The Official NJDevs.com MARCH MADNESS Thread

Cracker5

The Mount beats Coppin State to move onto play UNC! Way to go guys! This ones for you Dustin!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney0...&id=3300891

Chris Vann celebrated the win by throwing the ball high into the grey darkness of the University of Dayton Arena rafters.

He meant it as a pass.

On Sunday, March 9, Vann's friend and classmate Dustin Bauer, a popular Mount Saint Mary's track star, was critically injured in a fall in a stairwell at his on-campus residence. The basketball team was in the Pittsburgh area at the time preparing for a Northeast Conference semifinal, and after receiving the news via calls and text messages, the Mountaineers went out and destroyed top seed Robert Morris, 83-65. Bauer was later rushed to a hospital and was placed on life support.

The 22-year-old Bauer died from his injuries the following Wednesday, the same night that the No. 4-seeded Mountaineers clinched the NEC title with a win at No. 3 Sacred Heart.

As Vann's friend still clung to life last Wednesday, the fans who had driven the five hours from Emmitsburg, Md. to Sacred Heart's Connecticut campus brought signs emblazoned with urgings to "Win it for D.B." They chanted his name, then they chanted his initials, while Mount Saint Mary's held off the favored hosts for a 68-55 win. But within a few hours, Bauer was gone.

Just before he threw the ball aloft, Vann pointed a finger to the heavens.

Half an hour later, he paused to eulogize his friend.

"He was so outgoing," Vann recalled, his eyes moistening. "He always spoke his mind. He was such a funny guy. … When you were feeling down, he'd come up to you and cheer you up. We're all going to remember him. We miss him a lot."

Remembrances were everywhere in Dayton. The Mount's band members had "D.B." painted on their faces, and the cheerleaders wore wristbands with the number 13, Bauer's lucky number. Vann wore one of the wristbands during pregame warmups, and he couldn't help making note of some numerological coincidences.

"His favorite number was 13," said Vann, smiling. "And we beat Sacred Heart in the NEC championship game by 13 points. And you know what? I scored 13 for him tonight."

I only knew Dustin from a class I had with him, but he was really an outgoing person who just liked to crack jokes and make people smile. He will be missed.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Davidson is a team to watch for as a 10. Love the guards on this team, and they did not play a cake schedule this year, they lost to UNC by 4, won at Arizona State by double digits, lost to Duke by 6, lost at UCLA but played them very tough.....they are my sleeper.

Davidson is a team to watch for as a 10. Love the guards on this team, and they did not play a cake schedule this year, they lost to UNC by 4, won at Arizona State by double digits, lost to Duke by 6, lost at UCLA but played them very tough.....they are my sleeper.

16 MS Valley St. 29 Final

1 UCLA 70

16 Portland State 61 Final

1 Kansas 85

14 Cal St. Fullerton 56 Final

3 Wisconsin 71

15 Belmont 70 Final

2 Duke 71

14 Cornell 53 Final

3 Stanford 77

14 Georgia 61 Final

3 Xavier 73

12 George Mason 50 Final

5 Notre Dame 68

11 Baylor 79 Final

6 Purdue 90

13 Oral Roberts 63 Final

4 Pittsburgh 82

12 Temple 61 Final

5 Michigan State 72

13 Winthrop 40 Final

4 Washington St. 71

11 Kentucky 66 Final

6 Marquette 74

9 Kent State 58 Final

8 UNLV 71

11 Kansas State 80 Final

6 USC 67

9 Texas A&M 67 Final

8 Brigham Young 62

10 Arizona 65 Final

7 West Virginia 75

-------------------

You are, my friend, the definition of a stereotypical kid. Tell me your sincere and honest reason for hating Duke and laughing at videos made in spite of them? People say that they are heartless, yet on the game against UNC, their most heated rival, every single student wore a carolina-blue ribbon in memory of the UNC student that died. I couldn't believe, and can't believe, the hatred in everyone's eyes because of nothing apparent.

And you are a Yankees fan (as am I). Why would you do the same thing that every single non-Yankee fan does... complain and hate them because of one reason, they're consistantly good.

Siena up by 11 :unsure:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh boyyyyyyyyyeeeeeee!!!!!!!!11 :dance:

(Please excuse my insanity... normally you couldn't pay me to watch college or pro basketball, but I always like to see my two local teams -- Siena and UAlbany -- do well if they make it to the tournament.)

I might be the only person in the world that picked both Siena and W. Kentucky to upset on Friday. I think their success will continue, as I have both advancing to the Sweet 16.

I have two other surprises for Round 2 as well. I have Davidson over G'Town, as said above in an earlier post, and West Virginia over Duke. For those that don't believe, just check out the bracket on Yahoo! that someone on here started.

BLEH! The fake birds (KU) win the title. It's a billion times worse for me because I currently attend Kansas State University and KU is our biggest rival. We were one of only 3 teams that beat KU during the regular season, but we couldn't get far enough to see them in the tournament. Bye, Michael Beasley! Have fun in the NBA!