Rumor from Russian hockey writer: Kovy considering staying in KHL

JWomp

Besides, there probably wouldn't be any playoffs for him to come back to. NO WAY the Devils would ever agree to that, $12 million or no $12 million savings.

I don't understand why people are 'still' looking for ways the Devils can get out of the contract, it is what it is and you'd better enjoy the good years and hope the good years last as long as he's getting paid good money at least.

I expect Kovalchuk to return to New Jersey when the CBA gets ratified. However, I wouldn't hold anything against him if he wanted to finish out the year with SKA. He's captain of the best team in the league and there is the family factor. Also game 7 of the Gagarin Cup was on April 25 last year so he could finish the season there and return for NJ's playoff run. Of course there would have to be some sort of agreement/breaking of an agreement to allow him to play once there once the NHL's CBA is ratified. I really doubt he stays in the KHL past this week though...

So it's okay for Kovy to leave a team he has a SIGNED CONTRACT with for thirteen years, while Zach and other guys stink for walking out as a FA? I really don't get 'anyone' defending him in this, at least not to the extent that you would be okay with his missing regular season games. Missing two days of camp to play in the All-Star game is one thing, I'd expect him to be fined or at least he should be if that's what ends up happening but that would be the end of it. Walking out entirely would be beyond what Parise/Holik/Gomez ever did.

And like max said, the Devils bent over backwards for him with the contract. To leave us in the lurch like this with a cap number we'll be stuck with for years would be beyond disgraceful.

So it's okay for Kovy to leave a team he has a SIGNED CONTRACT with for thirteen years, while Zach and other guys stink for walking out as a FA? I really don't get 'anyone' defending him in this, at least not to the extent that you would be okay with his missing regular season games. Missing two days of camp to play in the All-Star game is one thing, I'd expect him to be fined or at least he should be if that's what ends up happening but that would be the end of it. Walking out entirely would be beyond what Parise/Holik/Gomez ever did.

And like max said, the Devils bent over backwards for him with the contract. To leave us in the lurch like this with a cap number we'll be stuck with for years would be beyond disgraceful.

Through no fault of the Devils organization (since I know they didn't want the lockout) I can understand if Kovalchuk is pissed off at the NHL and feels like he has more of an obligation to his KHL team this year after the NHL robbed him of half a year. I'm not saying its right or wrong, I'm just saying I can understand if he feels that way.

For me personally, I wasn't one of the fans that killed Parise for leaving - I wasn't happy but I understood why he did it and don't hold any bad feelings towards him.I think most of us would've made the same decision as he did if we were fortunate enough to be in that situation. While it sucks to see a guy like that go, I'm willing to look at the positive that the Devils won't be stuck overpaying him for past performances as he declines. Essentially they got great, great value out of Parise's time in NJ.

Also, if Kovalchuk did stay in the KHL and the Devils could void his deal, they wouldn't be stuck with his cap hit. It's like a get out of jail free card in a sense. I'm not advocating they should do that since I don't think the so called "Luongo" rule is really going to hurt the Devils when he retires early but I would understand it if Lou pursues it (which I doubt he will).

Through no fault of the Devils organization (since I know they didn't want the lockout) I can understand if Kovalchuk is pissed off at the NHL and feels like he has more of an obligation to his KHL team this year after the NHL robbed him of half a year. I'm not saying its right or wrong, I'm just saying I can understand if he feels that way.

If Kovy leaves, he's not leaving for half a season - it'll be for good.

And I'm sorry but the above is nonsense...he has an obligation to the team he signed an ironclad deal with for a decade and a half, not one he signed a temp deal with. Besides, the Devils didn't lock him out, the league did.

Everyone's so obsessed with the $6.6 million of cap space after his playoff run and yet it was such a great cap deal when we signed him before he'd done a darn thing for us :lol: And the Devils are STILL better off cap-wise (now) than most of the NHL.

Markov and Datsyuk are still there

just found this too:

Clarification: Malkin, Gonchar have yet to leave Moscow, but expect to 'soon.' Would prefer a set camp date. @penguins

so why is the media singling out Kovy once again?

Hes Russia's prodigy.

Edited by Zubie#8

Markov and Datsyuk are still there

just found this too:

Clarification: Malkin, Gonchar have yet to leave Moscow, but expect to 'soon.' Would prefer a set camp date. @penguins

so why is the media singling out Kovy once again?

Because, as usual when he's over there, he's the one *talking*. He did the same thing between contracts in 2010 where he was whining he'd go play for SKA. I'm sure some of it is editorializing, but it's a trend with him.

If Kovy leaves, he's not leaving for half a season - it'll be for good.

And I'm sorry but the above is nonsense...he has an obligation to the team he signed an ironclad deal with for a decade and a half, not one he signed a temp deal with. Besides, the Devils didn't lock him out, the league did.

Everyone's so obsessed with the $6.6 million of cap space after his playoff run and yet it was such a great cap deal when we signed him before he'd done a darn thing for us :lol: And the Devils are STILL better off cap-wise (now) than most of the NHL.

Like I said earlier, he'll be back in NJ so this whole debate is really for nothing. I'm just saying I can understand if he is pissed with the way the NHL handles business and disrespects players like him. I know I would be if I was in his shoes.

Because, as usual when he's over there, he's the one *talking*. He did the same thing between contracts in 2010 where he was whining he'd go play for SKA. I'm sure some of it is editorializing, but it's a trend with him.

More to the point, he goes too far trying to pacify the locals.

Like I said earlier, he'll be back in NJ so this whole debate is really for nothing. I'm just saying I can understand if he is pissed with the way the NHL handles business and disrespects players like him. I know I would be if I was in his shoes.

Twenty-two other players plus coaches in the room, they're all going to show up and pretty much none of 'them' could earn any real money or play during the lockout, at least Kovy could do both.

Twenty-two other players plus coaches in the room, they're all going to show up and pretty much none of 'them' could earn any real money or play during the lockout, at least Kovy could do both.

So it's Kovalchuk's fault that he is more talented than the other players and able to create more oppurtunities for himself? I'm not saying you have to agree or disagree, but I don't think it's that far fetched to understand if he is upset at the league (not the Devils). This is all for nothing though, he'll be back, the media just needs a story until the CBA finally gets ratified.

Is there a part of the NJD management/ownership that might actually HOPE that Kovy stays in Russia?

- potential voiding of $83 million remaining on Kovy's albatross of a contract

- cap space out the wazoo to rebuild, very flexible roster positions

- helps ownership with cash flow & future debt

Not saying it would ever happen, but it has to be in the back of the minds of JVB/Lou.

Our offensive would go to absolute utter sh!t.

i said it before resigning him that parise was invisible in thwe playoff.. He was a hard working guy and i loved him but he just didnt show up in the playoff..

I love Kovalchuk and him 98 % pourcent that kovy will be back in Jersey. But if he dont...He still show up he the playoff and i will still think he is a better player than parise.. By a lot! Im not gonna star a bashing on him.

anyway Kovy will be there and cup will be ours

Almost all the talk on here about Parise being invisible in the playoffs happened after he signed with the Wild. Before that everyone was praying he would re-sign.

I think a lot of people were saying he was invisible during the playoffs. I was definitely one of them, but I still wanted him to re-sign. He's a good player and I felt that with him on the team we were only a piece or so away from a championship. But the fact is he got paid like a Crosby, and he is just not that dynamic of a player.

He was tied with Kovalchuk for most goals on the team and was second in points. I doubt his empty-net points are really inflating his stats that significantly.

EDIT: If he was invisible in the playoffs then I guess the whole team was except for Kovalchuk. Where are the people ranting about Elias being invisible? He had half as many points as Parise and had fewer assists than Brodeur.

Edited by devilsfan26

C'mon people, Parise was a HUGE part of our team and we are definitely going to miss him. A full year of Zajac and Zidlicky will help make up those points and hopefully a full year of a competent 4th line will help but they will never make up everything else Parise did for this team. Ok he didnt put up huge numbers in the playoffs but we will never ever replace the kind of work and presence he generated when he was on the ice. You cannot replace a player like that. Admit that and move on. Thats what I did and his departure does not bother me anymore nor do I need to bring up his name anymore. The only thing I look at is the teams capability of improving from this point on.

Edited by Zubie#8

He was tied with Kovalchuk for most goals on the team and was second in points. I doubt his empty-net points are really inflating his stats that significantly.

EDIT: If he was invisible in the playoffs then I guess the whole team was except for Kovalchuk. Where are the people ranting about Elias being invisible? He had half as many points as Parise and had fewer assists than Brodeur.

Elias was invisible but he also had an injury. And off of the top of my head I count 3 empty net goals and an empty net assist for Zach. Almost half of his goals were scored empty net. And if you take away those 4 points kovy, Zajac, Salvador, henrique, and clarkson all had more points then him. Not to mention they all have much better plus minus

C'mon people, Parise was a HUGE part of our team and we are definitely going to miss him. A full year of Zajac and Zidlicky will help make up those points and hopefully a full year of a competent 4th line will help but they will never make up everything else Parise did for this team. Ok he didnt put up huge numbers in the playoffs but we will never ever replace the kind of work and presence he generated when he was on the ice. You cannot replace a player like that. Admit that and move on. Thats what I did and his departure does not bother me anymore. The only thing I look at is the teams capability of improving from this point on.

I completely agree. But people around here make it seem like Zach was just dominating and that him leaving makes us a bad team. He worked his ass off every night but he isn't a game changer. Plain and simple. During his time as a devil how many playoff series can you say that he was dominant? 1? And that one would be the Tampa bay series in 07