GDT: You can't blow us away (Devils @ Hurricanes) 3/9/13 7:00 EST

Devil Fan

He wasn't a top 5 draft pick for offense.    He was a top 5 draft pick because he's an all-around defenseman.    His best scoring year was this year in the AHL, and it was pretty good, not spectacular.

And who cares what Hamilton is doing.   He has 12 points and he's a minus on Boston, which means they don't let him play with/against anyone worth a damn 5 on 5.    Drafting defenseman isn't a race to see who's the more productive player 1 1/4 seasons after you draft them.    I mean, I'll give Devils fans a pass because they haven't drafted high in their lifetimes other than that one time, but c'mon.

I really have to disagree on you on his scouting report though, Larsson was drafted to be a really good puck mover and to put up some points for us. He wasn't being compared to all those greats I mentioned before for nothing. Granted it's not like his solid defensive play has come as a surprise, but in my eyes, as he was drafted to be more an offensive threat than a stay at home defender, I'd like for him to show it some more.

And what's up with PDB this year. We get off to a blazing start, hold first in the eastern conference for a little while and he "still would like to see more". Now we're mired in a terrible slump, putting up numbers like 6 losses in 7 games and it's like he's afraid to hurt anyone's feelings.

I really have to disagree on you on his scouting report though, Larsson was drafted to be a really good puck mover and to put up some points for us. He wasn't being compared to all those greats I mentioned before for nothing. Granted it's not like his solid defensive play has come as a surprise, but in my eyes, as he was drafted to be more an offensive threat than a stay at home defender, I'd like for him to show it some more.

Whatever scouts were saying that were on something, that's why I can't buy anyone made a Niedermayer comparison.   Niedermayer was an incredible skater until his last year and a half or so in the league.   Larsson struggles to skate backwards and still has alot to learn.  He could be a good offensive defenseman, but he's not going to be a great one, and he's sure not going to be either on this team, if he's not playing on the PP, since no one does anything 5 on 5.

Holy hell... Larsson is not a concern. You should be pleased he's not posting up garbage points as he develops what really matters, his defense... It will keep that second contract grounded. Every team in the league would want him on their roster.

Slumps suck. It's like most things in life, confidence. How did this team get off to such a great start? How did Clarkson get every lucky bounce and looked shocked every time it went in? How did we keep the pressure in their zone, and cycle so well? We believed. We weren't deflated... If we got knocked down we said fvck you, got up, and came back with a heavy hand.

Hedberg is not now, nor ever a starting goalie. He's a locker room guy and spot starter. A perfect backup. You don't want a Clemmer who is a 1B that wants the reigns. You want a Moose who knows his role. But if you have some extended injury with Brodeur... You can't ride him. Hedberg doesn't have the swagger to own the game. He's vulnerable and shell shocked... And we keep putting him out there. Our guys feel the same things we feel. We can't string along wins with Hedberg.... We need to do what every other team does in cases like this... Call up your goalies... And split with your backup and play the hot hand.

The hot hand is not Hedberg... He's ice cold and we keep wheeling the corpse out there to get the same results.

Our team composition is fine, we just need swagger... It won't come from Hedberg,

Edited by aylbert

Adam Larsson is 20, Adam Larsson is 20, Adam Larsson is 20.

Some of you overreact to mistakes he's going to make, without seeing before he was benched the other night - he'd been playing pretty well. My only concern is they benched a 20 year old kid who was playing well. He even said he was disappointed because he thought he'd been playing well.....Good thing we don't want to send mixed messages to a 20 year old, and then wonder why he maybe was playing on eggshells last night. Play bad, you sit. Play well, you sit too. Oh yeah, don't mind either that some of the veterans sh!t the bed on every shift. It's ok, they'll play and you'll sit.

The kid needs to play, get into a rythym and left alone in the lineup.

We have old farts in the lineup who play back to back games like Anton, Sal and Moose. The kid can handle it.

We need to get Travis complimentary players that are suited to his kind of game. Someone like Parise, hard to find of course, but with that kind of energy. When healthy, was...Brandon Dubinsky...a forechecking guy? I can't remember, been a while since I've seen him play. But one more year, and more than I'd be comfortable with money wise, but could be looking for a fresh start against his old team.

or I'm bored at my 2nd job after 4 hours of sleep.

We need to get Travis complimentary players that are suited to his kind of game. Someone like Parise, hard to find of course, but with that kind of energy. When healthy, was...Brandon Dubinsky...a forechecking guy? I can't remember, been a while since I've seen him play. But one more year, and more than I'd be comfortable with money wise, but could be looking for a fresh start against his old team.

or I'm bored at my 2nd job after 4 hours of sleep.

I think the Poni Kovy line complements Zajacs game perfectly. But the matter is pretty much the entire roster is playing like sh!t right now (exceptions go to Henrique...maybe Carter) so other than the goal tending getting it's head on straight, the team has to pick it up collectively.

The forwards and offense are fine, I would like to think. Moose has been giving up back breaking goal after back breaking goal throughout this skid. Those last two were terrible and it's safe to say they cost the team a point. 

The team just has no sense of urgency in front of him the way they used to when he was a backup. They made it easy on him. Tough to do that when he's playing every game though. Start Frazee just for the sake that the team comes out with the "We have our backup playing today" mentality, that made Moose look so good for so long. 

Lou needs to come up with some answers quick! But I'm afraid he will do nothing or get another 4 th line 3 rd line player. I'm losing faith in Lou, come on Lou prove me wrong!

He just robbed the Kings and got Poni back for nothing.

Your best players need to be your best players and that hasn't been the case for the Devils. It will come just give it time.

The forwards and offense are fine, I would like to think. Moose has been giving up back breaking goal after back breaking goal throughout this skid. Those last two were terrible and it's safe to say they cost the team a point. 

The team just has no sense of urgency in front of him the way they used to when he was a backup. They made it easy on him. Tough to do that when he's playing every game though. Start Frazee just for the sake that the team comes out with the "We have our backup playing today" mentality, that made Moose look so good for so long. 

I really don't believe this exists.  People used to talk about it the other way - that the Devils always played poorly in front of their backup back when Brodeur was starting 73 games a season.  

While I don't think goals 4 and 5 will go on Hedberg's highlight reel, the Devils already spotted Carolina 3 goals on which Hedberg had no chance - don't think you can bury him for that.

He just robbed the Kings and got Poni back for nothing.

Your best players need to be your best players and that hasn't been the case for the Devils. It will come just give it time.

Robbed?  I'd take it easy on that just yet.  Early returns show promise and I was a big proponent of the move when it was known Loktionov wanted out, but it's still very early on Loktionov.

Ponikarovsky we got for nothing because he wasn't doing much in Winnipeg and he hasn't done much here after that 1st goal here, just a few assists in a three game stretch.  He's been a bit of a let-down so far in his return despite being put on the top lines , but to be fair to him, he hasn't been awful in terms of his play, although there's been a few games where he's gotten very sloppy with his passing. 

Also watched the re-play, alot players out of position, specially down low in front of moose.

Just rewatced the goals against last night...Hedberg is just good for nothing.

Edited by Uncle Albert

Just rewatced the goals against last night...Hedberg is just good for nothing.

good to know.  I didn't see it and it's very emotional here these days.

It was the above I actually liked knowing -- that lots of guys were just out of position.  They do puck chase to the corners way too much.  But they did that last year... a strategy I do NOT understand.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Seems most have someone to blame for this mediocre play.  I blame the person who started the Rangers are getting smashed, or something to that effect, thread.  It was a major jinx. That's my reason and I am sticking to it.  I don't remember the thread title  exactly or who started it and I am not going to look for it.  :razz: