New COACH THREAD!

HellOnICE

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see Robinson coaching again. Could be a number of candidates. MacLean, Haviland, Stevens, Renney, MacTavish, Keenan, so on... Also, if we're serious about getting Kovy back, don't be surprised to hear John Anderson's name floating around, too.

No doubt: A very hardy Newark welcome to our new coach: Barry Melrose.

NO! PLEASE GOD NO!!!!!!!!

I’m not too sure about MacLean. He did get Lowell into the playoffs for the first time in like 10 years, but they were also a first round-out too. Still not sure it’s his time yet. Perhaps Robinson steps up with Stevens as an official assistant? And what will come of Mario Trembley?

robinson being a coach of the devils is worse than lemaire.

tremblay will obviously be out as well, imo.

maclean seems to have done excellent work with the power play down in lowell, i can't find power play efficiency anywhere but he did real well - 73 power play goals this season, up from 57 a year ago. i don't want a retread coach, either.

That's probably what it will come down to, if you believe the Jimmy Leeds rumor Haviland was the second choice last year. But does Lou feel that Johnny Mac showed enough in the one year to make him the head coach now? As far as Stevens, sorry - being a quasi-assistant for one year and a consultant for a few doesn't mean you've paid the dues to be a head coach.

Edited by NJDevs26

I don't like the idea of MacLean. I just don't think he's the right fit for this team's situation.

I like the idea of Haviland -- outside the organization completely and presumably brings in an offensive focus instead of an offensive offense.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Hitchcock get his shot here.

we need a jellyjar coach.

So...... Lou? haha

I think there's a number of decent options available. My top two would be MacLean or Haviland. I wouldn't even be upset if somehow Stevens got it, but I don't know if he's ready to be a head coach, yet. I'd love to see him as an assistant, though.

If it isn't MacLean's time now, it never will be, and he should get the heck out of this organization. MacLean is ready. Years of NHL coaching experience and now head coaching experience.

i hope so, have him leave the organization and go elsewhere, he's useless and a bait for you fan boys to go to every time we need a new coach.

By the way, things have truly come "full circle" in our coaching carousel:

Lemaire -> Ftorek -> Robinson -> Constantine -> Burns -> Robinson -> Lamoriello -> Julien -> Lamoriello -> Sutter -> Lemaire

I don't see Robinson coaching again. Could be a number of candidates. MacLean, Haviland, Stevens, Renney, MacTavish, Keenan, so on... Also, if we're serious about getting Kovy back, don't be surprised to hear John Anderson's name floating around, too.

I agree, I don't think Larry comes back in a HC capacity. I am intrigued about Renney, who turned the AHL quality Rangers into a playoff team.

Would love Renney, with Stevens and Robinson as Assistants.

Kovy is gone, lets not waste time on him.

Edited by MantaRay

If it isn't MacLean's time now, it never will be, and he should get the heck out of this organization. MacLean is ready. Years of NHL coaching experience and now head coaching experience.

this would be fine, since i don't think maclean is some great coach. while i think he's the most likely head coach, i don't like the fact that maclean as a player was successful with a jason blake style strategy. i've found that coaches across sports tend to overvalue what made them successful as a professional.