Unfortunately, some more bad news in Devils-land / Marty

msweet

I know they are saying Marty is day-day... But I have a pretty good source that says he has some serious back issue resulting in his hand being numb right now.

He's going to be out a while.

...and don't ask the source please and no it is NOT Zubrus... He's 100% a follower of the team rules.

Not surprising. As soon as he got hurt and the Devils started with their 'day-to-day' sh!t, I knew he'd be out a while. Just like Stevens had "the flu". Right.

If this has any truth I seriously hope PDB/Lou aren't going to ride Hedberg into the ground.

I think Lou needs to trade for a goalie if this is really serious. I love Moose, but he can't shoulder the load by himself. Edited by MadDog2020

Not surprising. As soon as he got hurt and the Devils started with their 'day-to-day' sh!t, I knew he'd be out a while. Just like Stevens had "the flu". Right. I think Lou needs to trade for a goalie if this is really serious. I love Moose, but he can't shoulder the load by himself.

I know that Lou has a win now mentality but i'd be VERY cautious trading for a goalie unless it's for an established goalie who could eventually become our new starter. i wouldnt want to give away players or picks again for just a rental, not to be a downer but i don't think we can make a run like last year again, so would it be worth it ?

I know they are saying Marty is day-day... But I have a pretty good source that says he has some serious back issue resulting in his hand being numb right now.

He's going to be out a while.

...and don't ask the source please and no it is NOT Zubrus... He's 100% a follower of the team rules.

Is the source Zubrus? jk. This is not good news though. Anything being numb for more than a few days to a week is definitely worrisome.

Not surprising. As soon as he got hurt and the Devils started with their 'day-to-day' sh!t, I knew he'd be out a while. Just like Stevens had "the flu". Right. I think Lou needs to trade for a goalie if this is really serious. I love Moose, but he can't shoulder the load by himself.

I know that Lou has a win now mentality but i'd be VERY cautious trading for a goalie unless it's for an established goalie who could eventually become our new starter. i wouldnt want to give away players or picks again for just a rental, not to be a downer but i don't think we can make a run like last year again, so would it be worth it ?

I hear ya, and that's a good point. I was thinking maybe Lou should call LA about Bernier. Have Bernier and Moose split time until Marty is ready (I admit I really don't know what would happen once Marty is ready in that scenario. Probably one of the reasons I'm not an NHL GM :P). Based on msweet's info and the Devils' state secret policy with regards to injuries, I'm not expecting to see, or for that matter, hear from Marty before the playoffs. But in order to get there, we can't have Moose and Frazee/Kinkaid alternating starts. Its a tough spot for sure. And it sucks. Edited by MadDog2020

At the very least, what this may do is get Lou thinking about buying Moose out after the season in order to get a younger backup in behind Marty for next year. It's almost a sure bet a 41-year old Marty will have another injury during an 82-game schedule, and we really can't rely on a 40-year old Moose if this happens again.

face.gif

Bwahahahaha awesome. That reaction is pretty much exactly what washed over me when I read msweet's post.

Poor moose. I guess we'll either be seeing more of kinkaid or maybe even some Frazee.

If Marty is out long term, a trade is on the table. If its Bernier, we will have too many goalies soon. Looks like it's either give kinkaid another shot or see Lou has to acquire a goalie and figure out the numbers later.

Count down to Clemmensen? (Kidding but only kinda)

Not surprising when you are talking about a 40 yr old. I wouldnt be surprised if he is out for awhile.

This reinforces the need for another goalie most certainly for next season.

Time to make a deal with LA.. Bernier to NJ..

Just hope it doesnt cost a 1st rndr from this year (which i dont even think we have at this point). I wouldnt want to see us hold a draft and not draft anyone high-end. Im okay with writing this shortened season off and just retooling

Edited by devlman

Lous hands are tied for this year with a trade unless Brodeur is out for the remainder and you IR him. Hedberg has a NTC I believe and probably would not waive and I doubt he is wanted anyway. Waiving him mid season might cause issues in the locker room even though at this point that should be the last concern.

Hedberg should though be approached in the offseason about retiring or a buyout and then waiving him. If Lou doesnt he should step aside because then its clear hes gone off the reservation.

So Marty's out till Easter if we're lucky, Moose is persona non grata in his own building and they don't want to give anyone else a try.  Wonderful.  And we still need another scoring winger.

At this rate we'll be sellers and not buyers at the deadline.

Just hope it doesnt cost a 1st rndr from this year (which i dont even think we have at this point). I wouldnt want to see us hold a draft and not draft anyone high-end. Im okay with writing this shortened season off and just retooling

Unless it's Luongo which would cause major contract issues, there's no goalie in the market worth throwing away a high pick(s) on this year.  Especially when you have other issues that will never get addressed if you use your last remaining resources to get a goalie.

The board goes nuts with the bi-polar love-hate thing with Lou. One day he makes a trade for Loki for only a 5th and the man's a genius, unmatched in his cleverness in professional sports. Then we lose a few games and claim a guy who with or without him isn't gonna make that much of a difference and it's all, HE'S NUTS, FIRE HIM, HOW COME HE ISN'T TRYING TO CLAIM SCORING WINGERS ON WAIVERS, LOU SUCKS!!!!

Everybody, collectively get your panties out of the bunch they're in under your a$$hole and relax. Lou isn't stupid, we have a couple options. We're still in playoff race, so why in the hell would we make a panic move while everyone knows we're at a position of weakness. No, don't trade then, remember when we were .500 in December last year. Did we make trades then? No, we waited until we didn't need to make a trade, did and got better value from it.

You trade not when you need to, but when you can get a good return. That's the way Lou does it. He's not gonna waste Tallinder, a pick, a prospect, whoever if we're gonna get crap back for them because teams know we're desperate. Lou knows that missing the playoffs this season is less important than not handicapping the team for the next 3 years because it took Tallinder and a 1st to get anything of worth back.

no but if they throw Janssen in i can't see La not taking it.

If not, Teddy will be enough to put the deal over the top, lol.

Edited by ATLL765

Brodeur’s recovery from back injury taking longer than expected, but Devils insist no setback

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/brodeurs_recovery_from_back_injury_taking_longer_than_expected_but_devils_insist_no_setback/

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello insists that goaltender Martin Brodeur has not had a setback in his recovery from his back injury, but admitted that the process is longer than they expected when the 40-year-old future Hall of Famer pulled himself out of a start on Feb. 24 against Winnipeg when his back tightened up on him in warm-ups.

“It’s the back. You don’t know,” Lamoriello said this afternoon. “It’s a little longer than we thought, but has he had a setback? No, he has not had a setback. It just hasn’t come as quickly and we’re going to make sure it’s perfect.”

Frazee will start a few games, hence while he was called up instead of keeping Kinkaid up here.  I wouldn't expect Marty back at a 100% for at least 20 to 30 days (depending on the nature of the injury).  If it's something to do with herniated discs/slipped discs etc, he could be out for the season.

The board goes nuts with the bi-polar love-hate thing with Lou. One day he makes a trade for Loki for only a 5th and the man's a genius, unmatched in his cleverness in professional sports. Then we lose a few games and claim a guy who with or without him isn't gonna make that much of a difference and it's all, HE'S NUTS, FIRE HIM, HOW COME HE ISN'T TRYING TO CLAIM SCORING WINGERS ON WAIVERS, LOU SUCKS!!!!

Everybody, collectively get your panties out of the bunch they're in under your a$$hole and relax. Lou isn't stupid, we have a couple options. We're still in playoff race, so why in the hell would we make a panic move while everyone knows we're at a position of weakness. No, don't trade then, remember when we were .500 in December last year. Did we make trades then? No, we waited until we didn't need to make a trade, did and got better value from it.

You trade not when you need to, but when you can get a good return. That's the way Lou does it. He's not gonna waste Tallinder, a pick, a prospect, whoever if we're gonna get crap back for them because teams know we're desperate. Lou knows that missing the playoffs this season is less important than not handicapping the team for the next 3 years because it took Tallinder and a 1st to get anything of worth back.

great post. i completely agree