GDT: Devils @ DC--7:00pm

Ollie McKraut

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is starting to look like a playoff team. Incredible come from behind win against a good team.

We've been beating a lot of good teams this year.  The problem is, we've been losing to bad teams as well.

Not seeing anything yet to make me think this team will pull away from NHL .500.  Not unless the goalie play improves.  It won't if Marty keeps getting this many starts...he's just too inconsistent. 

Not seeing anything yet to make me think this team will pull away from NHL .500.  Not unless the goalie play improves.  It won't if Marty keeps getting this many starts...he's just too inconsistent. 

one way to fix it: start the good goalie but if that's not gonna happen, they're willfully putting themselves on the bubble. It's a joke when you see 4 goals on 19 shots when you have ONE OF THE BEST GOALIES IN THE LEAGUE BY ANY METRIC sitting behind arguably the worst goalie in the league

Jagr 33 Pts in 37 games. Van Damn!

What he has done as a Devil is amazing.  Devils would be screwed without his contributions. 

Would anyone care to post a brief synopsis of what happened after we went up 1-0? I actually saw the first goal while I was in the NHL store, but it was all scoreboard watching for me after that lol.

We pretty much dominated them the whole game possession wise and shots wise.  The Caps just took advantage of their opportunities.  On top of that, Marty wasn't good at all.

one way to fix it: start the good goalie but if that's not gonna happen, they're willfully putting themselves on the bubble. It's a joke when you see 4 goals on 19 shots when you have ONE OF THE BEST GOALIES IN THE LEAGUE BY ANY METRIC sitting behind arguably the worst goalie in the league

We're not exactly a scoring machine with Cory in net which imo almost nullifies any Cory over Marty, Marty over Cory talk.

He's at .902 in save% for the season.  He finished at .901 last season.  He was at .903 and .908 the two seasons before that, but he had prolonged stretches of strong play in both of those seasons...it's been a different story last year and this. 

That being said, as much as I support Cory getting more playing time, at some point he's got to stop giving DeBoer excuses to keep going back to Marty.  Schneider hasn't been lights-out either as of late.  

We're not exactly a scoring machine with Cory in net which imo almost nullifies any Cory over Marty, Marty over Cory talk.

How will we gain any consistency in net if neither goalie gets any consistent playing time?  Cory has to be the guy.  I can't think of any game where Cory cost us a win except for the game against Vancouver.  Marty has cost us a few already.

Great win.  Team played excellent except for a few breakdowns, and while I don't think Brodeur was strong by any means, he wasn't horrible.  Boucher had an excellent game,  2nd and 4th lines were the ones that struggled - I like some of what Tedenby did in transition (set up one great chance), but it looks like he is just guessing out there offensively and defensively.

Interesting that Merrill had 23 minutes and Gelinas 16, even with NJ trailing for long stretches of the game.  Merrill just does not make many mistakes back there and he comes up with an elegant play to break the puck out of the zone or to deny a scoring chance to an opposing forward.  He is going to be really good, I think - think Paul Martin.

Schneider at some point has to start playing like one of the top goalies in the league.  If he does, the crease will be mostly his.  He's given up 3 goals in each of the last 4 starts.