2012 NCAA Hockey Championships: Tampa

MDPucks

This Friday marks the beginning of the 2012 NCAA College Hockey Championships with regionals to take place in Minneapolis, Green Bay, Bridgeport, and Worcester. The winners of each regional will then compete Easter weekend at the Frozen Four in Tampa.

Worcester (Northeast)

#1 Boston College vs. #4 Air Force

#2 Minn-Duluth vs. #3 Maine

Minneapolis (West)

#1 North Dakota vs. #4 Western Michigan

#2 Minnesota vs. #3 Boston University

Bridgeport (East)

#1 Union vs. #4 Michigan State

#2 Miami vs. #3 Mass-Lowell

Green Bay (Midwest)

#1 Michigan vs. #4 Cornell

#2 Ferris State vs. #3 Denver

I have also created a bracket challenge group through US College Hockey magazine's website.

http://www.pickemhockey.com/bracket/index.php

Group Name: njdevs

Password: parise

Just a heads up for anyone that wants to see some Devils prospects today. ESPNU has 2 games that feature Devils prospects, first Miami (Blake Coleman) vs. UMass Lowell at 6:30 followed by Michigan (Jon Merrill, David Wohlberg) vs. Cornell at 9:00.

ESPNU will also show Michigan State vs. Union (Kelly Zajac) at 3:00 and a tape delayed viewing of Denver vs. Ferris State at 11:30.

The Miami game was wild, UMass Lowell surprised everyone, controlling the game for the first 2 periods. Miami stormed back in the 3rd period scoring 3 goals in 6:48 to tie it. UMass Lowell then had to kill off a major boarding penalty to end the 3rd and start OT. Shortly after that, with Coleman on the ice at the end of his shift, they scored to pull off the upset 4-3.

Its a shame to see Coleman's freshman season end. He may have been 20, but from the brief viewings I had of him this year I liked what I saw. He is only 5'11 but is a solid, built 198 lbs. He loves to engage in physical play on the boards and in front of the net, skates fairly well, and has an offensive game that could develop into making him a solid 3rd liner in the NHL one day if he can work on his defensive game. He started the year at C, moved to LW, and moved back to C later in the year where he seemed most comfortable. I look forward to seeing him with an increased role on Miami next year.

Coleman's Stats: 39 GP 12 G 11 A 23 Pts +13 56 PIM 11.32 SH% 2.72 SH/GP 2 PPG 2 PPA 4 PP Pts

Wow Michigan can't buy a goal.

I really hope this isn't another upset in the making. So far a bad night for Devils prospects in the NCAA Tournament and OHL playoffs.

I've only been able to see parts of the 1st period and the 2nd so far. So far a rough night for Merrill with 2 penalties and 2 turnovers, one resulting in a goal.

Merrill turned the puck over on the blue line on the PP, leading to Cornell's short handed goal in the beginning of the 2nd that gave them a 2-1 lead.

Merrill was unable to handle a tough pass later in the 2nd at the blue line which lead to a penalty shot for Cornell that Hunwick stopped for Michigan.