363 replies to this topic

#341 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

I still don't understand how being beaten on a breakaway in overtime against a talent like Kopitar is considered "bad."

It's not. You got to give Kopitar credit for making a great move. Not much Marty could do there except pray it doesn't go in somehow. The first goal was stoppable, although the D needs to be stronger on the puck and the other D/C need to pick up the player in theslot waiting for the pass. Marty played very well last night. If they could have tapped in some open net shots (Clarkson x 2, Parise, and Fayne), they would have won last night and the OT breakaway would be a non-story.

I still feel good about our chances going forward in the series, but Game 2 is EXTREMELY important now. I want to see how LA will react when faced with adversity in these playoffs, something that they haven't had to deal with to date (very much to their credit).
Posted Image

#342 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

I feel like Arlette may be a damn jinx...

She definitely sung before Game 3 of the ECF vs Rags...LOSS

She sung last night...LOSS

I cannot remember, did she sing before Games 4 and/or 6 vs the Rags?

she sang game 6 she went out with her daughter or something or other

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

#343 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

It's not. You got to give Kopitar credit for making a great move. Not much Marty could do there except pray it doesn't go in somehow. The first goal was stoppable, although the D needs to be stronger on the puck and the other D/C need to pick up the player in theslot waiting for the pass. Marty played very well last night. If they could have tapped in some open net shots (Clarkson x 2, Parise, and Fayne), they would have won last night and the OT breakaway would be a non-story.

I still feel good about our chances going forward in the series, but Game 2 is EXTREMELY important now. I want to see how LA will react when faced with adversity in these playoffs, something that they haven't had to deal with to date (very much to their credit).

Well for us to see how LA will react when faced with adversity, we absolutely need to win SATURDAY. If we go down 0-2 heading back to LA we are sunkkkk....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#344 SuperPuddy

SuperPuddy

Prospect

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

I still don't understand how being beaten on a breakaway in overtime against a talent like Kopitar is considered "bad."

I didn't mean to say it was bad, but goalies have been known to stop breakaways/penalty shots from talent even better than Kopitar from time to time.
Cory Schneider stopped Kopitar on a clean breakaway in round 1 with a little help from the clock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrzlFgQv-lc

If you gave Kopitar 10 clean breakaways/penalty shots against Marty, I can almost assure you that Marty would stop at least one of them, probably more.
He didn't stop the one that would had kept us in the game last night...
Which goes back to the original question, who played better last night, Marty or Quick?

If you pushed me for an answer, I would say Quick because he did a better job keeping the puck out of the net and won the game.

#345 PrincessHenrik

PrincessHenrik

Draft Pick

• Pond Hockey
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:41 AM

Long time lurker, first time poster;

From what I saw wednesday night, if the devils play the same way this Saturday, I'm very comfortable- they had at least 4 chances to score on a relatively open net that they didn't capitalize on...sure some adjustments could be made but no where near as many that were necessary against Philly and new york after the first games. The kings are a good team, but the devils can beat them, even if the kings adjust I think the devils (specifically PDB and co) are more than capable of countering

#346 newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:15 AM

watching the game after work, hours after the game actually finished..

the Devils just didn't seem to have that jump in their step compared to the last couple of Rangers games..

if they hit their stride like they did against the Rangers, work out their forecheck and cycling, and finish ok, then i think they will be fine.

they just looked tired and like it was a regular season game that didnt mean much yesterday. they were lucky to stay in it.

Definitely looking for a better result saturday night!

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to none." "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
jerseys3.png

#347 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:15 AM

Funny moment (sorry if already posted):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbkN7QT25N8

Hahaha the good ol smelling salts, classic

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#348 Metal_King

Metal_King

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

Game 2 is extremely important, clearly. LA has been the dog all playoff long. In each of the first 3 series', they have gone up 3 games to none. They have not faced adversity at all this playoff year.

But, if any team could do it, it is the Devils. They have arguably the best goalie I have ever seen. Yes, I do put Brodeur ahead of Roy.

I will be with my son in the building at game 4. It will be his first Cup game ever...my second. It will be glorious and something that we will share for the rest of our lives.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Black Sabbath started it, Iron Maiden perfected it.

#349 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

I didn't mean to say it was bad, but goalies have been known to stop breakaways/penalty shots from talent even better than Kopitar from time to time.
Cory Schneider stopped Kopitar on a clean breakaway in round 1 with a little help from the clock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrzlFgQv-lc

If you gave Kopitar 10 clean breakaways/penalty shots against Marty, I can almost assure you that Marty would stop at least one of them, probably more.
He didn't stop the one that would had kept us in the game last night...
Which goes back to the original question, who played better last night, Marty or Quick?

If you pushed me for an answer, I would say Quick because he did a better job keeping the puck out of the net and won the game.

his face down leg spread almost worked, but he didnt get his right pad down, oh well cant kill him. sal might have been better off taking the middle when zids fell, again, shoulda coulda. kings are a good team and well coached on our breakouts, but hopefully our depth keeps us in it. cant let their 3rd and 4th lines score period!

kov looks shot to hell, is NBC not allow to directly say it??? he's hurt, bad!

#350 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

I don't know how you can compare
Marty made some great saves, but he let in a soft goal and was beaten on a breakaway.

Once again, a one timer from the slot is not a soft goal. Stoppable, yes, but not a softie.
Posted Image

#351 Metal_King

Metal_King

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

Once again, a one timer from the slot is not a soft goal. Stoppable, yes, but not a softie.

Not even the camera could follow the pass. It was pretty much a bang bang play.

#352 Metal_King

Metal_King

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

I am looking forward to game 2. That way, when the controversial plays come about, we can debate. :-)

Before the playoffs, Dustin Brown wasn't hated all that much around the league. Now, I think that Vancouver, St. Louis, and Phoenix all want his head on a platter. lol

#353 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,960 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

I am looking forward to game 2. That way, when the controversial plays come about, we can debate. :-)

Before the playoffs, Dustin Brown wasn't hated all that much around the league. Now, I think that Vancouver, St. Louis, and Phoenix all want his head on a platter. lol

I've always been a big Dustin Brown fan. I love the way he plays. Talk to me in a week or two to see if that's still the case lol.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#354 Metal_King

Metal_King

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

I've always been a big Dustin Brown fan. I love the way he plays. Talk to me in a week or two to see if that's still the case lol.

Too funny. Well, he is indeed a hard hitter...or has become a hard hitter.

#355 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,960 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

Too funny. Well, he is indeed a hard hitter...or has become a hard hitter.

That's one of the main reasons I like him. I love guys who play on the edge like that. Guys who show no remorse and just play the game hard. I'd take 20 Dustin Browns on my team any day.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#356 Gunslinger27

Gunslinger27

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

I was highly impressed with Gio's play the entire night....... :cheers:
#357 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,954 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

What happened with the crowd in game 1? TSN Panel was saying how dead it was during pregame and when the puck dropped, and it sounded that way on TV as well. Nothing compared to every other game in the playoffs. They quoted unnamed players that couldn't believe how flat it was. I guess the players were too.

Hope game 2 is better.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#358 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

I think the crowd was ready, and positive during the pregame...but the first two periods were a clusterfvck with general sloppiness all over and an early LA goal, it certainly wasn't as electric as all the games we got out to 2-0, 3-0 starts but that's normal.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#359 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,954 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:53 PM

I think the crowd was ready, and positive during the pregame...but the first two periods were a clusterfvck with general sloppiness all over and an early LA goal, it certainly wasn't as electric as all the games we got out to 2-0, 3-0 starts but that's normal.

Well, they said they noticed it from the pregame. It was a bad beginning, but this is the Finals. The crowd has to be a source of energy regardless how the team is. And I thought they were like that all playoffs right from puck drop with huge chants even against Florida. Oh well.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#360 SuperPuddy

SuperPuddy

Prospect

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

Soft for Marty, even he said in an interview that it was a little soft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users