Why Can't Canada Win the Stanley Cup?

smelly

This is a very long-winded way of saying there is no rhyme or reason to the answer.  You had three Canadian teams take the SCF to game 7 since 2004 -- Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.  Althoug I'm not a statistician, that would seem to be the statistical equivalent of winning a Cup.  But even if it isn't, it has nothing to do with ticket sales, geographical region, or fan followings.  It was just random chance that led to a Canadian team not drafting Sydney Crosby, having GMs that made bad calls on draft picks, trades or free agency signings, hiring the wrong coach, etc.  In fact, the words "draft", "trade", "coach" and "general manager" are not mentioned in the article at all. 

EDIT:  It's also interesting the same amount of Canadian baseball teams have won a championship in the same period of time than a Canadian hockey team. 

Edited by Daniel

Because the Leafs, Flames, Canadiens (before Bergevin at least and that Subban contract doesn't help his competence probability), Oilers are incompetent. The Senators got to the finals and probably were the best team on paper in 03 and 07. The Canucks fell apart when they had Boston dead to rights before Aaron Rome. I didn't need Nate Silver to tell me that 

Edited by DH26

Because the Leafs, Flames, Canadiens (before Bergevin at least and that Subban contract doesn't help his competence probability), Oilers are incompetent. The Senators got to the finals and probably were the best team on paper in 03 and 07. The Canucks fell apart when they had Boston dead to rights before Aaron Rome. I didn't need Nate Silver to tell me that

Yeah, but he at least toys with the idea that there's something intrinsic about being a team in Canada that's to explain for this, Except for fewer Canadian based teams, it's just happenstance. And that four Canadian teams game within a game of winning the Cup during that time should be the nail in the coffin for any such argument.

A lot has changed since the dominance of Canadian teams. The Habs no longer get special draft privileges, Gretzky arriving in LA gave hockey legs in the US. I mean up until the late 60's there were only 6 teams and 2 were Canadian. The odds were much better for a Canadian team than they are now.