EQF Game 1 - Playoff GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Florida Panthers

Steven M.

Yes, the Panthers are not good. But the Lightning team New Jersey played in 2007 was worse. And the Devils aren't that great themselves. They are not going to blow out the Panthers - that's not the expectation. Wins are wins, the Devils locked it down in the 3rd and didn't play all that poorly in the 2nd (barely had the puck but weren't giving up a ton of scoring chances).

I see nothing untrue about this statement. +1

For all the bitching that goes on around here, the Devils just played a hell of a third period. Calmed things down nicely.

They did what they had to do in the third period, although I'm still not a fan of playing prevent offense on late power plays, especially with a one-goal lead. Not that I can really blame DeBoer after our 'shorthanded disease' earlier in the season.

It was basically three different games...the first twenty-five minutes was domination, the next fifteen was nearly an utter disaster and the final twenty was how you want to see a team play with a one-goal lead on the road. Thankfully Marty only really had to do a lot late in the second period, and the team clamped down otherwise this could have been a make the boys walk back to the hotel type of loss.

I thought it was a hell of a third period under the circumstances...the Devils were saved a bit by the bell in the second, but they did what they had to, even if it wasn't highlight-reel stuff. And I agree about the 60 minute crap...fanspeak nonsense.

Saved by the bell is a good way to put it, if that second period was two minutes longer we might still be watching the game, or be having very different thoughts on the team.

Okay, great. Except that the Panthers really aren't that bad. I'm sure a 6 day layoff could have something to do with it and I don't think we'll see a stretch like that again in the series for either team.

The Devils had that same break and came out like caged beasts in the first. They were never going to keep up that kind of domination, 26 shots against any team, much less in a playoff game is unreal. But they do need to get a LOT more from Zach and Kovy going forward, among other things.

Edited by NJDevs4978

They did what they had to do in the third period, although I'm still not a fan of playing prevent offense on late power plays, especially with a one-goal lead. Not that I can really blame DeBoer after our 'shorthanded disease' earlier in the season.

It was basically three different games...the first twenty-five minutes was domination, the next fifteen was nearly an utter disaster and the final twenty was how you want to see a team play with a one-goal lead on the road. Thankfully Marty only really had to do a lot late in the second period, and the team clamped down otherwise this could have been a make the boys walk back to the hotel type of loss.

I'm just happy they won. If they had blown this one, I'd be replacing my TV.

I thought it was a hell of a third period under the circumstances...the Devils were saved a bit by the bell in the second, but they did what they had to, even if it wasn't highlight-reel stuff. And I agree about the 60 minute crap...fanspeak nonsense.

Fanspeak nonsense? Daneyko mentioned it in the post game about the devils and playing 60 mins. Players and coaches prech it. Maybe its nonsense to those who don't know the meaning and flippantly dismiss it but its a term used to gauge effort and concentration level. This term has been used in hockey for decades. Its not fanspeak.

Fanspeak nonsense? Daneyko mentioned it in the post game about the devils and playing 60 mins. Players and coaches prech it. Maybe its nonsense to those who don't know the meaning and flippantly dismiss it but its a term used to gauge effort and concentration level. This term has been used in hockey for decades. Its not fanspeak.

And how do we know they weren't trying and concentrating? Most teams automatically play 60 minutes, but the term, as it is used by many fans and commentators, ignores the natural ebbs and flows that inevitably happen during a hockey game, especially one played between relatively evenly matched teams.

and the good news is our fisrt line didnt score tonight and we still won...

It just a matter of time before Kovalchuk a parise score goals

Is it really? Zach hasn't been good at all other than one series against a bad Tampa team when he wasn't even the go-to guy yet and Kovy hasn't done much in the postseason other than a five-on-three goal and an empty-netter against the Flyers. Not to mention they've been streaky at best playing on the same line with each other.

We might be able to beat Florida without them, but they WILL have to come through eventually, either this series or the next.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Is it really? Zach hasn't been good at all other than one series against a bad Tampa team when he wasn't even the go-to guy yet and Kovy hasn't done much in the postseason other than a five-on-three goal and an empty-netter against the Flyers. Not to mention they've been streaky at best playing on the same line with each other.

We might be able to beat Florida without them, but they WILL have to come through eventually, either this series or the next.

they are playing against top pairing, and in my opinion, florida's D isnt bad.

And how do we know they weren't trying and concentrating? Most teams automatically play 60 minutes, but the term, as it is used by many fans and commentators, ignores the natural ebbs and flows that inevitably happen during a hockey game, especially one played between relatively evenly matched teams.

Its a cliche but its preached on every team and I think there's lot of matter to it The devils tend to lose focus and become their own worst enemies and its not of the games natural ebb and flow. Give the other team as much credit as you want but the devils do tend to let teams back in games often enough that you can't keep giving credit to other teams. Its overlooking how its happening and why its also an easy excuse or answer. Imo the devils aren't relatively even matched with florida I don't think that's accurate. Florida is a 8th seed disguised as a 3rd.

Overall, there is a lot to be happy about regarding tonight's outcome. Sure, it would have been nice if the Devils won 5-0, but at least we're not sitting here scratching our heads like the Penguin fans are doing tonight. In short, let's be thankful for a Devils win ... for at least the next 5 minutes. Then we can start the whole glass-is-half-empty thing.