NFL Week 16...and then there were two.....

CRASHER

Two weeks to go….geesh amazing how much of a blurr the NFL season always seems to be right?? A good week of hockey (finally…damn good to be back out there again!)….and no Thursday Night game….it makes for a lazy Scott and a delayed preview….and a BIG Football Sunday with the playoff goal almost in sight for 12 teams…..

Sunday December 22nd:

1pm:

Miami at Buffalo:

HUGE game for the Dolphins here….win and they’re in….I hear a lot of people call this “Controlling one’s Destiny”….then Chip Kelly made a funny and showed how silly this is “you realize the concept of destiny is that your future is laid out and pre-determined right? So if you go by that it’s IMPOSSIBLE to “control your own destiny”…right?” Well played Chip Kelly….anyway….this is about Miami and them doing what they need to do…and not to mention a certain Clown-type Bills fan decided to call this “the Bills Super Bowl this year”….we know how the Bills work out in those Super Bowls….giggity!

Winner: Miami

Game Quality: ***

Saints at Carolina:

I’m still amazed how severely the Saints got their asses KICKED in St Louis last week…I know they ain’t good on the road….but it was a fraking DOME!! Offensive Linemen got benched….dogs were kicked….and now….aww crap…it’s Carolina… who’s not only really good at home…but the game is on grass and don’t think the Panthers forgot a few weeks ago so quickly…the Saints left the door WIDE OPEN for the Panthers…and now with the home field, they’re about to kick it in on them!!!!

Winner: Panthers

Game Quality: *** ½

Vikings at Bengals:

The Vikings did have a pretty huge win last week (and in all irony prolonged the Cowboy season another week or two…)….and the Bengals got killed by horrific special teams (and a punter with a broken freaking neck….still dudes…he’s just a punter…kick the damn ball and run for cover!), things did work out well for the Bengals though…any AFC division winner playing actual NFL talent also crapped the bed last week and are still looking at an unlikely chance at the 2-seed….just allow Adrian Peterson to run wild this week and all will be lovely….Matt Cassel will suck and everything will be roses in the fantasy and reality universe! Aside of that…not much else to see here….better games to be on at 1pm!

Winner: Bengals

Game Quality: ** (well it matters TO ME #APOwnerInTheFinals)

Denver at Houston:

The Texicans have lost 12 games in a row….the Broncos are miffed about the San Diego game and looking to lock up the ol’home field…..this is a no brainer….Houston mailed it in a month ago…..

Winner: Broncos

Game Quality: DUD

Titans at Jaguars:

Holy crap…what in the blue hell do I say about this??? Two crap teams I have like NO interest in (though if the Jags had been rolling I’d be all about them still….ah well), but these teams now…..geesh….ah no one’s reading this anyway….I like what the Jaguars have better, I should post some rant about killing small kittens due to being enraged by the intolerable goal song the Devils have now….just to see if anyone’s paying attention….screw this game….

Winner: Jaguars

Game Quality: *

Colts at Chiefs:

Tough game to really get a gauge on….can Jamaal Charles do half of what he did last week?? YES PLEASE!!!! The Colts keep winning ugly and will probably host this team in two weeks in their own building….so we could see a lot of generic pre-season style offenses…Chiefs are good at home…and generic offenses mean good things for running backs….I’m all in favor of Jamaal taking me to the promised land this week! I’ve noticed as I feel like this write-up has been mailed in this week…but there’s many a mailed in game this week too…..

Winner: Chiefs

Game Quality: ** ¾

Browns at Jets:

Alright Jet fans…I get it…you don’t like me….I certainly don’t like most of you (that’s generous)….and with that I don’t ask for a lot…..but that changes today….I ask for the miracle of miracles….I can’t ask you to know Campbell out of the game, then Weeden would just throw to Gordon 150 times anyway….but especially with Cam Jordan out…there’s nowhere else to go on this team….this could be another painful display of offense from both teams if the Jets do the right thing and murder Gordon (yes a game ending injury IS acceptable….)….and damn….the Browns lost five in a row…make it six!

Winner: Jets (yes really :P)

Game Quality: ** (STOP FLASH GORDON!!!)

Tampa Bay at St Louis:

The Rams are 1-4 in the division….and 5-4 outside of it….weird….and the win over the Saints last week is one of those momentum type wins that can get the Rams rolling and finish the season off strong and add some legit hope for 2014 (the Redskins giving them a top 3 pick helps too…)…Tampa had a cute little run, but they’re still 4-10, and in need of NFL-level coaching….show ‘em how its done Jeff Fisher!!

Winner: Rams

Game Quality: ** (maybe in fantasy value alone)

Dallas at Washington:

OH BOY….forget the most wonderful time of the year….it’s the most dysfunctional teams of the year!!! Neither one of these teams could stop a bantam A midget team on the other side of the field….both teams have big offenses that give up on the run and their big back in the big spots….and both teams have buffoon head coaches who need be fired sooner than later….normally I’d be armed for bear and ready for the epic Cowboy loss and collapse here….but there’s no style points for losing here when you can get flexed next week and take your annual sh!t on national TV for all the world to enjoy (and me to hide away at home just thanking God I still have ice hockey games to play)….maybe Shanahan goes for two at the end of the game and flips off Dan Snyder on the way out Patrick Roy-style? I’d be all for that…this will be a train wreck…but one you can NOT miss…..

Winner: Dallas

Game Quality: *** (this will look like an arena football game…..)

4pm:

NY Giants at Lions:

No Cruz, no JPP, and for some ungodly reason they keep rolling Eli Manning out there every week….even Tony Romo can laugh at some of HIS interceptions this year…geesh, the Giants too have seemed to close up shop this year and called it in….that should be good for the Lions…especially at home….but it’s sooo hard to trust this team, they’ve done everything they can possibly do to give back the NFC North that Chi and GB are trying to gift to them…look at that Ravens game last week…but this could be one of those weeks Calvin goes OFF on the Giants secondary since the Giants are pretty barren there….I’ll take the Lions simply because they got something to play for….

Winner: Lions

Game Quality: DUD

Arizona at Seattle:

It’s a shame….Arizona’s had a nice season and if they had played San Fran THIS week they’d still be able to fight and crawl into a playoff spot with a win…but that means going into Seattle and WINNING….that just don’t happen…sorry ‘bout yo’ damn luck there Cardinals….though maybe Aryans can actually get the coach of the year award on his own like he should have last year…..

Winner: Seattle

Game Quality: ** (a lil cred to the Cardinals)

Steelers at Green Bay:

Can the Packers just put A-Rod on IR and be done with it already?? This is getting absurd….all Cowboys idiocy aside, the Packers are pretty much screwed without Rodgers and they know it…hell they probably figure this is a one and done team even if they DID make the playoffs and decided to not chance the Franchise on it….I can’t blame them….though I do have to give Ben some credit….no O-Line all the time…a roulette wheel of receivers, an OC he hates to the core….and an aging reputation defense….and he still finds ways to win games (can we stop the foolish debate that Eli Manning is better than this guy please??)….there’s a ton of Steeler connections on the Packers staff….but the talent is clearly shifted to the Steelers here, and ain’t no way the Steelers gonna give you two interceptions during the four minute drill…..

Winner: Steelers

Game Quality: ** ¾

Oakland at San Diego:

Oakland is another team that has pretty much mailed it in….the coach is on Craig’s List already hoping and praying for another job next season…somewhere (to be fair to him, with the cap purge and the disappointment of certain running backs wearing #20, its hard to blame the coach for not turning a turd into a shiny diamond after all)….the Chargers too are kicking themselves for some crappy early season losses, but the Chargers are healthy…winners of two in a row (including that epic win last week in Denver), and still hope for the playoffs….that’s enough to pick them here!

Winner: Chargers

Game Quality: * ¾

Baltimore at New England:

Tough game to figure out….the Pats are hurting without Gronk and the running game is slowing down…hell even Tom Brady botched his trademark finisher and got picked off in the end zone to seal the win for Miami…..strange things are indeed afoot at the Circle K….the Ravens…yeah they won four in a row…but they ain’t running the ball, they have a spotty passing game (improved with Pitta mind you)….and still a defense that hasn’t clicked…or gotten it right yet…but they’ve won in this building before….and I just can’t trust the Patriots in the big spot right now….they don’t have the firepower on either side of the ball….

Winner: Ravens

Game Quality: ***

8pm:

Chicago at Phily:

This is such a tough one to get a read on….will it matter to the Bears by the time the game kicks off?? Same thing with Phily….if Dallas wins (hardly a give) this game is a practice for the Eagles….all that crap is so hard to figure out….well aside of Dallas doing enough to not blow it till NEXT week….the Eagles have gotten better at home, and the Bears defense is still hideous…

Winner: Eagles

Game Quality: **

Monday November 26:

Atlanta at 49ers:

At least the NFL meant well setting up the last game in Candlestick Park being with an old rival and was supposed to be a good game with lots on the line….well no one bothered to tell Atlanta that….it all blew up on them this year (as we know)….and this is just my ace in the hole game that if the Eagles don’t want to play Foles for the entire game, I can slip Kapernick in my championship game and after all the grief and rage I’ve thrown at him this year….watch him like another mobile black QB who wore #7 on the last game of the week….ran me to a championship…..that kinda synergy is beautiful and I got medical bills to pay dammit!!!

Winner: 49ers

Game Quality: DUD (this is a coronation ceremony for 3-Com-Stick Park)

NFL Power Rankings Week 15:

AFC:

1. Denver…we don’t talk about San Diego….
  2. New England….we don’t talk about Gronk…or Hernandez…you get the point
  3. Cincinnati …..we don’t talk about the Steelers…..
  4. Ravens.... we don’t talk about selling our souls to get calls…..
  5. Chiefs….we don’t talk about how Andy Reid looks like BAD SANTA in red….

NFC:

1. Seattle….had a nice walkthrough at the home of the Super Bowl….
  2. 49ers….starting to fire it up…..
  3. Eagles…thanking the NFL for the Christmas Gift schedule
  4. New Orleans….How the HELL did they lose to the Rams!?!?!?!
  5. Carolina….game of the year for them this week……

the Ravens…yeah they won four in a row…but they ain’t running the ball, they have a spotty passing game (improved with Pitta mind you)….and still a defense that hasn’t clicked…or gotten it right yet…

Our running game sucks because no one fears our WR's aside from double teaming Torrey Smith.  We have an all-pro FB that made our RB's look great the past several years just collecting dust on the bench.  Pitta is only playing on third downs for the most part.  Now, Flacco's  throws just looked awful after that hit to the knee.  I expect the same today.  

Our D, especially our Defensive backs have been fantastic, I don't understand how Suggs and Dumervill don't lead the league in sacks.  The coverage has been the best its ever been.

The big difference today:  #52 and #20 are not there to call the defense that typically stops Brady.

How this game is NOT on SNF is beyond me.   Who cares about Philly and Chicago

Ravens will win this one by 10+.  I think the Pats bounce back at home against the Bills, but the Ravens take this one.  If the Pats are up by 6 points or less with more than a minute left on the clock, they're screwed. 

Our running game sucks because no one fears our WR's aside from double teaming Torrey Smith.  We have an all-pro FB that made our RB's look great the past several years just collecting dust on the bench.  Pitta is only playing on third downs for the most part.  Now, Flacco's  throws just looked awful after that hit to the knee.  I expect the same today.  

Our D, especially our Defensive backs have been fantastic, I don't understand how Suggs and Dumervill don't lead the league in sacks.  The coverage has been the best its ever been.

The big difference today:  #52 and #20 are not there to call the defense that typically stops Brady.

How this game is NOT on SNF is beyond me.   Who cares about Philly and Chicago

Your running game stinks because your offensive line isn't good (and it's also possible all those carries in Baltimore ....and Rutgers) have put too many miles on Ray Rice...you have an all-pro FB in a one back offense....nice try (that's more a coaching FAIL, but that's for another time....)

Your defense is "so good" the last three opponents marched down the field and should have won those games (for Christ's sake the VIKINGS without AP scored twice after the two minute warning)....they do have good fortune on their side, that helps a LOT this time of year....

Phily and Chicago is a HUGE game for two teams fighting for their playoff lives in the conference actually putting playoff-worthy teams into the tournament, and the rise of Nick Foles is maybe one of the biggest stories of the year....

Ravens will win this one by 10+.  I think the Pats bounce back at home against the Bills, but the Ravens take this one.  If the Pats are up by 6 points or less with more than a minute left on the clock, they're screwed. 

The same's probably true the other way around too lol (the Ravens being up by 6 or less with more than a minute left and the Pats having the ball)

Phily and Chicago is a HUGE game for two teams fighting for their playoff lives in the conference actually putting playoff-worthy teams into the tournament, and the rise of Nick Foles is maybe one of the biggest stories of the year....

It would be hilarious if the game wound up meaning nothing for either team because of the division showdowns in Week 17...well not as hilarious if I need a few points from DeSean tonight.  I'm at a loss why they flexed out of NE-Baltimore, I guess maybe they were gambling one or both (Eagles/Bears) could clinch a division.  Plus NE-Baltimore caters to the East Coast markets while with Chicago you at least have a big Central market in the mix too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It would be hilarious if the game wound up meaning nothing for either team because of the division showdowns in Week 17...well not as hilarious if I need a few points from DeSean tonight.  I'm at a loss why they flexed out of NE-Baltimore, I guess maybe they were gambling one or both (Eagles/Bears) could clinch a division.  Plus NE-Baltimore caters to the East Coast markets while with Chicago you at least have a big Central market in the mix too.

Every other week CBS and FOX get to reserve a game....in all reality this was probably the CBS "protect week"

Your running game stinks because your offensive line isn't good (and it's also possible all those carries in Baltimore ....and Rutgers) have put too many miles on Ray Rice...you have an all-pro FB in a one back offense....nice try (that's more a coaching FAIL, but that's for another time....)

Your defense is "so good" the last three opponents marched down the field and should have won those games (for Christ's sake the VIKINGS without AP scored twice after the two minute warning)....they do have good fortune on their side, that helps a LOT this time of year....

Blizzard aside, no one has really marched down the field against us and we have won our last four.  Good teams make their own fortunes.

What's crazy? Arizona beats san Fran they still don't make the last spot for the playoffs with san fran holding that divison record. That sucks if st louis and arizona were in a different division they'd easily be in the playoffs. Hardest division in football.

And Green bay and detroit just gave Chicago the division

Edited by CarterforPresident

Surprised for this Seattle game. Might be good though for them in the long run not being the first seed in the play offs

They'll still get the first seed if they beat the Rams...but their aura of invincibility at home is now gone, and so's whatever rest they might have gotten next week (though THAT might wind up being a good thing for them).

Just another Sunday in the NFL eh?  I'm shocked the Dolphins got punked by the Bills too, although the Pats probably gave them a reprieve beating the Ravens.

Edited by NJDevs4978

CORO76: this is exactly the type of game I feared we were going to play. I don't even think our D is going to save us this week. Flacco is way off tonight and that is all we have.

Flacco was clearly affected...I'm glad the Pats won of course, VERY happy, but this was one of those nights where Flacco being hurt affected everything for the Ravens...Ravens' D did what it could to keep their team in the game.  Game obviously got silly at the end, with the fumble recovery and interception return for TDs against Flacco's backup.  Ravens can play some D (as always). 

They'll still get the first seed if they beat the Rams...but their aura of invincibility at home is now gone, and so's whatever rest they might have gotten next week (though THAT might wind up being a good thing for them).

Just another Sunday in the NFL eh?  I'm shocked the Dolphins got punked by the Bills too, although the Pats probably gave them a reprieve beating the Ravens.

And I'm glad the Pats did just that, now it at least gives the Jets an opportunity to end Miami's season next week.

It'd be hilarious if San Diego somehow winds up getting that last playoff berth, they're probably better than at least half the playoff teams in the AFC :P

I'd really laugh if the Eagles punked Chicago and gave the Packers another chance.  Too bad they didn't make the Steelers pay for running the ball in the endzone with too much time left on the clock.

And it's official according to Schefter, Dallas/Philly is the primetime game next week.  What a surprise.

THANK YOU ALMIGHTY FOOTBALL GODS!!!!

I just to watch Dallas fold like a cheap tent in my own living room on my OWN bottle of Jack Daniels!!!!

Just when you think Chicago got it going right they become limp. Dam eagles. I can't put no faith into Dallas at all

Put it tbis way for Arizona to make the playoffs they ate DEPENDING on a saints lost at the DOME. Saints win they have the tie breaker over arizona. Its for sixth seed now. San Fran basically has playoffs locked at number five or one.

Eagles comes down to Dallas. I can't see Dallas winning though. But I can't eagles beating San Francisco, Carolina or New Orleans. Arizona yeah(sadly)

Green Bay is do or die now against Chicago this upcoming week, whoever wins has the division. Detroit needs a new coach. If they had a defense they could be scary.

Denver. Do they want that first seed curse..?

Edited by CarterforPresident

Flacco was clearly affected...I'm glad the Pats won of course, VERY happy, but this was one of those nights where Flacco being hurt affected everything for the Ravens...Ravens' D did what it could to keep their team in the game.  Game obviously got silly at the end, with the fumble recovery and interception return for TDs against Flacco's backup.  Ravens can play some D (as always). 

I notice Flacco immediately was off.   As usual our D kept us in it.   They can only do so much.

I notice Flacco immediately was off.   As usual our D kept us in it.   They can only do so much.

When Flacco fell down, I knew then it was going to be a tough day for him...but even then, the Ravens were still in decent position to overcome it...that last failed attempted 4th down conversion killed them.  The defense was gassed by then...like you said, they can only do so much.  And on the pick that made it 41-7, the offense clearly was in "fvck it, let's just get off the field" mode..they didn't make much of an attempt to tackle Wilson.   

To Flacco's credit, he refused to use his knee and the brace as an excuse (basically just said he didn't play well), and I know his numbers weren't terribly good this season before he got hurt, but in previous games against the Pats he looked MUCH better than what I saw yesterday.  And I can definitely understand why the Ravens would rather go to a Flacco who looked like he was 50% at best over Tyrod Taylor...yikes. 

For my man CR from Bill Barnwell:

"16. Bill Belichick: Vince Wilfork. Tommy Kelly. Jerod Mayo. Sebastian Vollmer. Rob Gronkowski. Nate Solder. On Sunday, the Patriots added Devin McCourty and Shane Vereen to their list of injured players and still managed to beat the Ravens, 41-7, in Baltimore. It must have been satisfying in some way after losing twice to the Ravens last year, including that loss in the AFC Championship Game, but even more so that the Patriots did this with a shell of their typical roster.

Normally, it's easy to chalk up this sort of New England win to what Tom Brady does on the field as a Hall of Fame–caliber quarterback, but Brady had a quiet day, going 14-of-26 for 172 yards and a touchdown. No, this was a day to congratulate Belichick, who got contributions out of players nobody else wanted. LeGarrette Blount ran for 76 yards and two touchdowns on 16 carries. Julian Edelman — who couldn't even get a million dollarson the open market this offseason — had a seven-catch day. Belichick coaxed meaningful reps from the likes of Sealver Siliga and Chris Jones at defensive tackle. He started Michael Hoomanawanui, Matthew Mulligan, Aaron Dobson, Marcus Cannon, and rookie free agent Josh Kline on offense. And those afterthoughts beat the defending Super Bowl champions by 34 points in their house. Good coaches can take yours and beat his; Belichick might just be able to take nobody's and beat yours."

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10185042/bill-barnwell-week-16-nfl

I understand where you're coming from dr33, but yesterday to me was about Flacco being hobbled/affected more than anything else.  Game was much closer than the score appeared, even with Flacco's effectiveness being compromised.  Don't know if you watched the game, but he was having a difficult time moving around, stepping into throws, etc.   

It's one of those things where if you're not watching the Pats closely every week, you look at the terrific won-lost records every season (and it's been an incredible run, that is indisputable, and it won't last forever) and you say "wow!"  And if you see a fan of the team criticizing BB or the Pats in any way, you think that fan is a loon.  I get that entirely.  But like I've said before, BB is credited with being a defensive mastermind, constantly.  His defenses the past several seasons have had a hell of a time stopping even mediocre QBs.  It can't be ignored, and it's often frustrating to watch.  Come playoff time in recent seasons, even he has admitted that his teams have been getting outplayed and outcoached.  Three home playoff losses. 

If you want to say the playoffs are more of a crapshoot than they used to be, I can't really argue that, because we're seeing 6th seed WC teams winning Super Bowls now.  Moreso than ever, it seems to be the team that gets hot at the right time can win, even if they've been little more than "meh" for over half the season. 

BB has gotten QB play that most of the league would kill for, and an offense that, coming into this season, often scored a whole lot of points.  They're not blameless in the recent uneven playoff runs...they've been getting shut down, but when you're constantly scoring over 500 points, your regular season records are going to be very good.  The offense had covered up for BB's D for years, but it's rarely been the other way around, especially in big games. 

Though I lose it sometimes and am not always reasonable, when I step back, BB has had a good year...I thought this team was winning 10 games going in, and they have a shot at 12 and a first-round bye, even with a slew of key injuries.  They've had some luck too...beating the Browns the way they did was beyond miraculous.  And I think Joe Flacco at 100% probably finds a way to beat the Pats in his building...the game didn't get out of hand until the end, with 14 bonus points against an inept backup QB, and Flacco had guys open he would've hit on other days.  But if the Pats get the #2 seed with everything that has gone wrong (starting with Aaron Hernandez), BB deserves credit...as does Brady, who has shown yet again he can make do with whatever he has to work with.