno's actually more popular here than Cutler is in that locker room which is mind-boggling.

In that same system where he had Marshall/Jeffery/Forte/Bennett to work with he was outplayed by a journeyman two years ago and got benched for another journeyman last year.  He's basically Jeff George.  We talk about how Jet QB's have had no weapons, he's had plenty of weapons and still couldn't get it done.

Edited by NJDevs4978