Trenton Titans to cease operations for 2013-14 (Not Folding)

thefiestygoat

I didn't say it was cheaper, but compared to the experience, it was well worth the extra bucks.  I don't know where you sat for $150 per, but I went to about 6 games, and never paid more than 45 per, and had excellent seats (great site lines) usually 7-10 rows up.  Bought my tix on Stub Hub, but I digress...Perception is reality, and the PERCEPTION is that it is very unsafe there.  They did little marketing and people had too many alternative choices.  For those bashing the Devils handling of this team, people in this area, are primarily Flyers/Rangers fans.  I've been to several games in Trenton, and I've got to be honest, it was decent hockey, but not much of an experience.

$150 for a family.

Your argument is pretty weak. Nobody attending a ECHL game is going to confuse it for NHL an level of play, and for my kids this has done way more to hook them on the sport than sitting in the 100 level at the Rock. So for me that was pretty valuable.

And Trenton being unsafe? I'd venture to say it was waaaaaaaaaay more unsafe 14 years ago when they were filling the place. And even then, its right off a highway.

No question the Devils did damage to the market, but I'd say its pretty weak to pin it on just that. Overall people were happy to have their team name back, but then there were many a night the last two season where it looked identical in the stands to a T-Devils game.

There have been hints that there is a bit more to the story here than just attendance, so lets see how that plays out. My guess is some sort of obligation wasn't met that was promised when the team was hastily revived last year. Ashmore reported is for a team to return, it would be treated as an expansion team and pay the fees associated with that. So if you read between those lines the league wasn't paid something it was expecting right?

I've been going to Titans games for ten years and never felt unsafe.  You park literally across the street from the arena, you don't have to do any driving through dangerous streets since it is right there on the highway, and there are police officers out there directing traffic.  That is a lame excuse to not go to a game.

Me too, don't now what anyone is talking about. The burbs are killing Trenton, as is the economy, otherwise there'd be more police. But even as it is I've never felt unsafe. Who is going to mug you with a couple hundred people around you?

I guess we could go back and fourth forever.  As a business owner in Trenton, I have much invested in this city.  I hate what it has become, but it is what it is.  Hockey will not draw fans from the city to the games.  It must pull from the suburbs.  The very papers that cover Trenton hockey, also carry stories of shootings, murder, and violence on almost a daily basis.  People from the 'burbs will not venture to this city for minor league hockey.  If they did, there'd be no need for this thread.  (Oh, and the difference between Newark and Trenton?  The city of Newark has done a great job in creating an entertainment district where you can grab a bite to eat, catch a game, and grab a beer before heading home.  Police are everywhere on game night.  What has Trenton got?)

• 8 months later...

Sorry to bump ancient news but I was wondering if there has ever been anything to follow the original announcement? I sincerely want this team back in Trenton. I loved this team and now I have two kids that would love to see this team play.

I've been going to Titans games for ten years and never felt unsafe.  You park literally across the street from the arena, you don't have to do any driving through dangerous streets since it is right there on the highway, and there are police officers out there directing traffic.  That is a lame excuse to not go to a game.

The whole feeling unsafe thing is complete garbage, and like I said in an older thread, steams from ignorance. High crime rate or not, what makes anyone think they're going to be a target walking a block or two to an arena with thousands of other people. Besides, random acts of violence are an extremely small percentage of crime. It's mostly drug/gang related in America's urban areas, especially Trenton. You could walk through the worst areas of the worst cities, and the chances of anything happening to you are still very slim.

The whole feeling unsafe thing is complete garbage, and like I said in an older thread, steams from ignorance. High crime rate or not, what makes anyone think they're going to be a target walking a block or two to an arena with thousands of other people. Besides, random acts of violence are an extremely small percentage of crime. It's mostly drug/gang related in America's urban areas, especially Trenton. You could walk through the worst areas of the worst cities, and the chances of anything happening to you are still very slim.

This.

what is the point of Devils having 4 ahl games in A.C.? Are they trying to determine whether it'll fly there? 

They've done it for a few years now. I think it's likely in part to try to grow a fanbase in Jersey but more to draw fans of local teams (they keep playing Wilkes-Barre [Pens affiliate], Hershey [Caps] and the Phantoms [Flyers affiliate, who are moving back to eastern PA next year]).

Theoretically, I might agree (though to deny the serious crime problem in Trenton is naive), but at the end of the day, perception is reality. No matter, hockey in Trenton is done. Given the way the most recent incarnation left, I see no way anyone will trust anyone else who tries to bring a team in.