Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After starting the season off about as brutally as a team can, to be only 1.5 games out, hard to complain about that.  And yeah, Washington is probably at least a 90-win team...they'll pick it up eventually (looks like they might be already).

Just hate when a bad manager (and though his guys do seem to play hard for him, TC does a lot of bone-headed things) costs his team a potential win with flat-out stupidity.  If Rice came into the game and gives up the same hit that Dice did before his departure, so be it...the by-the-book moves don't always work out, but at least that move would have made SENSE.  But Dice had NO business still being in the game at that point, NONE.  What exactly has he done to earn "We're living and dying with Dice" status?  If not for Farnsworth, it really could've (probably should've) been a lot worse.  It's a miracle he stranded both runners. 

I really don't understand the love affair this front office and TC have for Dice-K. He's been awful for years. Maybe a transition to the bullpen will work somehow (doubt it), but why are we so sudden to trust him with late-inning duties? Give me Torres or Germen in the 8th. Or even Jose freakin' Valverde -- who seems to have been Familia'd. He's pitched TWICE in the last two weeks. 

Edited by nmigliore

Agree, Torres had thrown 7 pitches the night before.  He wasn't available?  Germen hadn't pitched since 5/1.  It wasn't like Dice needed to be a sacrificial lamb to rest some bullpen arms.

I'm just tired of TC never being proactive with his pitchers...it's always wait until the damage is done (especially with gassed starters...he got lucky with Gee and Niese the last couple of days), then do something.  I wanted Dice out after the two walks, but I thought he should've been done after the base hit for sure. 

And I just got e-mailed another one of these gems:

Friends --

Thanks for being a Mets fan! Former and current players appreciate your support.

That's why we're going to give one of our fans who signed the Open Letter a unique Mets experience prior to the first Subway Series game at Citi Field on Wednesday, May 14th. The winning fan will have the opportunity to meet me and some of my teammates prior to the game. We'll also provide a pair of tickets to the game.

All you have to do is join the thousands of fans who have already added their name. Will you add yours?

Let's make this happen! Hopefully we'll get to meet up as well! Let's Go Mets!

Curtis Granderson

Mets.com/TrueNewYorker

Jesus Christ, just win some fvcking games, hire a GM that actually wants the job and a manager that someone else would actually want, and stop shopping at the friggin' bargain bin every offseason, and we'll happily show up!  It really is that friggin' simple.  Enough with these embarrassing "Oh pretty pretty please come and see us!"  They're pathetic.

Mets assistant GM John Ricco says young arms could start coming into help out in the bullpen within weeks (read:  when the Super Two status crap is over).

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/minor-arms-set-pitch-mets-article-1.1782295

Apparently, Syndergaard is not likely to come up as a bullpen guy.  His last two starts:  12.2 IP, 11 H, 1 ER, 5 BB, 15 K.  Season WHIP is a bit high (1.46).  That's where Montero (1.24) and deGrom (1.17) have him beat on the season, but Montero has been laboring as of late.  Montero has been walking guys, which is very unlike him.  His last four starts:  19 IP, 18 H, 12 ER, 12 BB, 18 K.  The 18 K looks good at a quick glance, but when you're giving up hits and walking guys to the tune of a 1.58 WHIP, the K% is a lot less impressive (this is why Wheeler's 32 K in 33.1 IP really isn't that impressive...with a 1.53 WHIP, he's also going through a lot of hitters to get his Ks). 

Anyway, almost just like that, Montero has made 23 starts for Vegas, between last season and this one.  The overall numbers:

125 IP, 115 H, 47 ER, 7 HR, 40 BB, 114 K, 3.38 ERA, 1.24 WHIP  

His previously insane control in previous levels of the minors has taken a hit, but it's still pretty good overall for Vegas, even with the recent uptick in walks.      

Vic Black has not walked a batter in his last three IP, after walking 10 in his first 9.1 IP.  It'd be nice to see him get another shot up here at some point.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Ike is 5-35 with 1 RBI since that grand slam he hit in April for Pitt. Back to being the old Ike

He's 2-for-3 today, but yeah, he hasn't been lighting it up by any stretch.  Sad that his OB+SLG is higher than David Wright's.

Mets about to be swept by the Marlins.

I'm just becoming apathetic to their awful play now. Season will continue to hit the dumps but hey, this is what happens when you put together a sh!t team. I hope we lose 90 games and Sandy gets kicked out on his ass.

Edited by nmigliore

Yea, same losses in the same stadium in the same way to the same teams. Year after year. Sandy is partially to blame since he is so inactive and disengaged, the wilpons dont give him much to spend but a lot of what he does get gets spent poorly.

It's bad enough we have 1 turner field that we have to turn Marlins Park into another

Keep the petitions coming a$$holes

Mets about to be swept by the Marlins.

I'm just becoming apathetic to their awful play now. Season will continue to hit the dumps but hey, this is what happens when you put together a sh!t team. I hope we lose 90 games and Sandy gets kicked out on his ass.

Yeah, Sandy is pretty friggin' worthless.  I think he pretty much wants to be kicked out on his ass at this point. 

fvck the Wilpons. 

Marlins now have 7 walk off wins against the mets in their last 22 games at home against us. I'm sure that's some sort of record

Mets are now 4-12 at Marlins Park in our last 16, which is astounding considering how bad Florida has been of late

Small positive time:

David Wright is on a 6-game hitting streak (10-for-26), hitting .385.  4 doubles too. 

Check out his projection numbers and they're baffling to look at.  Some of them are pretty bad.    

Just hope he starts hitting some home runs soon...it's insane that he only has one to this point. 

Great article by Mike Vaccaro on the state of the Mets:

http://nypost.com/2014/05/07/blame-these-mets-losses-on-the-fools-who-left-cupboard-bare/

Basically shreds the payroll ($86 million) and the front-office decision-makers.  And the stupidity behind the letters of course.   

Quintanilla was DFA'd, Flores coming up. 

Bet the SS job will be his shortly. It will probably be a disaster -- he hasn't shown anything in the Majors, granted it's a really small sample, and with Murphy will form one of the worst defensive middle-infield duos in the league -- but Tejada has been a complete train wreck, again. He's actually hitting worse than he did last season and is at .197/.272/.245 since the start of 2013. 

Thanks again Sandy!

Edited by nmigliore

nmig, here is the "good news" (as good as it can be under the circumstances):

Tejada, Quintanilla, and Flores should be 100% out of the picture by 2015.  Tejada is predictably playing himself out of NY...yes, last season should've accomplished that, but even a zilch like Sandy can see that he can't be on the team next season.  Quintanilla is what he is. 

The one positive about Flores coming up is that he should put to rest that he's some "ace in the hole", re:  the SS position.  He will be a disaster in the field and that will be that.  My guess is he'll be a throw-in in an offseason deal.

Mets should have a new SS in 2015...hopefully, he's not a bargain-bin stopgap (but I wouldn't be surprised if he was). 

Tough one for deGrom yesterday:  5 HP, 10 H, 4 ER, 1 K. 

Numbers in his last four:  20.1 IP, 29 H (ouch), 10 ER, 6 BB, 14 K. 

I try not to go too crazy re:  PLC numbers...as we know, both pitching and hitting numbers get bloated there, which is why I don't like the idea of pitching prospects (and deGrom is just starting to get a little long in the tooth, as far as being a prospect goes) staying in Vegas for too long. 

deGrom gave up hits in Binghamton too, so it's not like he's ever really been great in that regard.  Since the beginning of 2013, his minor league numbers:  186 IP, 207 H, 56 BB, 149 K, 1.41 WHIP.  I know he's a prospect, and the sooner he gets out of Vegas and is pitching for the Mets, the better, but he's probably not going to be anything terribly special.  If he becomes a nice bullpen guy, I'd happily take it.   

Yea the D at short will likely be pretty bad...but hey at least with Flores it won't be like having two pitchers in the lineup (btw...can our pitchers get like A HIT? I mean even by accident?)

Flores at least has some pop. If he can come here and deliver .250 (heck even .240) with the occasional double and home run then he will smash Tejada's production

Yea the D at short will likely be pretty bad...but hey at least with Flores it won't be like having two pitchers in the lineup (btw...can our pitchers get like A HIT? I mean even by accident?)

Flores at least has some pop. If he can come here and deliver .250 (heck even .240) with the occasional double and home run then he will smash Tejada's production

Flores needs to be a top offensive SS to be in the lineup, and even that probably isn't enough.  He can't play the position...it's not that he's a bad SS, it's that he's not a SS, period.  It's sad, but within a week or two we're going to be screaming for a Quintanilla-type, a guy who at least can give you some level of defense at the position.  Having a SS who can't field on a team that needs to keep runs down to win is a recipe for disaster. 

Flores isn't anything close to a real solution...he's just a different problem than what we've seen to date.     

Mets have some groundball starters that will suffer with Flores/Murphy up the middle: Wheeler, Mejia, Niese. All of these guys have a groundball percentage between 45% and 52% this season. Even Gee is at 42% himself (and 45% career). Colon is the closest thing to a flyball-pitcher in this rotation. 

Edited by nmigliore