Devs offer Niedermayer 6.8/m

Rock

(I didn't see it posted anywhere my apologies if I missed it, this as of 9:44 this morning on TSN. With the recent news that knocks out Van. & Cal. I didn't put the rest of the article up as it is the same old same old.)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132280

New Jersey is believed to be offering a deal worth $6.8-million a season. Vancouver, Detroit, Calgary and Pittsburgh are also said to be in the mix.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Capologists:

If we signed Nieder for 6.8, how much is left to sign Stevens or Raffi?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If my calulations are correct, if we sign him for that price our payroll will be at $34,312,000.00 leaving just under 5 million to sign Stevens and Rafalski. Lets hope for the best.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is, if everyone accept their qualifying offers (don't think martin and gionta will)

well the way I see it - defense needs some leadership and some offensive talent/speed. It's either Nieds or Rafalski/Stevens -- you get one or the other two -- neither the tween shall meet. I think our team will be fine however this resolves itself. Nieds is just better for the future of the team -because Stevens isnt' reliable and Raffy doesn't have the leadership AND is injury prone as well. Nieds is the best option -- but no big deal - we'll just be in the market for some d next year - unless Stevens craps out again :rolleyes:

IF THE DEVILS SIGN NIEDS THERE IS NO RAFALSKI OR STEVENS.

That's it - period - end of story.

Edited by Darwindog

well if we compare the earlier contracts one can see a small difference (understatement)

Brodeur hasn't even let a contract expire (i think)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Marty only let his first contract expire. Then his agent at the time, Gilles Lupien, and the NHLPA convinced him to hold out during training camp, even though, as Marty learned, there was no chance in hell Lou was going to change his mind about what he was offering and Lupien and the NHLPA should have known better than to give Marty that advice. They knew Lou from past experience, he didn't. They knew it wouldn't make a damned bit of difference that NJ had just won the Cup and that Marty had been the Calder winner the season before. Lou wasn't going to budge. Looking back on it, Marty says it was the worst hockey mistake he ever made because he wasn't quite ready for the season and never seemed to find his game - which certainly contributed to NJ missing the playoffs. Lupien was fired, and Marty has handled his own negotiations from that point on. Lupien, btw, threatened to never allow one of his clients to sign with NJ again, with Goodenow's blessing.

If my calulations are correct, if we sign him for that price our payroll will be at $34,312,000.00 leaving just under 5 million to sign Stevens and Rafalski. Lets hope for the best.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is, if everyone accept their qualifying offers (don't think martin and gionta will)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

tru dat. Is there any date that people have to accept/deny qualifying offers by?

No. This sucks. $6.8M is WAY TOO MUCH MONEY TO SPEND ON ONE PLAYER. I'd rather have 3 guys making $2.2M. This is a team sport and throwing 17% of your whole salary monies down on ONE player is wrong. I want to roll four lines equally. I want 3 strong D partners. In hockey, you are only as good as your weakest link - the strongest link may help out their place in the chain, but the chain as a whole will break. Give me Rafalski, Stevens and, oh I dunno, Brad Bombadir. I don't care. I just give me 6 good D and let someone else overpay on great D.