993 replies to this topic

#521 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:48 PM

Just picked up 6 packs of Sly Fox IPA and Pils for beach this weekend. I'll get back with opinions Monday. I loved ntheir winter ale, so I have high hopes.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#522 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:52 AM

I am in San Bernardino, California currently enjoying a Pliny the Elder, bottled twelve days ago. This IPA is widely regarded as one of the top three in the world and is only available in California. For a beer that smacks you in the face with hops, it is incredibly smooth and drinkable.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#523 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

I am in San Bernardino, California currently enjoying a Pliny the Elder, bottled twelve days ago. This IPA is widely regarded as one of the top three in the world and is only available in California. For a beer that smacks you in the face with hops, it is incredibly smooth and drinkable.

Sweet! I am going to be out in California at the end of August. Maybe I will be able to find it while I'm there.

#524 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

This will help you track it down. Don't forget to call the places before you go to make sure they have it in stock.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#525 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

Just picked up a variety pack of bar harbor and got myself a bottle of three philosophers

#526 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

This will help you track it down. Don't forget to call the places before you go to make sure they have it in stock.

Excellent, I'll be sure to take that list with me, thanks.

Ahh, the things we do to find a good beer!
:cheers:

#527 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

Just picked up 6 packs of Sly Fox IPA and Pils for beach this weekend. I'll get back with opinions Monday. I loved ntheir winter ale, so I have high hopes.

The prima pils was really good. I don't usually go for pilsner, but for a beach weekend, I made an exception, and it paid off. This one was surprisingly flavorful, a little hoppy for a pils, but still refreshing and easy to drink. One of the best hot day beers I've had in awhile.

The IPA was good. Nothing exceptional, but nothing wrong. Somebody else brought Stone IPA, which is one of my all time favorites, so the comparison certainly didn't help. I'd def drink the Sly Fox again, but would't go crazy to get it.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#528 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks, dude! I'm gonna be in the Bay Area in a couple weeks, and I'm def gonna try to pick some up now.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#529 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks, dude! I'm gonna be in the Bay Area in a couple weeks, and I'm def gonna try to pick some up now.

The Bay Area? That's where'll I be the last week in August. I am hoping to take a tour of the Anchor Steam Brewery in San Fran while I'm there.

#530 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

The Bay Area? That's where'll I be the last week in August. I am hoping to take a tour of the Anchor Steam Brewery in San Fran while I'm there.

I'm trying to get to them or Lagunitas.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#531 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

I'm trying to get to them or Lagunitas.

Lagunitas? I drank a lot of Lagunitas the last time I was out there a couple of years ago. :)

Where I really want to go to is the Sierra Nevada Brewery. But that one, in Chico, might be a little too far out of the way for me.

Edited by 95Crash, 16 July 2012 - 11:04 PM.

#532 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

Just tried Climax Golden Ale, and am less than impressed. Do they have any better brews?

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#533 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:43 PM

Just tried Climax Golden Ale, and am less than impressed. Do they have any better brews?

I've never even heard of that one, but their nut brown ale is great. I enjoyed their IPA although I thought it tasted more like Fruity Pebbles than an IPA, but I love Fruity Pebbles.
--John Buccigross

#534 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

I'm a little picky when it comes to the wild and crazy craft beers I've seen lately (Rogue maple & bacon stout??!) But as far as real microbrew...My GF is from Riverhead on Long Island originally, she took me out to Greenport on the North Fork over Memorial Day weekend and we went to Greenport Brewery. Right now they run out of a converted old firehouse, but are expanding. They were doing beer tastings then and I didn't have a single type I didn't like there. Too bad they only do growlers and kegs for restaurants right now. I hear they may be doing bottling at some point soon.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#535 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

Picked up a variety pack of River Horse on Sunday which was National Beer Day or something like that. Nothing special was going on and didn't know about it until my gf sent me an article about it.

Also went to the Office recently in Bridgewater, NJ. They always have a good beer selection but last time was awesome. Had a bottle of Three Philosophers by Ommegang and a pint of Carton Boat from the taps.

#536 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

Anyone ever go to Maloney's in Matawan? I was there a week or so ago and was blown away by their awesome beer selection. I don't think I've seen a draft list of such quality and quantity anywhere in New Jersey. While there I had:

Flying Fish Exit 16, wild rice IPA
Carton 077XX imperial IPA
River Horse Hefe-Ryzen rye hefeweizen
Ramstein Classic dunkelweizen
Southern Tier Creme Brulee imperial milk stout

I don't remember what my roommate had except for Founders Devil Dancer triple IPA and Founders Imperial Stout.

The Ramstein Classic was one awesome beer, I'm usually not too big a fan of wheat beers but the banana flavor from the yeast in this one was really nice. I need to drink more dunkelweizens, I've only had two or three and at least two of them were really good.
--John Buccigross

#537 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

Anyone ever go to Maloney's in Matawan? I was there a week or so ago and was blown away by their awesome beer selection. I don't think I've seen a draft list of such quality and quantity anywhere in New Jersey. While there I had:

Flying Fish Exit 16, wild rice IPA
Carton 077XX imperial IPA
River Horse Hefe-Ryzen rye hefeweizen
Ramstein Classic dunkelweizen
Southern Tier Creme Brulee imperial milk stout

I don't remember what my roommate had except for Founders Devil Dancer triple IPA and Founders Imperial Stout.

The Ramstein Classic was one awesome beer, I'm usually not too big a fan of wheat beers but the banana flavor from the yeast in this one was really nice. I need to drink more dunkelweizens, I've only had two or three and at least two of them were really good.

Nice and that rivals the Tap Room at Somerset Hills Hotel in Warren, NJ. Here is their current tap list in case anyone is interested:

Tap List

#538 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

Nice and that rivals the Tap Room at Somerset Hills Hotel in Warren, NJ. Here is their current tap list in case anyone is interested:

Tap List

That's a pretty good list. Maloney's must have had around 100 beers on tap though and even more in bottles. I thought it was just what they had listed on the website, but apparently that is just what they have recently added.

Edited by devilsfan26, 08 August 2012 - 11:41 AM.

--John Buccigross

#539 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

I will have to make an effort to get to Maloneys with the Irish side of my family, they love that stuff.

#540 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

Just got back from St. Louis, which has a great beer scene. Urban Chestnut had a ton of good beers, especially German styles, bocks and weisses. Also hit up Buffalo brewing co., a decent downtown brewpub. My brother lives out there and volunteered at a festival and filled a ton of water bottles with some great local stuff.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users