Hockey Community In Mourning

Weekes Head

According to TSN.ca:

Hockey community in mourning

Canadian Press

10/6/2003

The hockey community was reeling Monday from the death of Atlanta Thrashers forward Dan Snyder and particularly in Owen Sound, Ont., where Snyder was a popular player during his junior career.

``The whole community is in a state of shock and very, very sad about Dan's passing,'' Owen Sound Attack business manager Ray McKelvie said Monday. ``He was probably, if not the most popular, one of the most popular players to ever play here.''

Snyder, of Elmira, Ont., died Sunday night at the age of 25 from brain injuries he'd suffered in a car wreck on Sept. 29.

He was a passenger in a Ferrari driven by Thrashers' teammate Dany Heatley. The car crashed into a fence going 130 kilometres per hour. Both players were thrown from the car. Heatley survived and faces a charge of vehicular homicide.

Snyder underwent surgery for a skull fracture, but never emerged from his coma.

After spending parts of the last three seasons in the minors, Snyder was expected to be a regular in the Thrashers' lineup this season after he recovered from ankle surgery performed before the team's training camp in September.

``He finally arrives and the team says `go ahead and get a place, you're here, you've made the team,''' his agent Todd Reynolds said. ``During the off-season they referred to him as `one of our core guys.'

``They saw him filling that third or fourth line centre role on the club. It's just so sad.''

Snyder was a smaller forward at barely six feet and was never drafted by an NHL team. Atlanta had signed him as a free agent in 1999 at the conclusion of his junior career with the Owen Sound Platers.

``Determination or perseverance, those are the words that as far as a hockey player goes, sum up Danny Snyder,'' said Reynolds. ``He kept trying until someone said yes.''

Snyder played in 49 career NHL games with the Thrashers, scoring 11 goals and adding five assists. Ten of those goals he scored over 36 games last season.

The Thrashers' players had a previously scheduled off-day on Monday, but GM Don Waddell spoke with reporters in Atlanta at a news conference.

``You've got to remember the good things that Dan Snyder meant to this hockey club,'' said Waddell. ``He was a true battler.

``He had to work his way into the lineup to play at the minor-league level. When he came here last year, the second half of the year, he proved he was ready to be an NHL player.

``He wasn't the most skilled guy in the world. He did it by his pure determination and commitment and hard work in the game.''

Snyder's passing was felt throughout the NHL.

``We were all pulling for him, even if he couldn't play hockey again, just to be able to live his everyday life,'' Montreal Canadiens forward Chad Kilger said.

``You feel sorry for everyone involved. You just hope his family is able to cope with things.''

Calgary Flames defenceman Robyn Regehr broke his legs in a head-on collision in 1999. Two people in a car that veered into his lane were killed.

``It's very unfortunate Danny Snyder passed away,'' said Regehr. ``I wish all the best wishes in the world for Dan Snyder's family. They're going through a very, very difficult time right now.

``And likewise with Dany Heatley. I know for a fact that no one feels worse than he does right now.''

Snyder helped the International Hockey League's Orlando Solar Bears and the American Hockey League's Chicago Wolves win league championships in 2001 and 2002 respectively.

With the Owen Sound Platers from 1995 to 1999, Snyder made a major impact in the city with both his on-ice play and his off-ice work in the community. The Platers had taken him in the seventh round of the OHL draft.

``When he came here in 1995 as a scrawny 16-year-old, he was just so full of determination,'' said McKelvie. ``He said he was going to make the hockey team and he did.

``He became our captain and our team leader on and off the ice. He led us in '98-99 to the final four. That was his last year as captain and I'm sure if he'd been running for mayor he would have won hands down.''

The Ontario Hockey League team, now called the Attack, wore Snyder's No. 14 on their helmets in games Friday and Saturday.

``There will wear 14 not only on the helmets, but they're getting the 14 put on crests for the sweaters as well,'' said McKelvie, who has been with the franchise since its inception in 1989.

At Saturday's game in Owen Sound, fans signed a best-wishes banner for Snyder.

``You should see it. It's a big banner and it's just completely full of signatures,'' said McKelvie. ``We were going to send to Atlanta. I guess we won't now, of course. I think we'll certainly give it to the family.''

McKelvie said Snyder had a magnetism that made his teammates sit up and listen.

``He wasn't a big man. I never saw a player have such control over the dressing room and his teammates. When he spoke, everybody listened. He was such a leader.''

Snyder was Owen Sound's nominee for the OHL's humanitarian award his last two seasons there. Snyder particularly enjoyed going to schools and talking to children, said McKelvie.

``He was a young man who came into the Ontario Hockey League without a great deal of fanfare, but through hard work and perseverance was team captain and one of the best players if not the best player on the Owen Sound team for his last two years,'' OHL commissioner David Branch said. ``His last two years he was humanitarian of the year for the Owen Sound franchise which spoke to his giving nature and support of community activities.''

Snyder is survived by his father Graham, mother Luanne, brother Jake and sister Erica. The funeral will be held on Friday in Elmira at 1 p.m. and Waddell said the entire Thrashers' team would attend.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=56351&hubName=nhl

I can't believe how upset this story made me....I didn't even know who Dan Snyder was before all of this, but it's such a sad, horrific story. I feel awful, not only for his family who must be so overcome with grief, but also for Dany Heatly, who at such a young age must live with this guilt for the rest of his life. He had such a tremendous future ahead of him. Now, not only does he have to recuperate from his own injuries, but mentally, he most likely will never be able to regain that same confidence he used to play with. I guess what makes me angry the most is because this was all as a result of speeding and reckless driving. Simply, this could all have been avoided. It's a sad day for hockey, but I certainly hope that some eyes have been opened and people become more responsible with their vehicles. My deepest sympathy to all involved.

I was thinking about this today . . .

Three of Snyder's ten NHL goals were against Marty Brodeur. He scored the first goal of the game in a 4-2 Thrasher win against the Devils on February 7th, 2003. All eyes were on Heatley though who was coming off a nice All-Star game. Then Snyder celebrated his first two-goal game in an Atlanta 3-2 win on March 11th, 2003. If you were at those Devils' games at CAA you were fortunate to witness Snyder achieving his dream.

I'm still in shock. I also hope they celebrate his memory in some way on opening night.

I was thinking about this today . . .

Three of Snyder's ten NHL goals were against Marty Brodeur. He scored the first goal of the game in a 4-2 Thrasher win against the Devils on February 7th, 2003. All eyes were on Heatley though who was coming off a nice All-Star game. Then Snyder celebrated his first two-goal game in an Atlanta 3-2 win on March 11th, 2003. If you were at those Devils' games at CAA you were fortunate to witness Snyder achieving his dream.

I'm still in shock. I also hope they celebrate his memory in some way on opening night.

I was thinking of wearing a #37 pin or something to the home opener, or maybe tape a #37 to my crutches, something to that affect...I definitely want to do something, I just don't know what yet.