Your thought on today / about the team so far ?

SterioDesign

not from our end, but players like schneider re-signing and good players coming over, it's a huge deal.

Ditto... Schneider's probably the one who's most affected (in a positive way, for us) by the new ownership. If he has a good year this year, I can't see why we won't offer him a long-term deal to lock him up by next June... And as Schneider goes personally, I'd assume he's much more at ease being in New Jersey than he was on draft weekend (with all the ownership and bankruptcy stuff all in the air)...

So apparently The Hockey News has the Devils picked to finish last in the division and 12th in the conference. No surprise there I guess. Also, anyone on here from FLA and know where I can pick up the new yearbook? I can't remember for the life of me where I've bought it the past few years down here.

I really don't know.  I don't know how that changes anything.  I didn't say there was anything wrong with him.  I just don't think he's top 6.

So in other words 'I have no idea how Henrique compares to his peers, but I can say definitively that he belongs in this group and not that group'.  

People overestimate how many points/goals a player on a particular line 'should' score.  Henrique would already be one of the best 3rd line players in the league, and he's still probably got a little bit of improvement left to do.

So in other words 'I have no idea how Henrique compares to his peers, but I can say definitively that he belongs in this group and not that group'.  

People overestimate how many points/goals a player on a particular line 'should' score.  Henrique would already be one of the best 3rd line players in the league, and he's still probably got a little bit of improvement left to do.

Production aside. I'm considering things he does to make his team better.  Is he a playermaker? No, I can't classify him as that.  Is he a goal scorer? I can't give him that either.  So, where do you put him? He's a grinder who is good on the pk.  That says 3rd line to me.

Production aside. I'm considering things he does to make his team better.  Is he a playermaker? No, I can't classify him as that.  Is he a goal scorer? I can't give him that either.  So, where do you put him? He's a grinder who is good on the pk.  That says 3rd line to me.

He has .57 points per 82 games in his NHL career.  Granted I don't think he'll stay at that rate, but guys who score 15-20 goals with 15-25 assists per 82 games - yeah, they're not really 3rd line players, unless they're on deep teams.  Once NJ figures out that Henrique isn't best at center, he'll start to get some more shots and more goals.  

He has .57 points per 82 games in his NHL career.  Granted I don't think he'll stay at that rate, but guys who score 15-20 goals with 15-25 assists per 82 games - yeah, they're not really 3rd line players, unless they're on deep teams.  Once NJ figures out that Henrique isn't best at center, he'll start to get some more shots and more goals.  

The other thing about Henrique is that, I've read anyway, is that he got very tough minutes as a rookie, which is pretty rare.  And he seemed to hold his own at that. 

Whatever the case, I don't think there's enough of a track record to get a good handle on what he'll ultimately be.  He had a full season playing with some very good players that are no longer on the team.  And it's pretty difficult to gauge a player that otherwise doesn't have a steady proven trackrecord based on last season.  Last season could prove to be especially quirky for the Devils in that there were key injuries for a good chunk of the season. 

The other thing about Henrique is that, I've read anyway, is that he got very tough minutes as a rookie, which is pretty rare.  And he seemed to hold his own at that. 

Whatever the case, I don't think there's enough of a track record to get a good handle on what he'll ultimately be.  He had a full season playing with some very good players that are no longer on the team.  And it's pretty difficult to gauge a player that otherwise doesn't have a steady proven trackrecord based on last season.  Last season could prove to be especially quirky for the Devils in that there were key injuries for a good chunk of the season. 

This could be a fair point. Outside of Elias, Kovalchuk, and the first quarter of the season for Clarkson, the Devils did not have a great year offensively.

On another note, we're approaching September and Henrique is still not signed. I wonder what's taking so long. Is there a time to start worrying about this?

This could be a fair point. Outside of Elias, Kovalchuk, and the first quarter of the season for Clarkson, the Devils did not have a great year offensively.

On another note, we're approaching September and Henrique is still not signed. I wonder what's taking so long. Is there a time to start worrying about this?

If it's not done by the time camp starts, I'll be concerned. Otherwise I'd give it a week from now to let the dust settle from the ownership change and see if that announcement is what was holding up Henrique's deal.

If it's not done by the time camp starts, I'll be concerned. Otherwise I'd give it a week from now to let the dust settle from the ownership change and see if that announcement is what was holding up Henrique's deal.

It also might mean that Henrique is testing whether he can get a deal approximating what Landeskog got. 

It also might mean that Henrique is testing whether he can get a deal approximating what Landeskog got. 

Lou had a few chuckles at the recent press conference, but I bet he hasn't had a real good laugh in a while - this would give it to him.

Edited by Triumph

Lou had a few chuckles at the recent press conference, but I bet he hasn't had a real good laugh in a while - this would give it to him.

I'm not defending it, but superficially anyway, it's not something I would put past some agent. Over two years, very close to each other in points per game, plus Henrique is "clutch". It would not shock me if his agent is trying to get something like 20/4.

If Henrique were asking for what we think he is, this deal should have been done. That is not the type of money that the ownership situation needed to be straightened out over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm not defending it, but superficially anyway, it's not something I would put past some agent. Over two years, very close to each other in points per game, plus Henrique is "clutch". It would not shock me if his agent is trying to get something like 20/4. If Henrique were asking for what we think he is, this deal should have been done. That is not the type of money that the ownership situation needed to be straightened out over. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The agent can ask and he can get laughed at.  Landeskog is younger, his shots per game are way higher, and he's a much better player right now, never mind in the future.  20/4 is a totally absurd price for Henrique - I don't even think he would get paid that if he were a UFA right now.

The agent can ask and he can get laughed at. Landeskog is younger, his shots per game are way higher, and he's a much better player right now, never mind in the future. 20/4 is a totally absurd price for Henrique - I don't even think he would get paid that if he were a UFA right now.

First, most GMs do not look at shots per game when it comes to these kinds of things, I can't speak for Lou though.

Second, I am not saying that it would be a fair deal. I'm only suggesting that's what his agent might be asking for. We're running out of reasons for why a deal hasn't been announced yet, if Henrique's agent is in fact being reasonable.

First, most GMs do not look at shots per game when it comes to these kinds of things, I can't speak for Lou though.

Second, I am not saying that it would be a fair deal. I'm only suggesting that's what his agent might be asking for. We're running out of reasons for why a deal hasn't been announced yet, if Henrique's agent is in fact being reasonable.

Haha, okay, I suppose you talk to most GMs.  If you don't think they at least glance at shots on goal, I suspect you're mistaken.  And then of course we have more and more stories about GMs using analytics.

Why can't it be Lou holding Henrique's cap number down?  Henrique has no recourse.  If he gets a 2 year deal it'll probably be for something like 1.5M per.  Henrique might want more.

Haha, okay, I suppose you talk to most GMs.  If you don't think they at least glance at shots on goal, I suspect you're mistaken.  And then of course we have more and more stories about GMs using analytics.

Why can't it be Lou holding Henrique's cap number down?  Henrique has no recourse.  If he gets a 2 year deal it'll probably be for something like 1.5M per.  Henrique might want more.

maybe Daniel and Dave Nonis are best friends forever Tri jeez

Yup that's right. It's idle speculation on a messageboard.

Get over yourselves.

You didn't phrase it like it was speculation though. You said it like you knew it, when it's clear you don't KNOW that. You're guessing that they don't look at shots per game. Why you think they wouldn't is beyond me. You don't think Clarky was helped in getting his contract by the number of shots he takes?

You didn't phrase it like it was speculation though. You said it like you knew it, when it's clear you don't KNOW that. You're guessing that they don't look at shots per game. Why you think they wouldn't is beyond me. You don't think Clarky was helped in getting his contract by the number of shots he takes?

I never said any such thing.  I said it "might" be the case.  I never claimed to have any sort of inside knowledge or that I'm in good with the CAA security guard.

And I think Clarkson got the deal he did because he was a 30 goal scorer and based on his "intangibles" or "grit".  You can say that the former is primarily based on the amount of shots he took, I just think that your typical GM, or perhaps agent, will look at goals and assists when it comes to contract negotiations. 

Ryan O'Reilly got 2 years $10 million on an offer sheet at the same stage of his career as Henrique is at now and with similar stats that Henrique has had.  It isn't that implausible that Henrique's agent is hanging on to the possibility that Henrique could get something like that.