New Restaurant on Edison!

newarkdev01

Last I heard, a wine bar and an Irish pub in the building next to it but that was a while ago. Newarkdevil1 has heard more than I have.

So it's gonna be a ale house on the 1rst floor of the building and it's connected with the people running brick city bar and grill. The second floor is reserved for expansion for two restaurants, the ale house and the bar that's being built on the old gargage site. The city's building department nixed the windows facing out to the plaza (massively stupid). The part that has me interested is the 3rd spot (former calabash building) as Levy has started work on it but I think he has to go residential with at least a part of that.

So it's gonna be a ale house on the 1rst floor of the building and it's connected with the people running brick city bar and grill. The second floor is reserved for expansion for two restaurants, the ale house and the bar that's being built on the old gargage site. The city's building department nixed the windows facing out to the plaza (massively stupid). The part that has me interested is the 3rd spot (former calabash building) as Levy has started work on it but I think he has to go residential with at least a part of that.

Why? Thats so dumb. It would make Championship Plaza something more interesting than a plain brick walkway, it would have actually become an active place. I hope they atleast put up real brick and try to decorate it somewhat.

Thanks for filling in. A Buca di Beppo would be amazing there. This is the Columbus location directly across an entry plaza from Nationwide Arena in theArena District.Buca%20Di%20Beppo%20Exterior.JPG

A boutique hotel would be cool too. Have a small entrance on the Edison side then the main entrance on Market because I believe the Calabash building is going to connect to 218 Market. There needs to be more to the area than bar, bar, bar, bar etc. Atleast the new John's Pizzeria adds something different to the mix.

Edited by The Rock 07

A small live music venue/restaurant or a comedy club would be cool as well. As would a Lucky Strike or a Famous Dave's BBQ Blues Club

The area needs more entertainment options that would get people to come downtown. A Paramount Theater restoration would be an amazing addition as well.

Edited by The Rock 07

Ya well Levy just doesn't see the strong demand to build upwards and since he doesn't do residential I think he would have to have someone who wanted boutique office space. Either way as long as he gets bars at the base of all three the alley should be jumping. If they actually go and do the proposal of extending beaver st it would be even cooler.

• 2 weeks later...

The addition where the garage was is gaining some height. Kindof strange that its cinder block the whole way up :noclue:

Well the building is designed a bit different structurally, The existing structures and new building use the brick walls and cinderblock walls as the load bearing walls to hold the steal girders. I was a bit surprised at the offset of the building which seems like it will result in a facade that's a foot back from the existing building but whatev. I am just psyched to see the space filling out and each year we end up with new places opening up.

• 1 month later...

There's an Alcoholic Beverage Control Board sign on the building that says that the restaurant coming there will be called "Edison Ale House".

Yup that's the bar related to BCBG, next door should be a lounge assuming that works out and a few exising bars have approached Levy about moving into the former Calabash building. Then the question is who becomes the anchor bar for the former foot locker building that will become an Indgo hotel and what might move into the first building on Market...either way a win win for fans.

Why? Thats so dumb. It would make Championship Plaza something more interesting than a plain brick walkway, it would have actually become an active place. I hope they atleast put up real brick and try to decorate it somewhat.

Thanks for filling in. A Buca di Beppo would be amazing there. This is the Columbus location directly across an entry plaza from Nationwide Arena in theArena District.Buca%20Di%20Beppo%20Exterior.JPG

A boutique hotel would be cool too. Have a small entrance on the Edison side then the main entrance on Market because I believe the Calabash building is going to connect to 218 Market. There needs to be more to the area than bar, bar, bar, bar etc. Atleast the new John's Pizzeria adds something different to the mix.

I was just saying to my Dad that the best thing Newark developers could do is go to Columbus and take a look at the area around Nationwide.

• 1 month later...

I'll take a picture next time im there but they have the addition up on the side of the building. Just brick face and window framing has to go in.

I'll have to take a look next time I walk by.. It's been so cold the last few games I've been to that I just put my head down until I reach the PNC Tower.. I'm excited to see this place open up.. I just hope it doesn't have Brick City BnG prices :blink:

I'll have to take a look next time I walk by.. It's been so cold the last few games I've been to that I just put my head down until I reach the PNC Tower.. I'm excited to see this place open up.. I just hope it doesn't have Brick City BnG prices :blink:

I think it might just because they own it. I'll be at the game on the 23rd; I'll take pics then.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like a generic name. Wonder what's going in the upper floors(offices?)

The 2nd floor is divided in two, one part being a cross over for the bar going in next to the Edison Ale House (This is the building that was newly constructed on top of the old garage). The second part is space reserved for Edison Ale house. The third floor is office space for Ray levy's organization. The next part is demo going on in the building next to the parking garage that will enable Levy to lease that space. The issue with that is that Levy's doesn't do residential and the office demand doesn't seem to be there.

• 4 months later...