45 replies to this topic

#1 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:00 AM

Typical late bloomer - 29 years old. His development in the last few years is remarkable and he's by far the best goaltender in the SEL. He was the World Championships MVP last year with a 1.71 GAA in 7 games and .946 SV%.

http://www.elitepros...php?player=5147

He would've left for the NHL last year but his demand is a one-way contract. The Devils could give him this. I suppose a lot hinges on Marty's decision but they still could have Marty for another year and bring in Fasth.

What do you guys think? He could turn out to be a steal and he still has many years left.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#2 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:15 AM

Agree with this. Most likely a steal.
Posted Image

#3 Dadds

Dadds

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

he could turn into the next tim tomas
"I think I'm going to become a Devils fan so they start never winning again." A sad flyers fan

"**** this. NJ might as well be allowed to build a brick wall in front of the net and let Marty sit on the bench. Would be no difference" A sad penguins fan

#4 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

There's a definitely a bit of a goalie shortage around the NHL, so hopefully someone signs this guy. I don't want it to be NJ, though.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#5 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

I'll stick on the Ari Ahonen bandwagon
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#6 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

1 way contract is a bit of a gamble on an unknown quantity like Fasth. I don't think Lou "River Boat Gambler" Lamoriello would ever take this type of a chance, especially if Marty returns for another season.
Posted Image

#7 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

There's a definitely a bit of a goalie shortage around the NHL, so hopefully someone signs this guy. I don't want it to be NJ, though.

Any reason why not? At this stage, we probably have 0 goalies for next year. Even if we sign him on a one-way in a backup capacity, it would be a worthwhile gamble based on his numbers. I'm sure he can't be demanding that much money yet.

We've seen goalies come out of nowhere before with Thomas, Lundqvist and others. It certainly seems like he should be able to be good in the NHL, and I'd hate to see another team steal him when we need a goalie badly.

Edited by Amberite, 13 February 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#8 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,421 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

And he could also be the next Gustavsson, come in with a ton of hype and do nothing.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#9 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

Or, the next Roman Chechmanek or Jiri Dopita...(sigh).

#10 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Any reason why not? At this stage, we probably have 0 goalies for next year. Even if we sign him on a one-way in a backup capacity, it would be a worthwhile gamble based on his numbers. I'm sure he can't be demanding that much money yet.

We've seen goalies come out of nowhere before with Thomas, Lundqvist and others. It certainly seems like he should be able to be good in the NHL, and I'd hate to see another team steal him when we need a goalie badly.

The Queen was approx. 22 when he entered the NHL, and was a Rangers draft pick. Thomas is a once in a lifetime phenomenon. To me, the more applicable examples are Jonas Gustafson (sp?) and Fabian Brunnstrom. Every now and then you hit a home run like we did with Rafalski. However, since these are so rare, you almost have to protect yourself with a 2 way contract.

Edited by Chuck the Duck, 13 February 2012 - 11:52 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

Brodeur says he's leaning towards coming back. I don't want the Devils to get a guy who could A: flop horribly in general or B: easily be pushed aside if he has 3 bad games leaving Brodeur to get the bulk of the starts. I want them to get someone who they're paying a decent chunk of money to, and who has an NHL track record.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#12 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

The Queen was approx. 22 when he entered the NHL, and was a Rangers draft pick. Thomas is a once in a lifetime phenomenon. To me, the more applicable examples are Jonas Gustafson (sp?) and Fabian Brunnstrom. Every now and then you hit a home run like we did with Rafalski. However, since these are so rare, you almost have to protect yourself with a 2 way contract.

Lundqvist was a 7th round pick who wasn't expected to go anywhere. Lundqvist and the Rangers said many times that when he came to training camp, they expected him to be sent back during the first round of cuts. For all intents and purposes, he came out of nowhere. Just because he was drafted means nothing.

But otherwise, I completely agree that the chances are very slim. However, in our situation, I think it's a worthwhile gamble to try on a guy like this.

Edited by Amberite, 13 February 2012 - 12:19 PM.

#13 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

Quick or Rinne!!!!!!!!

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#14 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,848 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

Quick or Rinne!!!!!!!!

How? At least we have a shot of signing this guy, although a one way is probably too risky, especially if he wants a good chunk of money.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#15 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

How? At least we have a shot of signing this guy, although a one way is probably too risky, especially if he wants a good chunk of money.

just wishful thinking

#16 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,421 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

Besides, Nashville re-signed Rinne already.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#17 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

Needs moar Jonathan Bernier.

Edited by TheMazz, 13 February 2012 - 04:53 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#18 swingminx

swingminx

Draft Pick

• Pond Hockey
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

I have seen Fasth alot here in sweden and i like him alot!
He took AIK to the semi-finals almost by himself last year.
Would like to see him as a back-up to Brodeur next season,and then i think we can have our new starter goalie :)

#19 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

I have seen Fasth alot here in sweden and i like him alot!
He took AIK to the semi-finals almost by himself last year.
Would like to see him as a back-up to Brodeur next season,and then i think we can have our new starter goalie :)

I like that

#20 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:41 AM

Lundqvist was perhaps not considered much when he was drafted, but his three seasons leading up to his post-lockout debut were great. In the lockout season where the SEL was littered with quality players and the hockey was great, he put up insane numbers (1.05GAA in the playoffs!? .962 SV%). Seeing Lundqvist as a super-outside shot at the NHL doesn't make sense to me at all, nor did it at the time. He did play for my favourite team here in Sweden and I saw him play a lot.

Gustavsson in my opinion had some terrible luck: playing behind that defense, multiple heart procedures and of course playing in Toronto which isn't exactly New Jersey. In terms of performance in the SEL he and Fasth are comparable but I think that's where the comparisons should end due to aforemention circumstances, plus the fact that the pressure in Toronto is immense and he was hyped as hell. I don't think Fasth would see the same pressure and hype should he sign here.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users