What's your favorite hockey movie?

roomtemp

Eh, I'm pretty sure Sean Avery is in that movie, so that kind of kills it for me.

I believe Avery,Vinny Lecavalier and Ian Laperriere were in that movie. I saw it last year, but I'm not sure about Laperriere. I hate Avery too, but he gets his ass kicked by Richard if I recall, so it's not that bad ;)

I agree. I think ya missed what the movie was going for.

Slapshot is the only choice here. Nothing else comes remotely close. Goon has Sean William Scott and ipso facto cannot be a quality film. Miracle is ok, but all they had to do was not screw that movie up, the story is too easy. Mighty Ducks is great for nostalgia for us 90s kids, but I'm not about to say they're great films.

Slapshot has it all. It's a slice of life of a minor league hockey team. Add in Paul Newman and it's a classic. I never saw the film as perverting "old tyme hockey" as gooning it up. The end of the film is what that's about. Ned skates naked because the game has become a sideshow circus and his naked parade isn't out of place at that point. At least that's how I saw it.

1) prejudice like with goon is how we got seperate water fountains in the South. Just give it a chance

2) I never ment the movie said that just idiots take that from it in retrospect. Same dumbasses who probably think the Flyers in the 70s was the good old days of hockey

Avery play for the ranger in this movie and get knock out by the rocket... who dont love to see avery getting beat out???

Because I knew he got paid money to do it and likely enjoyed the sh!t out of his 5 mins on camera and the thought of him happy just pisses me off.

The movie otherwise actually wasn't bad, but I don't know, seeing his face just soured me on it, lol.

Edited by ATLL765

I think you're right!  I mixed it up with a movie with Michael Moriarity.  Is that where the female folk singer dies in a car accident because the hockey player drove her crazy?  Lol.

I think so.  It has been a very long time since I saw it.  I think in Canada the movie was called Face Off or something hockey related.  Re you confusing Michael Moriarity with John Vernon?

Happy gilmore for me. I know its a golf movie mainly but he incorporates hockey into the whole movie.

Idk what everyone found good about goon I thought it was god awful. Theres a big rivalry between the major league team and the minor league team...and Stifler has superhuman hands or head, I forget what it was.

Edited by Bartholomew Hunt

Some other movies to check out:

"The Rocket"
"Les Chiefs"
"Les Boys"
"The Rhino Brothers"
"Breakaway"
"Net Worth"
"Bon Cop, Bad Cop"
"Keep Your Head Up, Kid: The Don Cherry Story"
"The Wrath of Grapes: The Don Cherry Story II"
"Mr Hockey: The Gordie Howe Story"

1) prejudice like with goon is how we got seperate water fountains in the South. Just give it a chance

2) I never ment the movie said that just idiots take that from it in retrospect. Same dumbasses who probably think the Flyers in the 70s was the good old days of hockey

As a MAJOR hockey fan in the 70s, when Slap Shot came out... well -- when it was first on HBO and my parents argued about whether I could see it or not -- to me it was in response to the Flyers.  My opinion at the time was that Flyers were ruining hockey.  As a kid I felt like they were cheaters.  True, I adored the Hansen Brothers - but again we're a three sister family and we all dubbed ourselves members of trios a la the Marx Brothers (guess who I was -- unless my sisters were haters and dubbed me Gummo).  We had the New Haven Nighthawks too, so the minor league thing was interesting. The lack of family life was interesting to me - I was thinking I was going to not even go to high school - just go right into ballet so... it was interesting and for me as a kid it was strangely informative. So I am seriously colored by a lot of weird outside things with that movie.  I think that maybe it easy to gloss over the depth and also to be kind insulted by the lack of respect for the game of hockey.  It did focus on the bad - I felt it was assuming the audience just knew what real hockey was, as I did and everyone in my hometown.  It's only when you look at really negative reviews of the movie that you see how people warp the message totally.  again in my opinion.  How someone takes a movie is how they take it.  No one is wrong.

Goon lacks the absolute buy-in from all involved.  To me, it comes off kitchy, formulaic ( I watched at it - I didn't truly watch it I will confess).  I liked The Tooth Fairy - Goon is the same ilk as that - contrived but somewhat charming.

(SIDEBAR:  Wow all these memories!  I always thought a hockey player had to be ugly.  I never saw Youngblood because the mere presence of Rob Loew was offensive to me.  I have to see that one.  Clark Gillies was a hockey player. Mike Bossey was a hockey player.  I just remember thinking "what's so scary about Scott Stevens?  Oh no blonde handsome BMOC is coming for me!"  and the man cannot fight - only get hysterical.  Seriously - I thought of him as Greg Marmalarde  :rofl:  I am SOOOOO grateful to my friend Len who shared cheap seats with everyone and got me hooked on Devils hockey.  :wub:  I want a new hockey player to come along and consistently do my on ice bidding again. At least the Devils have a vision akin to mine. It's just when guys wuss out I have to stop watching for a while or I get too crazy - I sort of hate that powerless you suck feeling I get from Bryce Salvador  :giggle: I kid  I kid :evil:   hellifido <_<   :evil: )

Edited by Pepperkorn

I think so.  It has been a very long time since I saw it.  I think in Canada the movie was called Face Off or something hockey related.  Re you confusing Michael Moriarity with John Vernon?

Pretty sure it was Moriarity. He kills his best friend spearing him and gets kicked out of hockey.  At one point, they give him an award where he wears a ball and chain on the ice during the ceremony.  Kind of vague, but I think that's it.