Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

can we please not boo next home game?

I get many are hurt over the fact the song is gone, but we sound stupid as hell booing goals cause many outside of our fan base understand why there's booing.

Stupid people are going to boo, but there's not much you can do about it.

Just hope they find a suitable replacement. If these three options suck, I'm going to be pretty pissed.

not really true, i do go to alot of islander games bc of how close they are to my house and chant to the beat of the song.  they still do the rangers suck song every game which everyone chants in (a great part of the game for the fans)

People against "you suck" are talking about specifically goals.  It's just not an appropriate time to chant it.

Not sure if it was mentioned in another post, but I just got off the phone with my devils fan experience rep and she said that at the next home games they are going to try out 3 different songs and have the fans vote on it via social media. She said that as many people that have complained about the goal song change there were just as many softies who were complaining about the “you suck” in the goal song. She said that it is definitely changing and not going to be rock and roll part 2 in the near future. It was the new president’s idea.

from a tg article

-http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/larsson_carter_to_sit_to_make_room_for_fayne_olesz_in_devils_lineup_tonight/#sthash.fGQedUPU.dpuf   3rd comment

sorry if this was already posted

Yes this has been posted in the thread.

can we please not boo next home game?

I get many are hurt over the fact the song is gone, but we sound stupid as hell booing goals cause many outside of our fan base understand why there's booing.

For some reason we are way too attached to this song for whatever reason.  I still don't understand why it's a big deal at all.

Stupid people are going to boo, but there's not much you can do about it. Just hope they find a suitable replacement. If these three options suck, I'm going to be pretty pissed.

Lets say all three choices do suck.  Will you seriously let it bother you that much?

Lets say all three choices do suck.  Will you seriously let it bother you that much?

I'll answer this. In a word: yes. I'm a season ticket holder and let me tell you how much a good goal song can make a difference. I've only missed a handful of games the past two seasons (I wanna say 4), and it's a grind. There are days where I'm just not mentally there as a crowd member and then the goal song hits and fvck yeah, I'm into it and losing my mind with everyone else. If the song sucks, it's gonna kill a BIG part of the experience and make the season drag. Also, just the fact that after YEARS of hearing bullsh!t about our crowd, it would really be disappointing if the new song was just something that the crowd couldn't get into it because the environment has really been awesome as of late and it would suck to lose that.

Edited by PWW

I'll answer this. In a word: yes. I'm a season ticket holder and let me tell you how much a good goal song can make a difference. I've only missed a handful of games the past two seasons (I wanna say 4), and it's a grind. There are days where I'm just not mentally there as a crowd member and then the goal song hits and fvck yeah, I'm into it and losing my mind with everyone else. If the song sucks, it's gonna kill a BIG part of the experience and make the season drag. Also, just the fact that after YEARS of hearing bullsh!t about our crowd, it would really be disappointing if the new song was just something that the crowd couldn't get into it because the environment has really been awesome as of late and it would suck to lose that.

Yea but it's the crowd that creates the atmosphere.  The goal song doesn't.  If the goal song was what made the atmosphere in an arena, then practically 3/4 of the arenas would be dead.

Yea but it's the crowd that creates the atmosphere.  The goal song doesn't.  If the goal song was what made the atmosphere in an arena, then practically 3/4 of the arenas would be dead.

Yes, but it facilitates that atmosphere. Without one, you don't have the other, and vice versa. You also need a good team to cheer. There are a lot of things that go into it and without any of them it just isn't the same. I mean, go no further than the reaction on the first goal at home, even before the booing. It was just stunned nothing. The right goal song makes a world of difference.

not really true, i do go to alot of islander games bc of how close they are to my house and chant to the beat of the song.  they still do the rangers suck song every game which everyone chants in (a great part of the game for the fans)

Do they use R&R Part 2?  No, they don't.  They still use the 'Let's Go Band', but they do not play R&R Part 2.

When I said there was an additional component to the Nashville 'You suck!', there's other lyrics in addition to shouting 'You suck', I never knew what they were, but googling it shows that it exists.

But they still use the "song." Isn't that half of the argument...

No.  I love R&R Part 2 - even though it was written by a scummy human being - and so do a lot of fans around the NHL.  Most of them aren't compelled to shout 'You suck!' at.. their own team?  The other team?  Well, someone sucks, and in Nashville, they're going to hear about it, at least.  

wah wah wah.. i honestly can believe this thread is still going on here over a song!.. we should just show them they cant change us no matter what song they choose just continue to chant the you suck

You can.  But unless you find a way to incorporate "you suck" into the goal song, the organization would still be the victor.

Yes, but it facilitates that atmosphere. Without one, you don't have the other, and vice versa. You also need a good team to cheer. There are a lot of things that go into it and without any of them it just isn't the same. I mean, go no further than the reaction on the first goal at home, even before the booing. It was just stunned nothing. The right goal song makes a world of difference.

The goal song is still not needed to have a great crowd atmosphere.  Most baseball teams don't have home run songs.  Most football teams don't have touchdown songs.  They simply let the crowd noise be audible without the presence of a song.

You can.  But unless you find a way to incorporate "you suck" into the goal song, the organization would still be the victor.

The goal song is still not needed to have a great crowd atmosphere.  Most baseball teams don't have home run songs.  Most football teams don't have touchdown songs.  They simply let the crowd noise be audible without the presence of a song.

you can get a you suck, rangers suck or some other variation of suck chants in most songs.  And if not, I'm betting the crowd will stat chanting it after the new bell when anouncng the goals.  Thats a great time for some chant so somethings gonna come up.  Is the chicken dance going away?  happy and you know it?  YMCA, even the birthday song.  

I could hear a 'fvck you fvck ball' in honor of Gandolfi and Dennis Farina after every goal regardless of song. New owners say you suck doesn't sound so bad now.

What does a guy owning a philly basketball team or and ex msg operator know about family atmosphere?  And didn't this franchise go away from family atmosphere when you move to Newark?

For some reason we are way too attached to this song for whatever reason.  I still don't understand why it's a big deal at all.

I don't think fans are that attached to the song.  I think most of them would've been very open to the idea of a new goal song, provided the Devils didn't handle it in the worst possible way.  The way the Devils went about it is why fans are hanging onto it so much...it has much more to do with principle than the song itself...the song is now more of a rallying point than a nostalgic one.   

Maybe one of these days, someone who should know better will realize that there's much better ways to effect change than ramming something down people's throats without their consent.  There would have been some resistance to changing the goal song, but nothing like what we've seen, and this all could've been so much more painless with just the slightest bit of foresight and planning.  I'm still baffled that someone thought this would be a great idea, and that others signed off on it.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Again, I didn't say it was needed. I said it helped. Bottom line, when you have a struggling team AND a crappy goal song, the crowd reaction will suffer. However, a good goal song that people can get behind can get the crowd into it even when the team isn't playing all that great because they simply enjoy doing it.

Edited by PWW

My vote..although I know some of you won't like the song, at all:

https://soundcloud.com/downtown56/devils-goal-song-van-halen

Credit to downtown56, not sure if he's a member of these forums or not but well done.

Haha, this one is fun: https://soundcloud.com/downtown56/devils-goal-horn-with-mcr-na

I sort of like the FOB one, same song they used during the intros.

<edit> This one, no doubt the best: https://soundcloud.com/kieran-byrne-5/devils-troll-goal

Edited by mrthemike

I hate the fact that they just threw the new songs on us. Why not vote before the season starts so the fans aren't surprised about the huge change? This is jsut stupid.

Also, anyone else think they played "This is Our House" extremely loud so people couldn't chant "you suck"?

Credit to downtown56, not sure if he's a member of these forums or not but well done.

I like this one. Two reasons it wouldn't even be considered if submitted:

1) the obvious, people are still going to say "Hey Hey Hey, YOU SUCK" - they'll be looking for a song as hard as possible to fit profanity into, unfortunately.

2) it's too old of a song, or too old of a band, I would bet they go for either: a newer band-someone more young people know, an older band with a new-age kind of song, or someone they try to use as a flimsy tie-in to something else (like what they were probably going for with Bon Jovi, a "jersey connection")

I think because of reason 1 though, they would throw this out immediately.

would be good, but you want something to chant to, this one will just have people be saying ooooohohohoohhhoohhhhohoh. Problem is, almost anything with a chant of some kind will invite someone to invent a profanity laced chant. They won't go for it. Unfortunately this new management is a little too family friendly and care more about parents who want to nag about profanity, than anything that a large number of people would otherwise get behind and participate in. Between this, the constant pushes to outlaw fighting, and all the crazy things they're doing just to try and minimize possible injuries, they're taking a lot out of the game that's been there forever. Pretty soon it'll all be finesse and no grit.

Edited by Legion15

Can someone do a mock up with the chorus Hells Bells, Highway to Hell, and Thunderstruck?

I like it.

Haha, this one is fun: https://soundcloud.com/downtown56/devils-goal-horn-with-mcr-na

I sort of like the FOB one, same song they used during the intros.

I'm definitely down for MCR and FOB.

Amazing!  Somebody should send these to management!

Can someone do a mock up with the chorus Hells Bells, Highway to Hell, and Thunderstruck?

I like it.

I'm definitely down for MCR and FOB.

Amazing!  Somebody should send these to management!

What is MCR and FOB? I feel lost. I also can't get the page to open and play like it should.