Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Mets just aren't a good baseball team. Fangraphs ran an expected run differential model yesterday that showed the Mets having the biggest gap in their actual run differential to their expected one. Their expected one was (too lazy to look it up again) 2nd or 3rd worst in MLB. 

We should just be happy this team is 15-13 because at this pace things will fall apart very quickly. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone was really fooled by 15-11 (except maybe for Sandy, who IS a fool).  We know it's a 75-ish-win team, give or take.  It'd just be fun to see them hang around .500 for a while.  It's also frustrating that the Mets can't even score runs in the one place where it seems like everyone does.  Even if they lose every game, at least maybe some guys blow up their offensive numbers a bit. 

'7', yeah, hard not to worry somewhat about Granderson...20 HR or so to go with a .200ish BA and 150+ K...that contract is going to be so bad.  Yikes. 

LMFAO well there is the Farnsworth implosion! But who needs Hanrahan!

Yep, was just coming on here to post the same thing.

fvck you Sandy.  Useless piece of sh!t.

And just like that, three Met starters' ERAs soar to over 5.00.  Friggin' Coors Field.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Man, if Lagares could somehow learn to become a .285-.290/.330-.335 guy...of course, that will require him to learn how to draw more walks...the same thing that Murph never learned to do.  And he strikes out a ton (seems like you can't be a Met unless you do)...sadly, everything points to him slowing down.  Once he stops hitting .333, we'll be reminded that's about the only way he gets on base (hitting his way on). 

Tampa's Grant Balfour had trouble with control at times earlier in his career, but did much better with it the past four seasons.  It's suddenly a problem again...11 BB in 13.1 IP this season.  God, imagine if he'd been doing that as a Met?  In fairness to him, the walks haven't killed him yet...only one blown save in six attempts, and he's only allowed runs in 2 out of 12 appearances.

Nice to see so many guys suddenly hitting...just wish it wasn't Colorado-aided.

deGrom now 4-0 with a 1.89 ERA in 6 starts with Vegas.  Last start was pretty good (5.1 IP, 1 ER, 5 K).  Syndergaard's last start was good too....7 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 7 K.  He's now 4-2 with a 3.94 ERA.  Not bad for a 21-year-old pitching in the PCL for the first time.

Gee going out for the 7th despite being over 100 pitches.

Don't care if he somehow goes through it smoothly, this just bad process.

I was grudgingly willing to give him until he gave up a hit in the 7th, but Terry never learns.  Idiot, moron, amateur Terry.

huh? Torres just induced a slow roller to second and K'd a guy...you want to pull him now for Rice? Might as well keep rolling with Torres. There are 2 outs. I have confidence in him...and Blackmon has been slaughtering leftie and righties this year (.400 vs lefties even though it's a relatively small sample)

Edited by '7'

TC got VERY lucky today.  Would've been a shame to see 2 ER go on Gee's record that shouldn't have. 

Braves have lost six straight...Mets will be a game out if they hang on.  Crazy.

Braves were due for a correction as well. They're not that good. I mean clearly better than the Mets but they're a team that should win less than 90 games.

The Braves had 11 runs scored in their past 7 games! Like us, they have a very high K offense so when they slump it looks very ugly.

Edited by '7'

Gee since last May 30 of last season:

28 starts

190 IP, 167 H, 58 ER, 21 HR, 43 BB, 132 K, 2.75 ERA, 12-6 record (team went 16-12 in his starts)

He's been pretty consistent in that time frame...he's only given up more than 3 ER in 9 of those starts, and only 5 ER twice.

Not to mention the sample sizes you're presenting aren't exactly equal:  2012 consists of 17 starts, 2013 consists of 33 starts, and 2014 isn't even into May yet (6 starts).  And as we know, in 2013 he was different pitcher prior to May 30 then he was from May 30 on.  I think you've got to give it at least until mid-season to start trying to make any declarations based on the numbers you've presented.  Last season, his velocity was down early, and I'll be the first to admit I was deeply concerned about him when he was 2-6 with a 6.34 ERA, and was looking every bit as bad as those numbers would suggest.  I'm not saying he's now going to rattle off several good seasons in a row (really hard to do that with ANY pitchers these days it seems), but that 28-start period I've referenced is pretty impressive, even if there's ways to pick it apart and make it look worse than it's really been.       

Add 6 more good innings in a tough ballpark to the above.  It's quickly coming up on a season's worth of starts for him. 

Anyway, lots of kudos to Gee today...Mets needed a good start in the worst way and got one. 

As bad as those first three games were, Mets can still come home with a .500+ trip.  So glad to be done with Coors Field.  I'm sure Zack, Bartolo, and Jenrry are too.

Braves were due for a correction as well. They're not that good. I mean clearly better than the Mets but they're a team that should win less than 90 games.

The Braves had 11 runs scored in their past 7 games! Like us, they have a very high K offense so when they slump it looks very ugly.

The Braves' offense has actually been far worse than the Mets which is saying something considering all the offensive talent they actually have.

Their pitching has also been better amazingly enough considering their injuries but the numbers probably got skewed a bit the last four games.

The Braves' offense has actually been far worse than the Mets which is saying something considering all the offensive talent they actually have.

Their pitching has also been better amazingly enough considering their injuries but the numbers probably got skewed a bit the last four games.

Obviously, the series against Colorado has inflated the offensive numbers a bit for the Mets (thought it's not like they scored a ton of runs in the series...22 in the four games), but what's amazing is that the Mets are somehow 5th in the NL in runs per game, despite just about all of their other numbers being pretty bad (especially slugging).

But check out how bad some other NL offenses are...if we think the Mets are having a tough time scoring runs (and again, they really are the anomaly team, in that there's no rhyme or reason as to how they've been decent at plating runs...more on that below), I can't imagine what it must be like watching some of these other teams:

Mets:  4.27 RPG (and they're just a tick behind the team that's third...Washington is at 4.29 RPG)

St. Louis:  3.59 RPG

Atlanta:  3.30 RPG

San Diego:  2.63 RPG (?!)

And 9 NL teams aren't even averaging 4.00 RPG.  Really shows how hard runs and offense are to come by these days.  San Diego's numbers are just SO bad. 

And BTW the Mets have actually been quite productive on the road (5.36 RPG), but beyond awful at home (the 3.31 RPG they manage in their building is miraculous when you look at their other numbers:  .192 team batting, .277 OB%, .301 SLG%, .578 OB+SLG). 

Where the Mets have been good is with RISP...3rd in avg (.261)...they're doing a pretty good job of at least making the runners they do get on base count.  (They're only hitting .211 with the bases empty.)  By comparison, Atlanta is batting .210 with RISP and .242 with the bases empty. 

Of course, unless you believe that the Mets are suddenly a clutch team that finds ways to come up big with RISP, it's pretty safe to say that, unless guys REALLY start getting hot (especially at home), it's really hard to think that the RPG is going to stay where it is. 

And on the other end...pretty soon we're going to have to adjust how we look at pitching stats. 

It's still early, and I know ERA by itself isn't the best way to judge pitchers (as it doesn't take into account team defensive ability or ballparks), but Dillion Gee's nice 2.51 mark is currently 17th in the NL.  Niese's 2.20 is 11th (sadly, the Colorado Massacre has bumped Wheeler, Mejia, and Colon to 54th, 56th, and 59th, respectively.  Ouch.) 

And it sadly appears that Tim Lincecum's days as a top starting pitcher are definitely over.  He still gets his Ks, but his ERA since the beginning of the 2012 season is 4.79.  His career looks like it's going on a track similar to Barry Zito's...terrific years early on, followed by a lot of poor/so-sos (but a fairly long career, due to durability). 

More great managing by Amateur Terry.  Enjoy this gig while it lasts, you ain't gettin' another one.

Gotta give Farnsworth credit for getting out of that one, even if he's destined for mediocrity at best.

I just can't wait until this team has a real manager. 

Nice going Travis.

Awesome job Terry!

Will someone explain to this genius that he doesn't always have to keep a pitcher in until it completely blows up?  Leaving Dice K in to face a lefty?  fvcking REALLY?!