Tedenby to albany

caron14

Well, it took a couple years and a couple failed attempts in the big league for Marty St. Louis to find his stride. Not saying Teddy will be the next St. Louis, but if the kid is ever gonna amount to anything, it wouldn't be the most shocking thing in the world if it took a bit longer than it takes a typical prospect. I saw some flashes in this stint that were markedly improved over any of his previous trips to NJ. Quotes from Lou and DeBo make it look like they think Teddy will definitely get another shot, to me at least.

I kinda felt bad for Teddy at first, but it's pretty evident he just doesn't have the hockey sense to stick with the big team. He's weak on the boards, bad in the defensive end, and just gets pushed off the puck.

He should honestly watch what the Gionta's do. Somehow Stephen is out there every shift pushing people around on the forecheck and establishing himself in front of the net. I know Ted would be more of a finesse player, but man is he soft right now.

Hate to use the word "bust" but...it's just about time I'd say.

Lou should've shipped him out for something about 2 years ago. Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20

That doesn't make any sense. Who wanted Mattias Tedenby 2 years ago? Why would NJ trade him?

At no point after being a first round pick in Mattias Tedenby's career since then could you make a case that he should have been drafted higher.

Well, it took a couple years and a couple failed attempts in the big league for Marty St. Louis to find his stride. Not saying Teddy will be the next St. Louis, but if the kid is ever gonna amount to anything, it wouldn't be the most shocking thing in the world if it took a bit longer than it takes a typical prospect. I saw some flashes in this stint that were markedly improved over any of his previous trips to NJ. Quotes from Lou and DeBo make it look like they think Teddy will definitely get another shot, to me at least.

The difference is that Marty St. Louis dominated every league he played in besides the NHL. He was a top college player all 4 years then crushed the IHL and AHL. I thought Tedenby would become a 2nd/3rd line type, 2 to 2.5 shots per game, maybe drives play, maybe doesn't, but draws a boatload of penalties even so. Hasn't worked out that way. He's waiver-eligible next year, and that's if he even signs with NJ - he may explore Sweden or the KHL.

Edited by Triumph

Reported by who? No-one of reputation, I assume.

Either way, that's a ticket I don't want.

I seriously doubt COL trades Stastny. They seem high on him and they have a young team growing up together, no reason to split guys up via trades before you know what they could be.

He had his chances, but he just doesn't seem strong enough, and he's rarely on the right spot on the ice. Hopefully Matteau can develop into another Zubrus and Darche or Butler pans out.

That doesn't make any sense. Who wanted Mattias Tedenby 2 years ago? Why would NJ trade him?

I think he might've had some value to some GM out there after his 50ish game stint during the 2010-2011 season. Of course at that point it looked like he actually had some potential, so I can't necessarily blame Lou for not trading him. But, speaking as a know-nothing armchair GM here, I would've looked around for a lower-risk player.

Anytime I hear his name I will always think of the Devils passing up Carlson. I thought for sure they were going to take him. Still disappointing. That said, I was a huge Tedenby fan. I can't believe that he never built off his 2010-11 season. Talking to him at the player skate which a family friend gave me tickets for, he seemed like a really cool dude.

Starting to feel that this is the end of the road for him though. Bergfors was actually better, he had some nice plays before being a vital asset in the Kovalchuk trade. What a shame this turned out to be

I know hindsight is 20/20 on the Carlson pick, but wasn't one of the picks the devils got from trading down the one they used in Henrique? I may have my years off.

I dunno about that but they were int he same draft. And for the hindsight people, the NHL central scouting bureau had Tedenby ranked higher than Erik Karlsson among Euro skaters so it's not like we picked him out of nowhere.

He's got the skills just doesn't play defense and isn't strong enough/whatever it takes to get past his size. It's probably extremely hard to pick those particular attributes out of an 18 year old kid playing in Europe when he's not playing against the highest level (I think Tedenby was a level lower than JJ when we drafted him). If someone claimed him on waivers, it'd be a miracle. Looks like he's going to end up back in Europe.

Edited by DH26

Right move for sure. I won't stop pulling for him as his effort is not his issue. The only time I get fed up and give up on our young guys is when they lack effort. I think his hockey IQ is holding him back just as much as his stature. And hockey IQ is something he can learn. His motor will always be great and if the coaches can get him flying around to the right places he could still be a very useful, but maybe, unfortunately, useful in the AHL or Europe.

The pick was a high risk selection for a high end skilled forward..a very un-devil like pick that, at the time, I was applauding due to the complete lack of flair in our forward prospect pool (something that our prospect pool still very much lacks today). Looking back at drafts in ALL sports is incredibly frusturating. You can usually cherry pick an example of someone who turned out great chosen later just as easily as finding an example of a player who was picked earlier that ended up worse.

Amazing how quickly these dreams can end. It's not over for him yet, but one wonders how many more chances he's going to get.

And I always wonder how these guys take it when they realize the dream is over...and how long that realization haunts them.

I've posted this before, but former Colorado Rockie and NJ Devil Merlin Malinowski was drafted 27th overall by the Rockies in the 1978 draft, and was considered to be a big-time prospect. He had his breakout year in 1980-81, scoring 25 goals and adding 37 assists in 69 GP...he was considered to be an up-and-comer, a guy who would be a terrific playmaker for years to come. The following year, he played in 69 games again, but saw his production slide (41 points), his playing time get cut, and even started getting scratched. Despite scoring 3 goals and adding two assists in five games as a Devil, he was traded to the Whalers, and played so poorly for that team that not only did Hartford release him, no one else in the NHL wanted him, or would even give him a chance. At 25 and with just 282 NHL games under his belt, his NHL dream was toast, though he did enjoy many productive years in the Swiss leagues afterward.

I got to talk to him, and I could really hear the pain and regret in his voice that his NHL career didn't last longer or go better. After a few minutes I could tell it still hurt him, so many years after his last NHL game. And I wonder if it was like that for Bergfors, or will be for Tedenby if he doesn't pan out. It's one thing to be a low draft pick and have minimal talent, but just like Malinowski all those years ago, Bergfors and Tedenby were drafted where they were because it was strongly believed that they could not only get to the NHL fairly quickly, but thrive upon getting there. What goes through their minds when it's all over? Do they feel like they failed? Or that their teams failed them? That they had given more, tried harder (Malinowski admitted as such)? I guess I'll always wonder about such things...when the dream ends...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976