2011-12 Albany Devils thread

Triumph

Gelinas has a funny way of skating, but has very good wheels. Kinda "bowl legged" but very quick as is Urbom. Both mobile. Sislo was a healthy scratch and I was hoping to see him play.

Pronger skates bowlegged as well and was pretty mobile early in his career so I have no problem with this. I have yet to see him score many with his slap shot which is very heavy.

Friday 1/13

Kalamazoo defeated Cincinnati 3-1: Young (E, 1 Shot), Haczyk (+1, 4 Shots), and Clermont (31 Saves on 32 Shots - 2nd Star).

Trenton lost to South Carolina 4-1: Stoesz (E, 1 Shot).

Elmira lost to Reading 3-2 in OT: Pielmeier (31 Saves on 34 Shots).

Saturday 1/14

Albany lost to Syracuse 3-2 in a shoot out. Scoring twice for the Devils was Perkovich (4) (Zajac and Banwell) and (5) (Burlon and Banwell). Kinkaid stopped 28 of 30 shots in the game and just 1 of 5 in the shoot out. Perkovich with 2 goals, +2, 3 shots was named 2nd star and Banwell with 2 assists, +2, 1 shot was named 3rd star. Josefson was -1 and scored in the shoot out. Here is the gamesheet. Below are the highlights.

Their next game is Monday against Adirondack at 2:00.

Kalamazoo lost to Toledo 5-4: Young (Assist, E), Haczyk (Goal, E, 2 Shots), and Clermont (DNP).

Trenton defeated Reading 3-2: Stoesz (-1, 2 Shots, 2 PIM - Slashing).

Elmira lost to South Carolina 2-1: Pielmeier (DNP).

Sunday 1/15

Kalamazoo defeated Toledo 2-1 in a SO: Young (E), Haczyk (E, 2 Shots), and Clermont (31 Saves on 32 Shots, Stopped 6 of 8 in SO - 3rd Star).

Trenton lost to Elmira 3-1: Stoesz (E, 1 Shot, 4 PIM - Roughing Double Minor) for Trenton. Pielmeier (42 Saves on 43 Shots - 1st Star) for Elmira.

Albany defeated Adirondack 5-3. Scoring for the Devils was Perkovich (6) (PP, Sislo and Gelinas), Anderson (7) (SH, Harrold), Josefson (1) (Zharkov and Sislo), Sestito (3) (Perkovich), and Mills (2) (Palmieri and Wiseman). Frazee stopped 32 of 35 shots earning 1st star. Perkovich with a goal and an assist earned 2nd star. He now has 3 goals and an assist in his past 2 games. Here is the gamesheet. Below are the highlights.

Their next game is Wednesday against Norfolk at 7:00.

Also a sidenote posted in the Henrique thread but it looks like Josefson has been recalled by NJ.

Albany lost to Norfolk 5-4. Veilleux had a hat trick scoring goals 6, 7, and 8 on the season. The assists for those goals went (Urbom and Berube), (Sestito and Whitney), and (Whitney) respectively. The fourth Devils goal was scored by Wiseman (3) (Palmieri and Zharkov). Kinkaid stopped 21 of 26 shots. Veilleux earned 1st star in the loss. Here is the gamesheet. Highlights below:

Line-Up (from Bill Cain):

Veilleux-Sestito-Whitney

Zharkov-Wiseman-Palmieri

Hoeffel-Zajac-Sislo

Berube-Perkovich-Nagy

Urbom-Harrold

Kelly-Gelinas

Banwell-Burlon

Their next game is Friday against Adirondack at 7:00.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Albany lost to Adirondack 3-2. Scoring for the Devils was Sislo (7) (Wiseman and Zharkov) and Wiseman (4) (PP, Sestito). Frazee stopped 33 of 36 shots. Wiseman had a Gordie Howe hat trick. Here is the gamesheet. I'll edit in highlights if they are made available.

Their next game is Saturday against Springfield at 7:00.

Kalamazoo lost to Reading 4-1: Young (Goal, +1, 4 Shots), Haczyk (E, 4 Shots), and Clermont (22 Saves on 25 Shots).

Elmira defeated Trenton 4-3: Pielmeier (DNP).

Albany defeated Springfield 5-2. Scoring a hat trick for the Devils was Whitney (9, 10, 11) with assists going to (Tedenby and Sestito), (PP, Gelinas and Tedenby), and (Sestito and Zharkov) respectively. The other goals were scored by Nagy (1, 2) with assists going to (Berube and Sislo) and (Palmieri and Burlon) respectively. Kinkaid stopped 28 of 30 shots. Whitney, Nagy, and Sestito earned the three stars. Here is the gamesheet. I'll edit in the highlights if they are made available.

Their next game is Friday against Binghamton at 7:05.

Kalamazoo defeated Trenton 6-2: Young (Assist, +2, 1 Shot, 15 PIM - Fighting, Game Misconduct - Secondary Altercation), Haczyk (+1, 2 Shots), and Clermont (DNP).

Elmira defeated Wheeling 7-4: Pielmeier (34 Saves on 38 Shots).

Elmira lost to Gwinnett 4-3: Pielmeier (Stopped 22 of 26 shots, Allowed 3 PPG).

Pielmeier: 18 GP 2.98 GAA .908 SV%

http://blog.timesunion.com/hockey/devils-notes-taormina-in-albany-but-not-as-all-star/10983/

The closest to a return has been defenseman Matt Corrente, out since Dec. 27 with a hamstring injury, is skating again and is close to returning. Fellow d-man Jay Leach, whose last game was Dec. 16 after aggravating a previous leg injury, is not close to returning, according to Kowalsky.

Even with those injuries, the Devils have seven healthy defensemen, thanks to Taormina’s temporary return. “It’s been a long time,” Kowalsky said. “We’ve been skating on thin ice with that, but now we have some options.”

Forwards Matt Anderson, Nathan Perkovich and J.S. Berube, all with lower-body injures, all sat out practice and will not be available this weekend.

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/rat-tales/2012/jan/26/crowded-ice/

Kowalsky on Urbom

“He’s made huge strides. Last year, he started in the NHL and maybe it wasn’t the best thing for him at the time. He maybe thought he should have been there. But he came in [this season] with a totally different attitude, different mindset into training camp. He’s been great. He’s made great strides, and it’s good to see him rewarded. Because of our depth, we maybe over-used him [last season], if that’s the right term. Last year, he was on the power play — and not to say he couldn’t play the power play, but it was probably too much ice for a 19-year-old kid — as a result, he ended up playing tired and trying to do too much. This year, he’s been great.

“He’s really emerged in practices. He’s a quiet — he speaks up once in a while, but his competitive nature is starting to come out. He’ll let guys know if they’re not doing things hard or doing things the right way.

Kowalsky on Whitney

“He can shoot the puck. He’s been struggling a little bit, as of late. Playing with Tedenby probably helped, he made a heck of a play, but I’ll tell you, his second goal on his forehand — Gelinas missed the net ... We just watched it again this morning. He was in between the bottom of the circle and the goal line. He one-timed it on his forehand, popped the water bottle right off. Joe can score. I’ve been saying all year, he’s got a little something extra, offensively, that we don’t have here. Now, with this lineup, we have some guys. But if he can continue to push himself and learn the other part of the game, I think he can be a heck of a player at this level.”

Albany lost to Binghamton 3-2. Scoring for the Devils, 28 seconds apart, was Taormina (5) (PP, Harrold and Josefson) and Veilleux (9) (Zharkov and Taormina). Frazee stopped 21 of 24 shots. Zharkov has 5 assists in his past 5 games. Here is the gamesheet. Below are the highlights:

Their next game is Saturday against Adirondack at 5:00.

Kalamazoo lost to Cincinnati 3-2 in OT: Young (DNP - Healthy), Haczyk (Goal, E, 2 PIM - Hooking, 3 Shots - 2nd Star), and Clermont (42 Saves on 45 Shots, Assist).

Edited by thefiestygoat

Nice to see Taormina with a couple of points in that one. What do you think the chances are of Zharkov making it in the NHL some time soon? Specifically in something other than a fourth line role, I mean. It's strange how things don't translate sometimes.

If it was up to me Zharkov would be playing over guys like Boulton and Janssen and would've had a shot before Sestito and Zalewski. I really think he could be a valuable 3rd/4th liner for the Devils but it looks like they have no intention of him playing in New Jersey this year. I've heard rumors/speculation that he has an agreement with Lou to go back to Russia for next season if he doesn't make the team by the end of this year. I don't know how legitimate it is but it wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Albany defeated Adirondack 3-0. Scoring for the Devils was Sestito (4) (Wiseman and Kinkaid), Harrold (2) (Veilleux and Zalewski), and Josefson (2) (EN, Wiseman and Gionta). Kinkaid had a 30 save shutout to go along with his assist to earn 1st star. Sestito and Harrold earned 2nd and 3rd stars respectively. Here is the gamesheet. Highlights and line-up below:

Via Bill Cain:

Tedenby-Josefson-Bernier

Wiseman-Sestito-Gionta

Veilleux-Zajac-Sislo

Whitney-Zalewski-Zharkov

Urbom-Harrold

Banwell-Taormina

Kelly-Gelinas

Their next game is Friday against Connecticut at 7:00.

Kalamazoo defeated Wheeling 2-1: Young (DNP), Haczyk (E, 2 Shots), and Clermont (DNP).

Elmira lost to Gwinnett 4-1: Pielmeier (27 Saves on 30 Shots).