Official 2011 New York Mets Thread

NJDevs4978

The entire training staff all got boo'ed but the equipment and clubhouse personnel all got cheered - I thought that was pretty hilarious. Dan Warthen and Jerry Manuel got mixed reactions. HoJo received a great cheer. Razor Shines received some boo's while Chip Hale got cheered. As for the players, Perez was boo'ed pretty heavily, Castillo got somewhat of a mixed reaction (some fans were yelling 'Luuiissss' while others were boo'ing). Sean Green was boo'ed. Bay, Wright, and K-Rod all received big cheers.

lol

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back from the game... I really don't have much to say other than this was an extremely frustrating, emotional-rollercoaster game. Maine stunk, he constantly fell behind hitters, and his velocity appeared underwhelming. The Marlins bullpen was a joke; they pretty much handed the Mets a win, but the Mets didn't take it. I guess if there was one positive it was that they put in some pretty gritty at bats in the later innings to fight back, but again, a lot of it was the Marlins' undoing.

Edited by nmigliore

Minor League baseball begins tonight!

AAA: Tobi Stoner is starting for the Bisons (the rotation might be lacking, but the Bisons have a pretty sweet lineup and bullpen this year).

AA: Eric Niesen is starting for the Mets.

High-A: Jeurys Familia is starting for the Mets.

A: Armando Rodriguez is starting for the Sand Gnats.

And from the 'well why the hell not' department: Eddie Kunz will be a STARTER in AA.

For those that want to follow the minor leagues, milb.com is where you can access the box scores, and I highly recommend metsminorleagueblog.com, which covers the entire Mets' system, as well as scoutingthesally.com, which is a terrific site that covers the South Atlantic League's prospects and frequently puts up scouting reports on Sand Gnats' players.

I would check out metsminorleagueblog.com for the rosters. In terms of promotions, there hasn't been anything surprising, but its really nice to see Jefry Marte and Wilmer Flores returning to Savannah instead of being rushed up to high-A.

Edited by nmigliore

Back from the game... I really don't have much to say other than this was an extremely frustrating, emotional-rollercoaster game. Maine stunk, he constantly fell behind hitters, and his velocity appeared underwhelming. The Marlins bullpen was a joke; they pretty much handed the Mets a win, but the Mets didn't take it. I guess if there was one positive it was that they put in some pretty gritty at bats in the later innings to fight back, but again, a lot of it was the Marlins' undoing.

I agree 100% with everything you said.

Maine still stinks...I said at the time that his career year was '07, and all he keeps doing is proving me right. Sadly he's now a 5-inning, 3 or 4-run guy who doesn't fool anyone anymore. It wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't the #2 starter.

Looks like "Santana and the rest will drive you bananas", as far as this rotation goes. But that was expected.

And yeah, don't want to hear how the Mets "rallied". That was almost entirely the Marlins' doing. The Mets clearly aren't a good team, but the Marlins reminded me of last year's Mets in so many ways...man did they look bad.

Looks like "Santana and the rest will drive you bananas", as far as this rotation goes. But that was expected.

And yeah, don't want to hear how the Mets "rallied". That was almost entirely the Marlins' doing. The Mets clearly aren't a good team, but the Marlins reminded me of last year's Mets in so many ways...man did they look bad.

I don't know whether to laugh or roll my eyes...but that is a good line.

Basically going into the season I had miniscule confidence in Maine and Niese, zero confidence in Pelfrey and negative confidence in Ollie, so far I might have to downgrade Maine. I do think it's too bad he's had all the arm troubles the last couple years, I think he - unlike Pelf - had the tools to be consistent and a far better head on his shoulders than Ollie, and I don't want to completely sell the stock in one game since he might still be feeling the effects of the virus/food poisoning/whatever but I'd say last night was more bad than good despite the rally.

I do give them credit for the rally though, they had to work out some good at bats as much as the Marlin defense gave it away. Francoeur going from 0-2 to a walk, you wouldn't have seen that last year for example. Unfortunately it looked like an '08 rally where they came back and the pen blew it anyway.

I don't know whether to laugh or roll my eyes...but that is a good line.

Basically going into the season I had miniscule confidence in Maine and Niese, zero confidence in Pelfrey and negative confidence in Ollie, so far I might have to downgrade Maine. I do think it's too bad he's had all the arm troubles the last couple years, I think he - unlike Pelf - had the tools to be consistent and a far better head on his shoulders than Ollie, and I don't want to completely sell the stock in one game since he might still be feeling the effects of the virus/food poisoning/whatever but I'd say last night was more bad than good despite the rally.

I do give them credit for the rally though, they had to work out some good at bats as much as the Marlin defense gave it away. Francoeur going from 0-2 to a walk, you wouldn't have seen that last year for example. Unfortunately it looked like an '08 rally where they came back and the pen blew it anyway.

The Mets did do some nice things (as you've pointed out with Francoeur), but I still put most of that comeback on the shoulders of the Marlins.

Yeah, I needed something to rhyme with Santana, out came banana, that was that. Your expectations are pretty much dead on, in that we can't realistically expect much from this bunch. Omar and the Mets will always point to each pitchers' one or two good seasons as reason to hope, as we all know.

with no Reyes or Beltran this is going to be a below average offensive team...sometimes your just going to get games like this. They've should hit Robertson harder but they are the Mets...nothing goes according to script.

we just have to be patient for now, let's hope they can hang around .500 until Beltran comes back.

Weird start...there's only one undefeated team left in the whole major leagues...San Francisco is 3-0.

As for the Mets, so far overall they've looked like what they are: a team that flat-out isn't very good and isn't likely to be a contender. They're not in the position to waste a quality start from a guy like Niese...who knows how many quality starts he'll come up with? Or anyone not named Santana for that matter?

Anyway, the one bonus of the Mets falling out of things early (not saying they will, too early for that, but I had this team winning 80 games for a reason), is that Omar and Jerry will be shown the door.

They're not in the position to waste a quality start from a guy like Niese...who knows how many quality starts he'll come up with?

I think Niese will be pretty effective this year. Hes not afraid to pound the strikezone with his fastball and cutter (that 3-pitch strikeout vs Ramirez was beautiful), and it will only be a matter of time before he gains more confidence in his change-up. His curveball is already fantastic, I'm surprised how little he threw it last night.

Castillo is not playing tonight with a calf injury, but hes only expected to miss 1 game. Defensively speaking, this actually might be a blessing in disguise for Pelfrey to have Tejada at SS and Cora, who probably has a bit more range that Castillo, at 2B. Speaking of Pelfrey, its going to be interesting watching him pitch tonight - watch for an increase of secondary pitches. He's added a splitter to his repertoire and hes going to use his curveball, slider, and change-up more frequently, which should, in effect, really help his sinker.

Oh and Ike Davis had a great debut in AAA last night: 3-for-4 with 2 doubles, 1 of which was off of lefty Boone Logan, which is nice to see of course. Another top prospect, Wilmer Flores, also had a nice 3-hit night for the Savannah Sand Gnats.

Edited by nmigliore

Nice win for the Mets.

The command wasn't spectacular (4 walks), but Pelfrey pitched decently. Flashed a pretty nice splitter at times.

Rod Barajas and Jeff Francoeur - wow, 2 homeruns each!

Takahashi and Nieve are clearly becoming Jerry favorites. I just hope these guys don't get over-used; Nieve has already pitched in every game while Takahashi has pitched in 3 of the 4 games.

Oh, and David Wright must really hate Citi Field right about now. :P

Well the Mets battled back and showed life in the 9th, of course Willie Harris makes the catch. Barajas hit in on the button...flat out bad luck.

maybe one of these days the mets will get a big hit in a clutch spot, they sure are getting closer.

Edited by '7'

Well the Mets battled back and showed life in the 9th, of course Willie Harris makes the catch. Barajas hit in on the button...flat out bad luck.

maybe one of these days the mets will get a big hit in a clutch spot, they sure are getting closer.

Well at least yesterday wasn't as bad as the unassisted triple play last year :lol: Man it does seem like we can't catch a break...even when we don't strike out and hit the ball hard in a big spot it always seems to find someone, especially when Willy Harris is out there :P

Welcome to Citi Field Jason Bay. A sure double at Fenway turns into a long out in deep left center, then Francouer absolutely murders a a pitch 415 feet to death valley right center. A HR turns into a triple and the Mets come away with nothing as Matthews flies out to end the inning.

What a depressing game. Santana with 1 really bad inning while the lineup is struggling to plate runs against Livan Hernandez. Maybe playing a series in Coors Field will help.

Did anyone see that throw from Francoeur to get Dunn at the plate though? That was awesome. What a cannon.

Edited by nmigliore

Well, Opening Day was kind of nice. Back to the same old, same old. The sooner the Mets fall out of it (and they will...this team has nothing going on), the sooner the Mets can start taking a look at guys like Ike Davis. Yesterday's HR notwithstanding, Mike Jacobs is just an awful player...hard to believe it's the same guy who came up with such a bang when he debuted.

Unfortunately, I don't think Davis is coming until Murphy shows his mediocrity first, which may be a blessing in disguise because of the service time/arbitration clock. Still, I'll be shocked if he isn't up by July, unless Murphy is having an incredible year.

Positive side note: Dillon Gee returned to the mound for the first time in almost a year for the Bisons yesterday and tossed 6 scoreless innings, giving up only 2 hits and walking none; his ceiling might not be all that high, but a strike-thrower like him should latch on as a decent back of the rotation starter at the big league level. With the fragility of John Maine and the enigma known as Oliver Perez, I'm fairly optimistic we will see Gee this year, as long as hes healthy. Come to think of it, now that we lost Figueroa, hes probably our top starting depth arm at AAA to call on (unless you favor Misch).

Edited by nmigliore