Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

Nashville just has nothing better to do.

Go to any Rangers versus anyone else than the Devils game.  Listen to how many whistles and chants they sing about the Devils.  I'll tell you how many: Zero.

Unfair comparison dude, I've been to enough games at Madison Square Garden to know Rangers games are so tame, relatively speaking. It's not an overgeneralization that 60+% of the people in the building don't even have a Rangers jersey or paraphernalia on, it's the flat-out truth. It's a corporate/client-meeting venue and that's it. Many nights, the loudest the crowd gets is when it's booing its power play.

You can argue that we have a complex towards the rags. But the you suck chant is done out of fun no matter who our opponent is.

Thus proving that our fans care more about the other team than our own.  Why can't we just celebrate our players scoring a goal without the childish you suck to the other team?

For many years we just did "Hey!" and it was fine and it was fun.  Why must we add the additional "you suck" part and turn the celebration into a focus on the other team?

It's not a matter of being offended because of a naughty word or somehow being mean.  It's just stupid, and it, as Tri noted, gets particularly idiotic when we're down 3-0.  

It's the equivalent of a Sterling canned homerun call.  It completely ruins the moment.   

Meh. That's over-analysis IMO. It boils down to one simple thing: We are Devils fans. Whoever we are playing -- no matter what the standings say, no matter what the scoreboard says -- sucks. And they suck not because we're ahead of them in the game or ahead in the standings. They suck because they aren't the Devils. They suck because they aren't our team. That's it.

And besides, if you only support your team a certain way when they're on top and then tone it down when they're behind, it feels fairweather to me. There's something admirable about a fanbase that doesn't back off of the visiting team and stays just as rabid as ever, no matter what the standings or score says. To me, it'd be weird if we celebrated goals one way when we were ahead, and another way when we were behind. It'd feel like our support of the team was conditional. I feel slimy just thinking about it.

But maybe that's just me.

Unfair comparison dude, I've been to enough games at Madison Square Garden to know Rangers games are so tame, relatively speaking. It's not an overgeneralization that 60+% of the people in the building don't even have a Rangers jersey or paraphernalia on, it's the flat-out truth. It's a corporate/client-meeting venue and that's it. Many nights, the loudest the crowd gets is when it's booing its power play.

Ok let's say 40% are the true blue fans.  How many of those do you hear even start any Devils suck chants?

It's a very fair comparison. 

The rangers still yell Potvin sucks, does that mean they have a complex too?

I don't know why any of this stuff is analyzed so much. The chants are fun and peole enjoy them. There isn't some deep meaning behind any of it.

Yes they do it, but last time I went to a game at MSG they do not do that chant 3 times a period.

They also don't follow it up with "Flyers swallow and Crosby Watches!"

Meh. That's over-analysis IMO. It boils down to one simple thing: We are Devils fans. Whoever we are playing -- no matter what the standings say, no matter what the scoreboard says -- sucks. And they suck not because we're ahead of them in the game or ahead in the standings. They suck because they aren't the Devils. They suck because they aren't our team. That's it.

And besides, if you only support your team a certain way when they're on top and then tone it down when they're behind, it feels fairweather to me. There's something admirable about a fanbase that doesn't back off of the visiting team and stays just as rabid as ever, no matter what the standings or score says. To me, it'd be weird if we celebrated goals one way when we were ahead, and another way when we were behind. It'd feel like our support of the team was conditional. I feel slimy just thinking about it.

But maybe that's just me.

How about just saying "Hey" regardless of the score?

I noticed a pattern two seasons ago, during the playoffs, where I noticed the split between Devils fans. It might be an age thing? 4-5 years ago, our fanbase was the biggest pansy fanbase in the league. If there was a Devils-Flyers or Devils-Rangers home game, chances are 50% of the upper season ticket holders were selling their tickets on StubHub.

Then 2012 came and we had something to be loud about. And there were more Devils fans (here and elsewhere) complaining about our own drunk aggressive fans than they were complaining about the days we'd have whole rows of drunk obnoxious orange Flyers fans to deal with in the 200s.. I'll take the former over the latter. I'd rather see some Flyers fan's girlfriend leaving the Rock crying from the humiliation in 2012 than seeing Devils fans' kids (and girlfriends) leaving crying and upset in 2008-2009, or worse, just stop attending those games. Anything that makes it a harder place to play against (and visit, for opposing fans), is fine by me. I don't care how little of a "true fan" you may think some of these new kids and drunk dudes coming to games are, it's better than being hurled obscenities all night by rows of inbred Philly fans. After I heard one of them scream at a mom, "I hope you fvcking die of breast cancer!" in 2010, and not get kicked out, I realized something had to change, and I'm glad it did.

And "You suck!" and "Rangers suck!" chants are a small but integral part of that, as dumb and insignificant as it sounds.

Edited by DJ Eco

So then it is about the word "suck"?

Look, if the crowd stopped saying "you suck", I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. But there is something extremely New Jersey about it that kinda makes me hope it sticks. The whole state has a giant "fvck you" attitude and I love it. Especially since moving to MD. Every time I see a middle finger, I get a little homesick.

Honestly, is there anything more Jersey than pumping your fist and yelling "you suck"? The only thing missing is a car horn.

I noticed a pattern two seasons ago, during the playoffs, where I noticed the split between Devils fans. It might be an age thing? 4-5 years ago, our fanbase was the biggest pansy fanbase in the league. If there was a Devils-Flyers or Devils-Rangers home game, chances are 50% of the upper season ticket holders were selling their tickets on StubHub.

Then 2012 came and we had something to be loud about. And there were more Devils fans (here and elsewhere) complaining about our own drunk aggressive fans than they were complaining about the days we'd have whole rows of drunk obnoxious orange Flyers fans to deal with in the 200s.. I'll take the former over the latter. I'd rather see some Flyers fan's girlfriend leaving the Rock crying from the humiliation in 2012 than seeing Devils fans' kids (and girlfriends) leaving crying and upset in 2008-2009, or worse, just stop attending those games. Anything that makes it a harder place to play against (and visit, for opposing fans), is fine by me. I don't care how little of a "true fan" you may think some of these new kids and drunk dudes coming to games are, it's better than being hurled obscenities all night by rows of inbred Philly fans. After I heard one of them scream at a mom, "I hope you fvcking die of breast cancer!" in 2010, and not get kicked out, I realized something had to change, and I'm glad it did.

And "You suck!" and "Rangers suck!" chants are a small but integral part of that, as dumb and insignificant as it sounds.

So to be better than them we have to lower ourselves to the Flyers fans?  C'mon you know how crazy that sounds.  Flyers fans were like that since that team was founded and no matter who their teams are, Philly fans feel like they have a reputation to uphold and so they are obnoxious no matter what.

The Philly fans were not leaving crying because of our fans standing our ground or anything like that, its because the team was actually winning in the 2012 playoffs and their team was overrated.  We could have chanted "hey" during every goal song and that girl would still have left the arena crying.

Also the only reason why fans started coming to the Rock is because the Devils have been releasing tons of ticket discount deals and not forcing most fans to pay face prices that are completely silly.  That again had nothing to do with Devils fans now enforcing their home turf.

So then it is about the word "suck"?

Look, if the crowd stopped saying "you suck", I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. But there is something extremely New Jersey about it that kinda makes me hope it sticks. The whole state has a giant "fvck you" attitude and I love it. Especially since moving to MD. Every time I see a middle finger, I get a little homesick.

Honestly, is there anything more Jersey than pumping your fist and yelling "you suck"? The only thing missing is a car horn.

No it is not about the word, it is the whole inferiority complex about it.  Again for the 100th time, no one here and most people would agree that the word suck is not even close to cursing.  Hell I use that word many times a day.  It's the fact that we lower ourselves to where we can't cheer our own team without turning our focus on to the other team at the same time that bothers the sh!t out of me.

Look around at the arena too.  Look at the people who are doing the "you suck" part and look at the people who only say "hey."  It is def an age thing and it is a product of younger fans who know nothing except success trying to turn the Rock into some doubt bush-league college game atmosphere.

The annual "You Suck" thread is always good for some interesting reading. The juices really seem to flow!

I was never a fan of it personally, but not because it's offensive or embarrassing. The word "suck" isn't horrible IMO.

Even though I don't want my 5-year-old son yelling out that anyone "sucks!" at the game, I get that NHL hockey is a rough-and-tumble sport not meant for pussies and that curse words will be heard at the arena. Hell, to be honest, that always was one part of the fan experience that I liked about the sport. And if one of the other team's villains -- like Sean Avery or Peter Worrell back in the day -- was taking a run at a Devils player or doling out cheapshots, I'd be all for joining in on a good "You suck" chant.

But chanting "You suck" after a Devils goal always has been, in my mind ... well, mindless. After a Devils goal, I'm more interested in being happy that the Devs just scored. The "Hey!" song was always perfect for celebrating that.

I get that the chant is supposed to be funny. But after a few times IMHO, the joke gets old quick.

However, it's obvious to me that a lot fans still like doing it, so I've learned to accept it as "It is what it is."

But now it seems maybe the team has grown tired of it?

Ok let's say 40% are the true blue fans.  How many of those do you hear even start any Devils suck chants?

The Devils-Rangers fan comparison is really apples to oranges. They don't have a "Devils suck!", maybe because their fanbase hasn't come up with a homegrown chant since "Potvin sucks!", which is kind of sad. But they won't hesitate to talk about Marty's marital issues or call him "Fatso," or even tweet his sons on Twitter taunting them about how he's their "uncle/daddy". You can pass through some of these Rangers message boards and it's almost a cult-like group repetition (therapy?) of very specific Devils-related talking points, like Marty's weight or marriage, or our finances. They just spend hours talking about it, all the time. As fans of the superior team, the line of our obnoxiousness ends at the "Rangers suck!" chant; really, that's as bad as it gets... Obviously, not every Rangers fan is engaging in the type of stuff I mentioned, just like not every Devils fan is screaming "You suck!" or "___ swallows!".. You can choose not to.

Yeah, and we'll just get Lou Lamoriello himself to get on the microphone and ask all 17,665 people to change their language to a more respectful tone because this is First Grade at St. Mary's Interparochial School. I'm sorry for the tone, but this is just silly and, even as someone who doesn't partake in most of these chants or curse too much, I fundamentally disagree with you.

Edited by DJ Eco

So to be better than them we have to lower ourselves to the Flyers fans?  C'mon you know how crazy that sounds. 

I sure have a lot more fun when a drunk Devils idiot confronts and talks back to some of the Flyers in attendance than just sitting there on my hands while they unload on our State, our team, and our fans. It's a bit dramatic to think that's "lowering" ourselves to be like Flyers fans. You're talking about the fanbase that beat two Rangers fans almost to death, and were shown choking out a Devils fan a couple years ago at Wachovia.

All I'm saying is we don't have to be so F'ing tame. Let the players be the militaristic "Lou's Army" type classy gentlemen, but they deserve a loud and boisterous fanbase. It's NEW JERSEY; we don't have to throw up on people or throw beer at opposing fans, but we should be loud and antagonistic in our own building. It's just the necessary evil I feel like we needed in our fanbase after some pretty horrible years at the hands of our rival fanbases after The Rock first opened up.

Yeah, and we'll just get Lou Lamoriello himself to get on the microphone and ask all 17,665 people to change their language to a more respectful tone because this is First Grade at St. Mary's Interparochial School. I'm sorry for the tone, but this is just silly and, even as someone who doesn't partake in most of these chants or curse too much, I fundamentally disagree with you.

It isn't about the language, for the millionth time.  You don't hear people chanting 'You suck!' when Rupp scores the go-ahead goal in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.  That chant only started in the last few years.  Point is, it was good enough for years until some group of fans decided to rip off Nashville's goal chant and it spread from there.

Edited by Triumph

Nashville just has nothing better to do.

Go to any Rangers versus anyone else than the Devils game.  Listen to how many whistles and chants they sing about the Devils.  I'll tell you how many: Zero.

Go to any Devils versus anyone but the Rangers game and I hear the Rangers suck whistle at least twice a period, I hear the Devils fans sing If you know the Rangers suck to the song "If you're happy and you know it." at least every game.  Not only that, but I see people with jerseys customized with the Rangers logo saying "Rangers suck" as well as Ranger Suck as the name on the back.  Hell there is even a guy with a jersey I have seen a few times with "Rangerssuckov"

Yup, Devils fans are perfectly comfortable and have no inferiority complex at all :whistling:  :rolleyes:

Not for nothing, but go to any Rangers v. Florida game and count how many "Potvin sucks" chants there are.  I've been to a number of Rags games with a friend of mine who is a season ticket holder over the years, and they do the Potvin chant even more than we do the "Rangers suck" chant.  Do they have an inferiority complex? 

The Isles do the "Rangers suck" chant the same way we do, so I guess they have an inferiority complex too.  If all 3 fan bases have these complexes for each others teams, then who is superior?

I feel like some of you forget that this is sports.  It's not serious and its not life or death.  It's entertainment meant to take the fans away from their worries and troubles for a few hours each day.  If you are entertained by saying "you suck" after the Devils score a goal, so be it.  It's not hurting anyone and is no more offensive then some of the things you hear on the Disney Channel nowadays.  I don't particularly like it, especially when we are losing the game by a wide margin, but I really don't get all bent out of shape over it either.  I find the "Rangers suck, Flyers swallow, Avery gives a reach around, Crosby watches, and Lundqvist wipes up afterwards" chant to be completely classless, but no more than some of the things you hear at Giants Stadium, Yankee Stadium, the Garden, Wells Fargo Center or anywhere else.  Trying to put the genie back in the bottle by taking away the fans opportunity to do these chants, or yelling at fans that say "suck" in the arena, is ridiculous.  I can't wait to see the ushers enforcing that one at games this season.  Should be fun times. 

Edited by Chuck the Duck

this thread just got good

why not just say hey fvck you!

no, serious:

I had that idea once too, LOL.

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63404&p=881551

"Hey, you suck!" doesn't go far enough.

If we really want to stick it to the other team, we should chant "Hey, fvck you!" ... Or even better, "Hey, drop dead!" ... Or better still, "Hey, die pigs!"

It isn't about the language, for the millionth time.  You don't hear people chanting 'You suck!' when Rupp scores the go-ahead goal in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.  That chant only started in the last few years.  Point is, it was good enough for years until some group of fans decided to rip off Nashville's goal chant and it spread from there.

Well, we haven't won in a decade now, so maybe the fans felt the need to fill in the blanks in terms of the entertainment that they get at a Devils game, vs. the euphoria of purely enjoying success, that maybe a new Chicago or Pittsburgh fan might have been able to experience in the past few years. Just a thought..

Totally agree with you on this.

That plus the last couple of times I went to the Garden there were more than enough lewd chants and comments about Marty in the crowd (this was in the Avery days). They're about as preoccupied with 'fatso' as we are with them.

That plus the last couple of times I went to the Garden there were more than enough lewd chants and comments about Marty in the crowd (this was in the Avery days). They're about as preoccupied with 'fatso' as we are with them.

Did 1/2 of the arena or more chant it at the same time?  Was it during a game where they weren't playing the Devils?

The only problem I have with the Hey You Suck! thing is pretty much the same most have with it. Being down 5-2 and still chanting it after we score that second goal. Otherwise it's harmless. I have more of an issue with "Flyers swallow" then "Hey you suck."

Also that Bon Jovi song sounds more of a hype song then a goal song. A bit slow-paced actually IMO.

I think if there was a huge issue with it, Lou would've done something about it by now. There has to be a reason why they switched back to it after it was gone for a few games (or a whole season)

Well I think that's what's happening. The thread was started because it seems like they'll be replacing the goal song this year, per several reports.

I don't like the 'you suck' chants. I don't join in on them. As Tri and DevsMan said, they come off like drunken college stuff, and it's just not my kind of thing. I too cringe when I hear it after we turn a 4-0 score to a 4-1 score, and I'm not a fan of the 'Rangers suck/Flyers Swallow' chant either. Again, not my thing. I'm there for the game.

But I think it's ridiculous to say the rest of the crowd can't chant what they want because of how it looks to other fans. Honestly, who gives a crap what fans of other teams think? Half the damn league thinks there are 1,500 of us napping in an empty arena while our team plays the trap all night. Even after how loud our arena was in 95 (chanting Bettman sucks), or leading the league in scoring in 2001, or shaking the CAA so bad in 2003 that the cameras on the second level were useless, or packing the house for the 2012 run when on paper we had no business outside of the first round, we still have the same empty arena/boring team stigma. I'm not interested in what other teams think of us. They will always believe what they want to, and in reality, the other 29 teams care as little about what happens in our arena as we care what happens in theirs.

For example, none of us cares that Nashville does a 'you suck' chant. We didn't care when the Isles did it. And we surely don't think that Chicago and Detroit, who often chant that each other sucks no matter who they are playing, have inferiority complexes. I think it's a far deeper inferiority complex to worry what the hell some dunce in a Flyers jersey who somehow drunkenly made it up the turnpike thinks of what our fans chant. At the end of the day, it's a sporting event, and being a fan doesn't mean you have to be logical. People are there for the "us vs them" of it all. Even with the chants, I'd rather have RR pt 2 than some generic song like Zombie Nation. I'll just cheer and yell the 'hey' part like always.

• Like 2