New Playoff Format/Divisions

MadDog2020

I figured I'd start a thread on this since things are a little slow right now while we wait for Lou to fill out the roster in the wake of the Kovalchuk debacle. I also started it because I have no fvcking idea how this stupid system is supposed to work, and I was hoping someone would be able to explain it. This can be the thread that kind of educates everyone on what to look for as far as playoff seeding will go, and to discuss all of the changes division and playoff-wise next year. That said, let's have at it.

to make it clear.

• 2 divisions in each conference 

• 2 divisions of 7 teams in the West and 2 divisions of 8 teams in the East

• Top 3 teams in each division will make the playoffs so thats 12 teams

• The last 4 teams getting in will be the "wild-card teams". The 2 next teams with the most points in the conference will get in too.

• Matchups will be the winner of the division with the most points will play the wild-card team with the less points... etc etc.

• The teams finishing 2nd and 3rd in each division will play in the first round then the winners of each series will play for berths in the conference championship series

•  so within your divison youre playing 5 games against 2 teams and 4 games against 5 teams.

so basically our division is Devils, Rangers, Islanders, Flyers, Washington, Columbus, Carolina and Pittsburgh. So we'll have to be in the top 3 on that conference or be the best wild-cards... Not gonna be easy but lets hope some teams sh!t the bed it could help.

edit: oh and yeah with the new schedule we're playing every teams in the league twice i believe. A home and home against all teams.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

20 playoff teams? Or, is it 4 teams combined for the east and west for the WC?

No, there are still 16 playoff teams, 8 from each conference. Even though the West has only 14 teams and the East has 16 teams, each conference is still sending 8 teams to the playoffs. The weird part for me, or the part I like the least, is that once the playoff matches are drawn up (seeds 1-4 in each division), those teams remain in that "bracket pool" until the conference finals. So if the best three teams are in our division, for example, those teams will have to battle it out just to get to the conference finals. And because there is no re-seeding like the previous set up, there could theoretically be a lot of crazy-hard matchups from the get-go. In short, if the top two teams happen to come from one division, there's zero chance of those two teams playing in the conference championship.

Here's how I understand it:

The three best teams from each division make it (Let's say from the east it's Devils/Rangers/Penguins from our division, and Maple Leafs/Canadiens/Bruins from the other). Then, the two best teams from each conference, regardless of division, make it as wild card teams (So you can have a team from each - say Flyers and Panthers - or two from the same division - say Flyers and Blue Jackets).

So in the east, let's say five teams from our division make it and three from the other:

Devils

Rangers

Penguins

Flyers

Blue Jackets

Maple Leafs

Canadiens

Bruins

The division winner with the most posts gets the wild card team with the fewest. So lets say in this scenario the Maple Leafs finish first in the East and the Devils second, and the Blue Jackets sneak into the playoffs as the 8th seed:

Devils
Rangers

Penguins

Flyers

Maple Leafs

Canadiens

Bruins

Blue Jackets

Those two groups of four then play the first round of the playoffs - 1vs4, 2vs3. Winners play each other in round two. Winners of the second rounds then play each other in the conference finals, winners there play for the Cup.

As an example, round 1 might be:

Devils

Flyers

Rangers

Penguins

Maple Leafs

Blue Jackets

Canadiens

Bruins

Making round 2:

Devils

Rangers

Blue Jackets

Bruins

Conference finals then become Devils/Bruins, and so on.

The plus sides to this are divisional matchups for the most part in the first two rounds (except if you have a division with five teams making it, in which one of the bottom two teams will be kicked to the other "division playoff" bracket).  Less travel for playoff teams because it's all divisional based.

The downsides are you could have a team from the other division winning your "division playoff" (if they make a deal of it or not). No way you can get something like a Devils/Rangers or Devils/Flyers ECF unless one of the two teams is kicked to the other division because of the reasons mentioned above and then get through the first two rounds).

• Like 1

It's not particularly fair. But it's a two-year experiment, and I imagine the NHL was thinking that by the time it's up, they'll have two more teams to slot into the west in Seattle and perhaps a Kansas City type market.

I think they've kind of glossed over the fan reaction to the unbalanced divisions, but at the same time - the teams approved it, so...

Thought I read earlier somewhere Detroit was moving to the EC, still don't get that one though..still confused..

They wanted more game in their time zone. Because they were east they were playing later even home so i assumed it was hurting attendance a bit

Have NHL teams in years past ever had split squad pre-season games? I was taking a look at the Islanders pre-season schedule and it says they have split squad games against the Senators. We play the Isles 9/19 at Pru Center which will probably be our first home pre-season game.

Devils usually don't but then again historically they do not travel far for their preseason games (usually they only play the Isles, Rags and Flyers).

However there may be a possiblity as the Devils are playing Montreal on 9/23/13 in Montreal.

Devils usually don't but then again historically they do not travel far for their preseason games (usually they only play the Isles, Rags and Flyers).

However there may be a possiblity as the Devils are playing Montreal on 9/23/13 in Montreal.

I think we've played Montreal in years past. Isles have to travel all the way down to Nashville for a pre-season game this year.

At first glance it seems stupid and unnecessary, but I'm glad they are keeping it at four best of seven rounds at least.  Increasing the focus on doing well in your division rather than the conference makes it tougher for teams in better divisions, but at least theoretically the skill of each division will fluctuate, although the Southeast becoming good seems to be way overdue.  It's also annoying that not every division has the same number of teams but we'll see how long this lasts, it could balance out soon.

It's also kind of a bummer that it is now very unlikely to have division rivals face each other in the conference finals, but having divisional playoffs makes the travel less of a disadvantage for the Western teams than the old way, which they have been dealing with for a long time now, so I'm okay with it.  I just hope they don't make a big deal of "division champions" since with the wild card teams you will sometimes be playing teams from another division.

At first glance it seems stupid and unnecessary, but I'm glad they are keeping it at four best of seven rounds at least.  Increasing the focus on doing well in your division rather than the conference makes it tougher for teams in better divisions, but at least theoretically the skill of each division will fluctuate, although the Southeast becoming good seems to be way overdue.  It's also annoying that not every division has the same number of teams but we'll see how long this lasts, it could balance out soon.

It's also kind of a bummer that it is now very unlikely to have division rivals face each other in the conference finals, but having divisional playoffs makes the travel less of a disadvantage for the Western teams than the old way, which they have been dealing with for a long time now, so I'm okay with it.  I just hope they don't make a big deal of "division champions" since with the wild card teams you will sometimes be playing teams from another division.

Theoretically, yes, but in practice, the SE div could just have one good year then go back to another 10 years of being awful. The division champ thing is totally gonna be weird, I don't think there's any way to mitigate that until we get even conferences/divisions.

Yeah so like I said theoretically the difficulty of each divisions will fluctuate, but as the Southeast has proven that hasn't really been the case.  At least with the new realignment, the Southest division is being split up, but obviously some divisions will still be tougher than others.

Metropolitan division?  Terrible.  Sounds like something that would be used in the WNBA or Arena Football.  

Yep...what a horrible name, doesn't even sound like it belongs in the NHL. I picture a peewee league.

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/metropolitan-division-nhl-reveals-division-names-realignment-174440888.html

From what I’ve been told, Commissioner Gary Bettman pushed for both the geographic names and specifically for the Metropolitan Division as a solution for a basic problem: How do you name a division that covers Canada to Florida?

One thought: Keep the Atlantic the Atlantic and rename that Frankenstein’s monster-of-a-division as the Eastern Division. But that would have clashed with the conference name.

So Metropolitan was seen as the way to go, with Atlantic being the catch-all geographic distinction for the other division.

Thus begins the endless jokes about the division name, which has probably already been re-christened the "Metrosexual Division" by the rest of the NHL.