GDT Devils vs the Canes 11/8/11

estreetcrew3

Yeah, I butchered this one pretty badly...you nailed the first two lines, but the third was supposed to be: HAM IS SALTY!

That's what I get for trying to throw it together in about 30 seconds.

Regardless, I found this exchange between Chico and Cangialosi last night a bit puzzling...

CHICO: "...and then I told her I misunderstood, because I typically don't go around licking people without their permission, and she sa-..."

CANGIALOSI: "Hey, wait...we're not even working this game. Versus is covering it!"

CHICO: "Yeah, but I wanna make sure NJCroMag has something to post tomorrow."

haha love these. its sad when cango is the voice of reason

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some points on the game

this was a big game for the canes, they got reamed out fans, coaches and the media and wanted to show something here! their effort was strong!

We answered that effort with outstanding forechecking and board work, did dino lose one buck battle? he was a beast, allen and gleason were burried by him. don't know why most think it was ugly. the cycling was frantic

our Defensemen are being WAY more involved and daring on maintaining the puck in the zone. Hell, volchenkov was BEHIND THEIR GOAL AGAIN! when have we seen that before?

Marty played solid goalie, his speed is still there with the glove he just needs to work on his flexibility as he gains playing time

All lines were flying around what we lack in talent we make up for in effort

can napalm not shoot every puck into the goalies chest!

imo, exciting and enjoyable game

We had wheels last night. Fasted paced game I've seen the Devils play lately. Seems the Devils don't usually dominate in the speed area of their game. Idk, it always looks different watching a game the Devils aren't even playing in, and watching how fast the players skate. to me it always seems the Devils like to play a slightly more down-tempo game when they have the control. They were flying around a lot last night. We do need established speed to be one of our strengths and beat the other team to the punch on puck battles.

Well now... I've been thinking about that. To me if things look fast that generally means things are sloppy. A clean game will look slow because you can follow it.

My final conclusion -- our Vs camera guy sucked monkey nuts :evil: -- it was the camera's inability to maintain focus that added a level to the sloppiness of that game. Maybe they expected a slower game so they used a poor camera guy? So I'm not saying they DIDN'T have wheels - but there were a lot of contributing factors. Not being able to really follow a game is a BAD thing -- it doesn't mean anyone is all skilled and stuff.. :evil: that's just my opinion though... maybe. because I'm really right... and even Scott Stevens thinks so -- btu he didn't know it until he just read that and he's saying "hmmm... yeah -- she might have something there." He's always doing that when he reads what I write ... :rolleyes:

Edited by Pepperkorn

Well now... I've been thinking about that. To me if things look fast that generally means things are sloppy. A clean game will look slow because you can follow it.

pepper, are you not a john wooden disciple? you need to play with that frantic calmness. frantic, fast, explosive in the body yet calm ,controlled and thinking in the mind. its athletic nirvana. its a very narrow range and you will cycle over and under it but its the goal

btw agree with the camera, I lost the puck more on TV last night than all other HD MSG games combined, and IT WAS A VERY DARK VIDEO FEED for some reason. the rock has excellent lighting imo the best in the league why was the VS cameras dark & filtered like

just imagine if we had Kovy :cheers:

Its funny you bring this up, but DeBoer has put it in perspective. I think this team will play even better when Kovy gets back as they now know how much more they can win playing the style he wants them to play.

From TG's blog:

That they won the last two without Ilya Kovalchuk, who hopes to return Friday from a pulled leg muscle pull, makes it even more impressive.

“I really believed that,” DeBoer said of his feeling last week. “Obviously, I didn’t foresee Kovalchuk going down, but I think the guys have responded. When you have players like that out of the lineup the attention to detail gets better out of necessity and I think that’s what’s happening.”

Its funny you bring this up, but DeBoer has put it in perspective. I think this team will play even better when Kovy gets back as they now know how much more they can win playing the style he wants them to play.

From TG's blog:

Good luck with that. They will defer and change their style to adjust to him.

Good luck with that. They will defer and change their style to adjust to him.

Could very well be, but I am hoping that doesn't happen. Parise-Henrique-Kovy line looked like they were on the verge of breaking out the last game together. The rest along with watching how the Devils played without him could very well encourage Kovy to play better. God knows.

Because beating two non playoff teams proves we're better without Kovy, so I guess we should trade Zach cause we went 22-2-3 without him in the second half...

And, let's be honest, while the effort last night was impressive it's still a one-goal win over Carolina, and we needed OT to beat the 'Peg. I'll happily take 'em, but they're not exactly statement wins.

This weekend's home-and-home is going to say a lot about this team. Hopefully last night's effort continues ...

And, let's be honest, while the effort last night was impressive it's still a one-goal win over Carolina, and we needed OT to beat the 'Peg. I'll happily take 'em, but they're not exactly statement wins.

This weekend's home-and-home is going to say a lot about this team. Hopefully last night's effort continues ...

Agreed. However, I do see a positive in the come backs in Philly. Coming back from down 2-0 and 3-2 was nice to see and I think a good sign. It seems too many times the last couple of years that games were over once it hit 2-0.

This weekend will be very interesting, especially with the Kovalchuk dynamic.

These last three games have been fun. It's nice to see the team start to gel and the young guys start to find their way in this league, but there are still going to be plenty of growing pains. I am not going to get too bothered if they lose these next three games.

pepper, are you not a john wooden disciple? you need to play with that frantic calmness. frantic, fast, explosive in the body yet calm ,controlled and thinking in the mind. its athletic nirvana. its a very narrow range and you will cycle over and under it but its the goal

btw agree with the camera, I lost the puck more on TV last night than all other HD MSG games combined, and IT WAS A VERY DARK VIDEO FEED for some reason. the rock has excellent lighting imo the best in the league why was the VS cameras dark & filtered like

I usually welcome Versus' dark feeds because it hides some of the empty seats B )

Edited by 95Crash

One positive we can take is that the Devils survived an early valley. I admit I thought a big slump was coming once after that 3-1-1 smoke-and-mirrors start, but they managed to shorten it. And Henrique has been a nice story...who knows how long it lasts, but guys who burst onto the scene like that give us all something to cheer for and something to hope for.

Starting to wonder if Tedenby should be down at the A...just don't see him improving much getting less than 10 minutes of ice time, like he did last night. No shame in getting seasoning in Albany if he needs it.

Agreed. However, I do see a positive in the come backs in Philly. Coming back from down 2-0 and 3-2 was nice to see and I think a good sign. It seems too many times the last couple of years that games were over once it hit 2-0.

This weekend will be very interesting, especially with the Kovalchuk dynamic.

Good point. The comeback win over Philly was nice, but I would've preferred it came in regulation. A nice string of regulation wins would be great to see right now. Though I'd also like to see them go undefeated, I'd like a million dollars, and I'd like to motorboat Jennifer Connelly (circa Career Opportunities, please). Maybe I'm asking too much?

Starting to wonder if Tedenby should be down at the A...just don't see him improving much getting less than 10 minutes of ice time, like he did last night. No shame in getting seasoning in Albany if he needs it.

Tedenby might be better served with 10 NHL minutes since his mental game is what really needs the work. He'll be able to make any number of mental mistakes and get away with it in the AHL because of his physical skills. He really needs to learn what works at the NHL level, I think.

For example, Tedenby seems to have learned he needs to initiate the contact with players, even though he's smaller, to ensure he is getting proper leverage against the bigger player. At the AHL level I'm not sure he would have the need to do something like that.

In the end, I'm going to guess he'll develop about the same getting lots of AHL minutes or a few NHL minutes.

Good point. The comeback win over Philly was nice, but I would've preferred it came in regulation. A nice string of regulation wins would be great to see right now. Though I'd also like to see them go undefeated, I'd like a million dollars, and I'd like to motorboat Jennifer Connelly (circa Career Opportunities, please). Maybe I'm asking too much?

It'd be great if they swept the Caps. That would definitely up the confidence. Either way, I'd be ok with the million bucks and the Jennifer Connelly thing...

This whole six-game stretch will say a lot - home Friday, then on the road for the Caps, Bruins, Sabres, Lightning and Panthers. At least they did pretty much what they've had to do on this homestand - win winnable games. Now they gotta sneak a couple out of a stretch where they'll be favored to win maybe one of the six games.