Possible replacements for Salvador?

JacobPaul1995

its apparent that Bryce Salvador wasn't the best choice for captain. if Pete DeBoer strips him of the "C", who do you think would make a better Captain and Alternates?

My opinion is:
Captain: Patrik Elias

First Alternate: Ilya Kovalchuk

Second Alternate: Andy Greene

Third Alternate: David Clarkson

Sal is most definitely not the best player on the team, but he, Brodeur, and Elias are definitely the leaders in the locker room. Just think back to training camp in 2011 when he came back from the concussion and a bunch of players talked about the kind of shape he was in and the way he handled himself coming back. Several players (including Zach) said he should be captain before Parise was named. He was a large part of the No-Name Defense and Swarm It Up rally cries in last year's run.

They more than likely chose him as captain because Elias doesn't want it, Brodeur can't have it, and they may not want Kovalchuk having more pressure. I don't know if there were many candidates after that. Zajac was a risk for free agency and they probably didn't want to risk that again. After that I don't know. Greene?

Can you elaborate on why this is apparent?

I share this opinion, because it was clear some nights he was the worst d-man on the ice, and sitting him was never an option.  You don't healthy scratch your captain; it's just not done.  It pissed me off to no end on those nights where, let's say, Fayne or Larsson were sitting and Salvador was playing.  He's essentially guaranteed a roster spot for this coming year as well.  

I'm not saying he should be stripped of the 'C', in fact I feel like such a move would be locker room suicide.  He hasn't done anything to deserve having it removed, he just never should have been given the 'C' in the first place, imo.  

The obvious choice for me was Kovalchuk, or Zajac.  Both on long term deals, both likely to be playing top-6 minutes for the duration of their contracts and contribute, etc.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Captains do get healthy scratched, we just don't see it often because they're normally one of the best players on the team.  I don't think Salvador not being scratched had anything do with his captaincy.  He wasn't scratched the year before either in an 82 game schedule.

I share this opinion, because it was clear some nights he was the worst d-man on the ice, and sitting him was never an option.  You don't healthy scratch your captain; it's just not done.  It pissed me off to no end on those nights where, let's say, Fayne or Larsson were sitting and Salvador was playing.  He's essentially guaranteed a roster spot for this coming year as well.  

I'm not saying he should be stripped of the 'C', in fact I feel like such a move would be locker room suicide.  He hasn't done anything to deserve having it removed, he just never should have been given the 'C' in the first place, imo.  

The obvious choice for me was Kovalchuk, or Zajac.  Both on long term deals, both likely to be playing top-6 minutes for the duration of their contracts and contribute, etc.

The qualifications shouldn't be scoring ability or length of contract.  It should be based on your command of the locker room, command of the rules, demeanor in stressful situations (discussing calls with Refs) and exemplifying traits to serve as a role model for the team.   I can't fault Sal on any of these qualifications.

kovy should be captain... but lou dont want to put more pressure on him

I imagine Kovy would embrace having the C. Probably more than he did in Atlanta too, his whole stint in Atlanta was just a sh!t show, but I really think he's enjoying his time in NJ. I see Sal as a bridge from Parise to the guy that's going to serve some serious time wearing the C (Kovalchuk)

As for where the rest of the chips fall, I'd see it being

C:Kovalchuk

A:Greene/Zajac (because of Kovalchuk injury sharing of A)

A:Elias.

I have no problem with DeBoer making Salvador captain and I don't see how any of us can question it....DeBoer is in the dressing room, we're on a forum.

It expanded his role on the team and he's clearly not a good player. Increased role means it will be tougher to scratch him

It expanded his role on the team and he's clearly not a good player. Increased role means it will be tougher to scratch him

I'm not a fan of Salvador's play or Lou re-signing him to the contract he did. But if we are just looking strictly on who should or shouldn't be captain - I don't think we have any way of forming a solid opinion from the outside. Obviously DeBoer and the other people in the dressing room think he's a fine leader. I know it's fun to debate as fans but in the end I'll always support whomever the coaching staff designates as captain.

too soon to give him the captain spot on the team... He has way too many years left on this team.. Once they give it to him theyre not going to take it away

This is silly. Scott Stevens was made Captain in 1992. Less than a year after he joined the Devils and less than a year after he initially refused to come here. He remained Captain til his retirement 13 years later. Heck, look at other organizations. Colorado named Landeskog Captain his 2nd year in the league.

Kovalchuk has been Captain of literally every team he's been a member of. His junior teams. His National team. Atlanta. He's clearly the best player on this team and may end up being the best forward this team has ever had.

I have no problems with Salvador as Captain. It's clear the guys like and respect him, but the fact remains that besides last year's playoffs, he's not even our best at his position. 

• Like 1