Reasons Kovy can give us a home team discount over LA:
1. Despite our recent playoff failures we are still not many pieces away from a true cup contender. Yes, LA have some good youngsters but they havent proven anything. They had a decent season last year but almost choked away their playoff spot in the second half of the season. The Devils are guaranteed a playoff spot every single season practically.
2. NJ is closer to Mother Russia capital city than LA, which is better for his mother or family to come over.
3. The NY metro area has more Russians than does LA - by far.
4. Kovy is a family man. He can spend much more time with his two small children playing in our division. Away games in our division dont mean staying in that city over night. He can be home with the fam after each game. Cant do that in LA.
5. Kovy is also a competitor. You can see his enthusiasm when we played the Rags. You can tell he would love games at MSG, Philly. Hes also got games agst Crosby, Ovechkin...games at Mtl, Toronto, and Atlanta (where he still has a home and many friends). LA cannot offer that. The Atlantic Division is the most exciting division to be in.
6. He knows our organization already and has played with Volchenkov and Hedberg. He raved about Lemaire and his wealth of knowledge. Well, Larry Robinson (altho a defensive coach) can offer mental advice to Kovy. Hes also got an offensive minded coach in Johnny Mac.
You can argue LA has a brighter future but id disagree. Afterall, we have the young Parise, who is in the upper class of NHL talent. LA cant say they have a player in his class. Lou just had to tell Kovy he will lock Zach up asap and shed dead weight salary later. So, i just dont see what LA offers except more money lol...but i dont think Kovy is that type of guy.
LA can't say they have a player in his class???? Do you follow the Kings??? Drew Doughty Norris Candidate? Dustin Brown? Anze Kopitar??
The biggest thing LA offers that we can't: He wants to play in LA.
Edited by MantaRay, 02 July 2010 - 10:13 AM.