N.F.L Week 10

CRASHER

The funny thing, not for NE fans, is that they got the first down. Even though he bobbled the ball, he gained position at the first down line and forward progress should have given them the first down.

Now could NE challenge if they had timeouts, or once it hits two minutes no challenges can be made?

I thought they got the first down too, however, it goes a little ways to "evening out" all the calls going NE's way over the last near decade.

I've also never been sold on Belichek being that good of a coach, he's renowned for burning/blowing timeouts early in games, only for it to burn his a$$ later, tonight was a perfect example.

The only way that fourth down play is reviewed is from the booth inside 2 mins.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks...I had just finished watching Curb and hadn't seen all of the second half. I was just thinking. If you are Belichek, and you don't trust your defense (or maybe you trust your offense a little too much), why not put 8 in the box and let Manning try and beat them with the pass, or let the Colts just score with a 1:20 left and have the Patriots have 80 seconds to gain 35-40 yards to kick a field goal?

You just knew the Colts were scoring anyway...

letting the colts score was probably the right decision when addai almost got it. once he's stopped though, trying to stop them makes sense.

I thought they got the first down too, however, it goes a little ways to "evening out" all the calls going NE's way over the last near decade.

I've also never been sold on Belichek being that good of a coach, he's renowned for burning/blowing timeouts early in games, only for it to burn his a$$ later, tonight was a perfect example.

The only way that fourth down play is reviewed is from the booth inside 2 mins.

no, you're incorrect, the play started before 2 minutes and was thus subject to challenge. belichick was out of timeouts.

belichick is obviously one of the best coaches and he at least has sins of commission, rather than omission. very few coaches would've even considered going for it there when going for it may be the right decision. the reason they wouldn't've considered it is because for most of them, if that play fails and the team goes on to miss the playoffs, they are a lock to get fired. nfl coaches and players are absurdly conservative.

Edited by Triumph

I cant fault belichek for going for it there. The defense was gassed and the Colts showed it on the previous drive. To me the goat of the game is good for nothing Maroney. I'd trade this guy for a cheeseburger and some fries at this point. The guy is just awful and he is what makes going for it on 4th down an even harder call because you know we can't run it with him.

I can't get on Belichek, he might be an a$$ but he is a great coach and i think he made the right call. All coaches claim "they play to win the game" not all of them have the balls to do it. (see: the giants last week giving the chargers the ball back, instead of taking a chance trying to win right there)

I cant fault belichek for going for it there. The defense was gassed and the Colts showed it on the previous drive. To me the goat of the game is good for nothing Maroney. I'd trade this guy for a cheeseburger and some fries at this point. The guy is just awful and he is what makes going for it on 4th down an even harder call because you know we can't run it with him.

Agree 100% on Maroney...you'll probably have to give up something else if you really want cheese on your burger though. When Maroney's actually healthy, he hasn't really looked like anything more than a perfectly mediocre running back at best. I'm hoping he's not with the team next season.

Here's my problem with Belichick going for it:

1) I hated the message it sent to the defense, who, despite giving up 28 points to that point, had actually played a pretty decent game...even dominating at times. Yeah, they were likely running out of steam, but I though they deserved one more chance to stop Manning & Co. with a full field to work with. Basically after the Pats didn't get it done, Belichick in essence had to tell his defense "Well, I didn't have enough faith to think you'd stop Peyton with 70-80 yards to go, so now go out there and stop them with 30 yards to go. You can do it."

2) Giving Manning that short a field took away lot of things that could have gone wrong for his team. He'd already thrown two picks (neither really happened on great plays by the Pats...Manning's throws were off). Maybe the Colts fumble the punt...not likely, but that COULD have happened. Who knows...if the Pats actually mananged to get Peyton in a 3rd-and-long situation in Colt territory, maybe the Colts make one more mistake. The problem with the short field was that they didn't have to hurry up at all and they knew it.

I understand the brass balls "let's win this thing right now" mentality, but I thought the risks outweighed the positives...especially with it being 4th and 2 and not 4th and 1.

And if you ARE going to try something like that, make damn sure the guy is already at or over the 1st down marker. With all that's at risk you can't have a guy coming up short like that.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I'm starting to think none of these coaches are any good at time management. Of course few are worse than Andy Reid, or anyone that's coached the Jets the last ten years.

Speaking of the Jets, the worst thing about yesterday is twofold: One, for a lot of teams that would be the worst loss of the season but it barely registers in the top three for the Jets. Two, no Jet would ever have been smart enough to do what Jones-Drew did at the end. And of course Rex :rolleyes: I don't want to hear how good your team is when you can never make a play, or how good your defense is when they never get a stop when it matters most.

As far as the Pats, yeah anyone else would have been killed for doing what the weasel did. I guess he figured he'd rather trust Brady to win the game with a two-yard play instead of his defense, or Peyton losing the game.

Still, that's basically putting the game all on one play, cause you're done if you don't make it. Peyton will score and is smart enough to take the time off the clock first.

How is no one talking about this....holy sh!t I'm impressed...

that game was dead to me when Kyle Orton was hurt :P

... not to mention... how chris simms is allowed to buy tickets for an NFL game forget about stand on the sidelines BAFFLES me!!!

Last night's game basically proved that the Colts success was a product of their weak schedule and that the Patriots themselves are what's keeping the Patriots from going farther to this point. The Patriots dominated the game but left 21 points on the field with boneheaded play (Brady 1st half pick, tool Maroney's goal line fumble, settling for a 4th quarter FG) and let the Colts back in the game. Combine that with the brutal jump-ball pass interference call setting up the Colts 2nd 4th quarter TD and the 4th & 2 call basically everything the Patriots needed to go wrong did and everything the Colts needed to go right did.

There was A LOT to love about last night for the Patriots and a return trip to Indianapolis in January.

1. Offense has zero problems playing in that stadium and scoring points.

2. Rookie LT Sebastian Volimer, making is 3rd career start, ate Dwight Freeney for lunch the whole game.

3. Quick-hitter runs by backs not named Maroney killed the Colts defense the entire night.

4. Randy Moss and Wes Welker played like Randy Moss and Wes Welker

5. Peyton Manning threw more wounded duck passes than I've seen since the 03 & 04 Foxboro playoff games.

6. The Patriots defense basically shut down Dallas Clark and the Colts running game.

7. The Colts coverage special teams are terrible and Welker burned them.

All last night proved was that the AFC is still wide-open and that while the championship will probably go through Indianapolis the Colts are far from being a complete team. Question is will the Patriots, Bengals, and Steelers kill each other off (a la the Patriots-Chargers in 06) leaving Indy and easier path.

Last night's game basically proved that the Colts success was a product of their weak schedule and that the Patriots themselves are what's keeping the Patriots from going farther to this point. The Patriots dominated the game but left 21 points on the field with boneheaded play (Brady 1st half pick, tool Maroney's goal line fumble, settling for a 4th quarter FG) and let the Colts back in the game. Combine that with the brutal jump-ball pass interference call setting up the Colts 2nd 4th quarter TD and the 4th & 2 call basically everything the Patriots needed to go wrong did and everything the Colts needed to go right did.

There was A LOT to love about last night for the Patriots and a return trip to Indianapolis in January.

2. Rookie LT Sebastian Volimer, making is 3rd career start, ate Dwight Freeney for lunch the whole game.

3. Quick-hitter runs by backs not named Maroney killed the Colts defense the entire night.

5. Peyton Manning threw more wounded duck passes than I've seen since the 03 & 04 Foxboro playoff games.

6. The Patriots defense basically shut down Dallas Clark and the Colts running game.

All last night proved was that the AFC is still wide-open and that while the championship will probably go through Indianapolis the Colts are far from being a complete team. Question is will the Patriots, Bengals, and Steelers kill each other off (a la the Patriots-Chargers in 06) leaving Indy and easier path.

Interesting observation.

lmao love the maroney comment

pretty good observation, but still they did have 2 drives that took what 4 total minutes for 14 points.

ESPN reporting former Chiefs RB Larry Johnson is flying to Cincinnati to sign with the Bengals. Interesting as they do need another RB because Benson has that hip plexor injury.

Larry Johnson to sign with the Bengals.

Bengals-Johnson union imminent?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4660283

Former Kansas City Chiefs running back Larry Johnson was en route to Cincinnati on Monday and, barring a last-minute breakdown, he expects to sign with the AFC North-leading Bengals, a source familiar with the negotiations told ESPN's Michael Smith.

A deal, if consummated, is expected to be for the prorated league minimum. Coach Marvin Lewis said Monday that Johnson would be fourth on the team's depth chart at running back.

Edited by SatansDevils

I think Larry Johnson is the perfect poison pill for the Bengals. I have confidence that he will destroy the good chemistry that the Bengals seem to have these days.

...still have yet to figure out why good teams do that. The Broncos go 6-0 with the team they started the season with... sign Ty Law... and have gone 0-3 since the acquisition.

If it aint broke... don't fix it!

The Fins barely survived, but I'll take it... wins are hard to come by in the NFL, so any win is a good win. What I fvcking hate is we play in one of these dumb-ass Thursday night games next. It figures the Devils are playing at the exact same time too... I hate it when the Devils and Fins are both playing at the same time.

The Fins barely survived, but I'll take it... wins are hard to come by in the NFL, so any win is a good win. What I fvcking hate is we play in one of these dumb-ass Thursday night games next. It figures the Devils are playing at the exact same time too... I hate it when the Devils and Fins are both playing at the same time.

Should be an interesting game. One of our team's will still be in the hunt, while the other will be out of it.

As for for "the call" last night. I found this today:

With 2:00 left and the Colts with only one timeout, a successful conversion wins the game for all practical purposes. A 4th and 2 conversion would be successful 60% of the time. Historically, in a situation with 2:00 left and needing a TD to either win or tie, teams get the TD 53% of the time from that field position. The total WP (winning percentage) for the 4th down conversion attempt would therefore be:

(0.60 * 1) + (0.40 * (1-0.53)) = 0.79 WP

A punt from the 28 typically nets 38 yards, starting the Colts at their own 34. Teams historically get the TD 30% of the time in that situation. So the punt gives the Pats about a 0.70 WP.

Statistically, the better decision would be to go for it, and by a good amount. However, these numbers are baselines for the league as a whole. You

Should be an interesting game. One of our team's will still be in the hunt, while the other will be out of it.

Carolina has been playing much better and we are most likely not gonna have Ronnie Brown... this is gonna be a tough game on the road for us. Your two RB's scare the sh!t outta me bro... best 1-2 punch in the league along with R&R.

Edited by MadDog2020

Wow. Cleveland is such a horrible team, I actually felt guilty beating them last night. Aside from there D-line there is nothing resembling an NFL team.

How do you expect to score points when your QB can't throw more than 5 yards? Do they feel that insecure about Quinn that they don't want to expose him as more than a POP WARNER quality QB????