43 replies to this topic

#41 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

It doesn't and like you I do not like the Vietnam comparison being thrown around all the time. However when the left's answer to everything is to just talk nice and hope that they change is pie in the sky thinking. Yes it sucks that we police the world, but as the most powerful country on the planet, who else will keep the peace? UN is a joke and the World Court is a laughingstock. Some people just do not get that there has, are and will always be evil in the world and the only thing they understand is the barrel of a gun and not the handing of an olive branch.

If my only choices are -Spend $200billion developing some very scary things that destroy stuff and make enemies too afraid to attack us (or our friends) . . or -Wait until tens, hundreds, or thousands of people are attacked, then spend $200billion developing scary things and using them, I wouldn't hesitate.

I've always wondered about the effectiveness of what we are doing though. So much of it is kept so secretive, you know. Like we were really good at making deterrents for bad countries before, but now it's about picking off groups dispersed amongst other (innocent? unwitting?) citizens, without razing everything. I'll admit, the drones that we've developed have been awfully effective, and that's been a good thing. I don't think that it should be viewed as a bad thing though that some people are questioning if protecting our lives can be done differently, more cheaply, and with less risk to innocents overseas.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#42 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

Until the populations of those Muslim dominated societies (essentially theocracies) decide that the rule of law in their land should not be based on a book written centuries ago, the population as a whole will remain at the mercy of the extremists. There will never be equality for women, there will never be religious tolerance, there will never be acceptance of the gay population, etc. While they continue to govern their own populace with outdated, contradictory, racist, sexist, homophobic laws, they will also mold their diplomatic stance in the same manner. This combination of inane religious doctrine along with an extreme lack of tolerance is a breeding ground for those that choose to commit acts of terrorism under the guise of martydom.

If you continue to deny rights as a state to women, other religions, homosexuals, etc all based on religious doctrine, you have given credence and support for the rest of the garbage contained in the "holy" books.
Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#43 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

Until the populations of those Muslim dominated societies (essentially theocracies) decide that the rule of law in their land should not be based on a book written centuries ago, the population as a whole will remain at the mercy of the extremists. There will never be equality for women, there will never be religious tolerance, there will never be acceptance of the gay population, etc. While they continue to govern their own populace with outdated, contradictory, racist, sexist, homophobic laws, they will also mold their diplomatic stance in the same manner. This combination of inane religious doctrine along with an extreme lack of tolerance is a breeding ground for those that choose to commit acts of terrorism under the guise of martydom.

If you continue to deny rights as a state to women, other religions, homosexuals, etc all based on religious doctrine, you have given credence and support for the rest of the garbage contained in the "holy" books.

If you base any governmental policy on religious texts (aside from the basic stuff like, generally don't rob or kill people, try and help out the less fortunate) you've got a lot bigger problems than just promoting violence. I haven't read the Koran, and I'm not that well-read in the Bible, but I'm pretty sure you could scour the text and not find all that much input on the best way to promote economic growth, how to design a computer, build roads, figuring out a quality healthcare system, monetary policy, etc. If you think I'm exaggerating, there were a bunch of nutjobs going around in Iraq for a while shutting down ice vendors because ice isn't mentioned in the Koran.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#44 point

point

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

Nobody has mentioned Indonesia, the largest Muslim population of over 200million and a democracy. Sure they have s problem with radical Islam. Its not just the West the radicals hate. Dont think that we are so important a target.

OTOH as far as Sharia is concerned I am more worried about the fundamental Jewish communities like Lakewood, where there is a nominal secular govt but the rabbis really run the town , at least where the gangs don't
2 C6H12O6 > 2 C2H5OH + 2CO2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users