GDT: New Jersey @ Pittsburgh 7 pm

Derlique

No need to panic, although I am about to open the little plastic cover that shields the "panic button" just about now. The difference between this year and last year is EFFORT. The team put in effort all the way to the end (except for Kovy who packed it in on our last PP). Effort will keep you IN games, but it won't win you them.

Here are my main concerns:

1. Hedberg exposed major weaknesses in the 3rd period, mainly, he exposed the entire high-side of the net for the second, third, and fourth goals. Maybe he couldn't stand up to those shots because he was tired from last night? Who knows...perhaps start Kinkaid on one of the games out West to "energize" the squad?

2. The team is very one-dimentional and predictable in its movements. No quick one-two lateral passes are being made. Very predictable.

3. They are being out played for loose pucks.

4. Palmieri needs to step up and do something. He's playing like a younger version of Rolston last year. He's a third/fourth line player at best at the moment.

5. I also think that maybe Henrique would benefit in centering Palms and Kovy if line changes need to be made.

6. Kovy's barometer is the team's success. IF, and IF the Devils start losing by two or three, Kovy packs it in. I noticed on our PP at the end that Kovy basically gave up on a puck he lost when he was carrying it out of the zone. That sh!t can't happen.

7. Trade. We need a player that will be a good stopgap until Trav/Joffer get back because this team is lacking in actual personnel to overcome the losses of those two guys.

If we play like yesterday and today, we're done. Hopefully, this is just a hiccup.

I thought they played better tonight then last night(even said that we stole a point when clarkson scored at the game last night). Didn't see all the penalties but it's tough when you get 4 calls against you and don't have a pp until you are down by 2 or 3 in the third.

Not saying heddy played bad but when you are a butterfly goalie you let up a lot if the other team can hit the corners upstairs. God quick legs, great positionally but smaller butterfly's are tough.

4th line had some good shifts. Didn't even need to double shift kovy because of it in the second.

Impressed that Teddy is playing a better all around game. Couple games in a row with PK time as well. Interesting philosophy from Deboer with his pkers. Must want offensive threats on the ice.

Need to play more disciplined, I know captain obvious there. I also notice that more then a couple players are skating around holding the stick up with one hand a lot. Not sure if this has been happening for a while but I just noticed it tonight. Might be fatigue from back to back nights,

2nd tonight was one of the best periods of the year, 2nd last night was one of the worst.

Ya know I gotta be honest here: maybe its just because I haven't seen these last 2 games, but it just seems like the negativity here is a little over the top for it being 7 games into the season. 75 to go, ya know? Still a much better start than last year.

A pee-wee team could have a better start than last year.

It's BECAUSE of last year and the second half of '09-10 that things are so negative, when (if?) the Devils get back to that 100-point sure thing for the playoffs level then things'll ease up a little. Not to mention this team can't afford to be on the playoff bubble again, with the Zach situation.

Edited by NJDevs4978

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! This made my night even though we lost...

Rich-Chere_normal.JPGLedger_NJDevils Rich Chere Petr Sykora said he was trying to help the team when he went to the penalty box on a Patrik Elias penalty. He pulled off the caper.

DSC00130_normal.JPGTGfireandice Tom Gulitti Sykora admitted he pulled a fast one on the officals by intentionally went to box to serve Elias' penalty, so Elias could be on PK.

DSC00130_normal.JPGTGfireandice Tom Gulitti Sykora said he was "unrespectful" to the referee and later apologized after the referee figured out what he did.

Rich-Chere_normal.JPGLedger_NJDevils Rich Chere But Sykora admitted he was wrong to do it and apologized to the referee. "I didn't want Patty to go to the penalty box."

DSC00130_normal.JPGTGfireandice Tom Gulitti For a minute, that looked like it would be significant because tied the game withe a shorthanded goal.

DSC00130_normal.JPGTGfireandice Tom Gulitti Sykora:“I was unrespectful to the referee but I was trying to help my team. I didn’t want to have Patty go to the penalty box for 4 minutes"

DSC00130_normal.JPGTGfireandice Tom Gulitti Sykora: “After that (the referee) came up to me, he wasn’t happy and I apologized to him. It was unrespectful from me."

It's BECAUSE of last year and the second half of '09-10 that things are negative, when (if?) the Devils get back to that 100-point sure thing for the playoffs level then things'll ease up a little.

This is true, and I may even have more of a negative tone had I seen these last 2. However, I don't wanna start jumping off any bridges just yet. Hopefully they get it together and have a decent trip to the coast. I'd sign for 2 out of 3, as I'm sure all of us would.

It's BECAUSE of last year and the second half of '09-10 that things are so negative, when (if?) the Devils get back to that 100-point sure thing for the playoffs level then things'll ease up a little. Not to mention this team can't afford to be on the playoff bubble again, with the Zach situation.

what accounts for the negativity around here for the years of 02 - 08?

best to take a break the board every now and then before it really gets to you.

Joe

what accounts for the negativity around here for the years of 02 - 08?

best to take a break the board every now and then before it really gets to you.

That was just people being spoiled :P This is legitimate concern (for most people) that the Devils are no longer even the 100-point playoff lock they were in the years post-lockout.

But if we fall flat on our face again and prove we're turning into the Thrashers I probably am gonna take a break from the Manta-gloating around here.

They're not a sure thing 100 point team. (Not that this means anything anymore anyway) They're also not a sure thing playoff team. I think people smoke up a whole bunch of happy crack in the offseason and think the team is just going to be incredibly awesome... just because. It happens with every team.

They lost an ambush game after they got totally worked the night before. Big surprise. It doesn't look that awful on paper.

Doubt it, it lead to the game tying goal and if....IF...we won tonight we'd all be applauding Sykora.

Let's see if you're still saying this after the next few games when the refs REALLY 'tax' us with calls against because of it. He embarassed the refs, there almost certainly is going to be payback, consciously or subconsciously.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Let's see if you're still saying this after the next few games when the refs REALLY 'tax' us with calls against because of it. He embarassed the refs, there almost certainly is going to be payback, consciously or subconsciously.

They really taxed us with bs calls tonight. Pens got away w everything. What are they gona do now? Call more bs? No difference

• Like 1

They really taxed us with bs calls tonight. Pens got away w everything. What are they gona do now? Call more bs? No difference

Ironic that you're still saying that considering we were the beneficiary of a wrong player in the box, an easy faceoff win that resulted because the Penguins were trying to alert the refs to Sykora's chicanery, and a hook on the play that led to the actual goal. We got absolutely gifted a goal and still got blown away after that.

Yeah they're gonna get 'star' calls all season, nothing you can do about it but shoot, they got away with nonsense left and right last February at the Rock, and we still beat them in OT. Good teams overcome that crap at least some of the time.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Exactly. What are they gonna do call more then they already are? Will anyone tell the difference?

Besides, i don't think the refs are the only ones Sykora is fooling.

This won't do anything other then maybe put Sykora in for a borderline call. Maybe. It was an individual player pulling an impromptu fast one. It wasn't like Deboer huddled and went over this strategy with the team. We aren't looking at any kind of "Yellow Sunday" punishment here.

Edited by SJP20