Significant FA's Remaining - Any Interest?

Neb00rs

I thought to avoid clutter, this deserves its own thread - if people disagree then mods can throw it into a UFA thread. Anyway, I made a list of the significant UFAs remaining:

(Let me know if I missed someone or added someone I shouldn't have)

Center

Derek Roy
Mike Rebeiro
Keith Aucoin
Steve Ott - STL - 2yr/5.2m
Jeff Halpern
Adam Hall (also RW)
Ryan Carter
Saku Koivu

Omissions: Scott Gomez, Michael Handzus

Left Wing

Dustin Penner
David Booth
Brenden Morrow - TB - 1yr/1.55m
Taylor Pyatt
Dany Heatley - ANA - 1yr/1m
Dan Cleary - DET - 1yr/1.5m
T.J. Galiardi
Ville Leino
Daniel Winnik

Right Wing

Devin Setoguchi
Lee Stempniak
Mikael Samuelsson
Todd Bertuzzi
Daniel Alfredsson
Pierre-Marc Bouchard
Radek Dvorak

Omissions: Chuck Kobasew, Mike Rupp, Ben Eager

Defense

Paul Ranger
Sami Salo
Carlo Colaiacovo
Derek Morris
Joe Corvo
Raphael Diaz
Anton Volchenkov - NSH - 1yr/1m
Michael Del Zotto
Francis Bouillon
Ryan Whitney
Ed Jovanovski
Cory Sarich
Sheldon Brookbank
Joni Pitkanen
Mike Komisarek
Henrik Tallinder
Andre Benoit

Omissions: Keaton Ellerby, Radek Martinek, Hal Gill

Goalie

Tomas Vokoun
Ilya Bryzgalov
Tim Thomas
J.S. Giguere (not officially retired)

Omissions: Martin Brodeur, Nikolai Khabibulin 

Edited by Neb00rs

its unreal... like...say 4 years ago. There's guys on this list like Roy, Booth, Morrow, Thomas, Heatley that i would have killed to have on the team. and now... meh...

It shows how tenuous the game is in terms of player longevity, and how dangerous long-term contracts are these days. Game's getting faster and maybe we'll look back in 20 years and say more grueling too. CBA limiting contract terms to 7-8 years is one of the best things to happen to the league. Ask the Rangers (and Minnesota in a few years)...

Edited by DJ Eco

its unreal... like...say 4 years ago. There's guys on this list like Roy, Booth, Morrow, Thomas, Heatley that i would have killed to have on the team. and now... meh...

I agree. It's almost like you want to yell "sign him!" but then you realize getting Dany Heatley does not mean 'getting Dany Heatley'.

It shows how tenuous the game is in terms of player longevity, and how dangerous long-term contracts are these days. Game's getting faster and maybe we'll look back in 20 years and say more grueling too. CBA limiting contract terms to 7-8 years is one of the best things to happen to the league. Ask the Rangers (and Minnesota in a few years)...

Couldn't agree more about the bolded.  It always cracks me up how it's the GMs or their franchises who can't ever control themselves (which is what leads to the absurd 10+ year contracts to begin with), but then it winds up being on the players to somehow correct it later.

And yeah, it's amazing how quickly some of these contracts become albatrosses (often less than halfway through the deal).  Contracts like Elias' 7-year deal where the return was pretty good overall (the first two years were the roughest...just awful puck-luck) are pretty rare.   

Would like Derek Roy as a 3C, but only if the price is right and we'd really need to be sure we could move Ryder and/or Brunner. If we could dump even just Ryder, I'd imagine that you could just give the money saved from the Ryder trade to Roy. He's only 31 and while his shot totals have been dropping, his shooting % was pretty bad last year compared to his career number.

Edited by ATLL765

Did the league shut-down for the summer? There's been dick for news now for almost a week. I understand the holiday weekend, but c'mon...

To be fair I think this July 1st was the busiest in a few years.  Not only that but I didn't really expect anything from the 4th until probably later today.

Plus most of the players left are a tier or 2 lower than the ones who have already signed.  Most will be signed to contracts between now and training camp in mid Sept.

im sure Lou is trying to move some guys but who would take like... Zubrus and give assets when you can just sign like Ott and get something similar? There's so many guys i'd just sign on that list too before trading for ryder and a few guys

Did the league shut-down for the summer? There's been dick for news now for almost a week. I understand the holiday weekend, but c'mon...

This is pretty standard IME - the first wave of moves comes right away, then there is a period of silence for the July 4th weekend, then things heat back up a little bit more.

Anyway, no, I wouldn't take any of the free agents. I'd like someone like Winnik but the Devils have Ruutu already.  They've got enough players.  Let's drop the puck already.

This is pretty standard IME - the first wave of moves comes right away, then there is a period of silence for the July 4th weekend, then things heat back up a little bit more.

Anyway, no, I wouldn't take any of the free agents. I'd like someone like Winnik but the Devils have Ruutu already.  They've got enough players.  Let's drop the puck already.

Thank You, Buzz Killington.

As Triumph pointed out, this is fairly normal. The rush is over. The leverage is all with the teams now and there's no rush bar for the very small # of guys there may be bidding "wars" over.

Look at the past few years in July:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_NHL_transactions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_NHL_transactions

After UFA Day, things still happen but at a much slower rate. A lot of teams also have their development camps coming up, so may want to see how their prospects are looking before committing another roster spot to an aged vet. 

I think this year is a little slower than the past two in terms of volume of movement, but its really nothing new. UFA Day is really a 1 - 1.5 day event at most then lots of execs take their vacations too. 

As Triumph pointed out, this is fairly normal. The rush is over. The leverage is all with the teams now and there's no rush bar for the very small # of guys there may be bidding "wars" over.

Look at the past few years in July:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_NHL_transactions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_NHL_transactions

After UFA Day, things still happen but at a much slower rate. A lot of teams also have their development camps coming up, so may want to see how their prospects are looking before committing another roster spot to an aged vet. 

I think this year is a little slower than the past two in terms of volume of movement, but its really nothing new. UFA Day is really a 1 - 1.5 day event at most then lots of execs take their vacations too. 

(According to the wiki links you provided of which I'm not sure of their accuracy) Something is definitely different. 84 signings on day 1 is 20 more than the year before and 34 more than the year before that. Day 2 had 1.5 times as many signings as the year before and 3 times as many as the year before that. This year from days 3-7 of FA we have had about 17 signings. Last year we had 18 on 3-7 but what could be throwing people off here is that the year before that we had 32 signings on days 3-7. So it seems that an irregular amount of first and second day signings combined with a big drop on 3-7 from 2012's 32 signings is what is causing the feelings of abnormality.

2014:

Day 1: 84 signings

Day 2: 15 signings

Day 3: 8 signings

Day 4: 5 signings

Day 5: 0 signings

Day 6: 1 signing

Day 7: 3 signings (??)

2013:

Day 1: 64 signings

Day 2: 10 signings

Day 3: 2 signings

Day 4: 7 signings

Day 5: 1 signings

Day 6: 3 signing

Day 7: 5 signings

2012: 

Day 1: 50 signings

Day 2: 6 signings

Day 3: 11 signings

Day 4: 5 signings

Day 5: 9 signings

Day 6: 5 signing

Day 7: 2 signings

(According to the wiki links you provided of which I'm not sure of their accuracy) Something is definitely different. 84 signings on day 1 is 20 more than the year before and 34 more than the year before that. Day 2 had 1.5 times as many signings as the year before and 3 times as many as the year before that. This year from days 3-7 of FA we have had about 17 signings. Last year we had 18 on 3-7 but what could be throwing people off here is that the year before that we had 32 signings on days 3-7. So it seems that an irregular amount of first and second day signings combined with a big drop on 3-7 from 2012's 32 signings is what is causing the feelings of abnormality.

I'd argue that it's the 5 day discussion period is the cause for these earlier signings.  You stated the effects Neboors, and didn't really name a cause.   That time is invaluable for GMs to make preliminary offers and for agents and GMs to float numbers both ways.  This is how the free agent frenzy will be from now on it seems.  I like it, however I agree with Lou that the timing is bad as it does coincide with the draft.  I don't see why the draft can't be pushed back a little so GM's can focus on one thing at a time.  

Edited by RizzMB30

I'd argue that it's the 5 day discussion period is the cause for these earlier signings.  You stated the effects Neboors, and didn't really name a cause.   That time is invaluable for GMs to make preliminary offers and for agents and GMs to float numbers both ways.  This is how the free agent frenzy will be from now on it seems.  I like it, however I agree with Lou that the timing is bad as it does coincide with the draft.  I don't see why the draft can't be pushed back a little so GM's can focus on one thing at a time.  

You wouldn't want to push back the draft, then it might butt up against the Cup Finals.  I think it makes sense to push free agency forward to July 5 with the talking period beginning on June 30.