2007 Rutgers Football thread

metallidevils

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The WHOLE freaking world will be at this game -- they made my lovely lawn view a freaking PARKING lot.

But I can't help but think... FREE BEER!!! Tailgate at work... how cool is that? I love my job! :wub:

You guys -- you have no idea how surreal this is... ten years at Rutgers and all of a sudden everyone cares about football from DAY ONE!!???

I moved my daughter into daycare by me -- we said she's going to Rutgers for school now -- she looked very concerned and quietly said "am I old enough?" :rofl:

It's so INSANE here!!! I told my husband and what did he do? Ordered digital cable and subscribed to the college football network. I've created a monster! College football rocks! :clap:

There are so many helicopters and those planes with ads -- these guys are more nuts than U of M -- it gets me all misty even - RU football fans deserve this -- I hope this is a good season nailbiting.gif

HOLY CRAP -- the RU chant already??? We're never getting tickets this season :( Rebecca wants to go with an R painted on her face. She's been talking about it all Summer... trauma...

Edited by Pepperkorn

the game was SO FREAKING LOUD...i sat 3 rows behind the band, and could hardly hear them. We all thought the team played terribly on defense. If it wasn't for the fact that Buffalo is awful, it would have been a much closer game. The WRs dropped a ton of passes when they were wide open.

The ticket policy sucks. I got into the Navy game, I really hope I get into homecoming.

I return to NJ for a visit and I am driving down the NJ Turnpike...and around Exit 12 I see a sign that says Rutgers Football, get on the season ticket waiting list today...waiting list??? 5 years ago, when the Scarlet Knights had that cheesy saying for Schiano "Its Time", they could not GIVE tickets away!

Just another sign of the apoclyspe!!! :rofl:

I return to NJ for a visit and I am driving down the NJ Turnpike...and around Exit 12 I see a sign that says Rutgers Football, get on the season ticket waiting list today...waiting list??? 5 years ago, when the Scarlet Knights had that cheesy saying for Schiano "Its Time", they could not GIVE tickets away!

Just another sign of the apoclyspe!!! :rofl:

It's so INSANE here!!! -- it gets me all misty even - RU football fans deserve this --

Rebecca wants to go with an R painted on her face. She's been talking about it all Summer... trauma...

Edited by Masked Fan

Eh anyone can look silly with the triple option, it's like the knuckleball pitch in baseball or the matchup zone in college basketball. It's done by so few teams you really can't always know how to defend it till you see it.

At least they avoided a mild trap and have a virtual bye next week before the somewhat tougher tests against Maryland and the Cinci rematch.

WTF... Norfolk State?? Good thing Rutgers didn't have Appalachian State as one of their cupcakes this year :rolleyes:

9/15 vs. Norfolk State 3:30 p.m.

Edited by Guest

For a 41-24 win, I didn't feel too good.

Sloppy play. Keeping the Navy drives alive with .... 100 yards in penalties! Better get the disipline down before the top tear teams come a callin'. You don't want to keep Offenses on the field. Bad things can happen.

Great job by the entire BIG EAST so far though, everyone is 2-0 except the Oranges (0-2) That should help the BS ... er, I mean BCS poll rankings... Yup. up to #13

GO KNIGHTS!!

I know this probably won't be well received but I heard Mike and the Mad Dog reading some excerpts of this Star Ledger article which was about last week's game against Navy and it's kind of embarrassing.

And being that it is a Rutgers thread and all, I guess I'll post it:

http://blog.nj.com/njv_mark_diionno/2007/0...ers_draw_a.html

Obscene fans at Rutgers draw a penalty flag

Posted by Mark DiIonno September 11, 2007 9:56AM

The play came late in the game, when Rutgers expanded its lead over Navy to a comfortable level after a tight three quarters.

Navy's Reggie Campbell took the kickoff and ran full speed ahead up the middle with all the force his 168-pound body could generate. Campbell, almost always the smallest and fastest man on the field, hit a wall of XXXL-sized scarlet jerseys and was slammed to the ground at the bottom of the pile. He got up slowly, limping off. This gutsy kid, a slotback who already spent three quarters being chased and tackled by gangs of defensive linemen and linebackers, all weighing at least 100 pounds more than him, was then given a dose of Rutgers' student section class.

''You got f---ed up. You got f---ed up. You got f--ed-up," they chanted.

Reggie Campbell is a senior. After graduation in June he has a five-year commitment to the American military, which, like it or not, is at war.

"This is how you treat people who may die for this country?" said Bill Squires, an Annapolis graduate (Class of'75) who was on the sidelines for the Friday night game in Piscataway and was shocked by the obscene chants directed at the Navy players and fans throughout the game. "It was the most classless thing I've seen."

Navy was booed and peppered with "You suck!" chants when they stepped on the field for both halves. Toward the end of the second half, Rutgers students in the new bleacher section began to serenade the adjacent section of Navy fans and uniformed Midshipmen.

''F--- you, Navy. F---you, Navy. F--- you, Navy."

"There were wives and small children up there," said Squires, an academic recruiter for the academy who has been to dozens of away games and never seen such contempt directed at his team. "Our Midshipmen reacted the way they were taught. They didn't respond, but the band started playing 'Anchors Aweigh' to drown them out. Me, I felt like going up there and smacking somebody. I was mad, and it bothered me all weekend."

Booing, cursing, chanting obscenities, unfortunately, are now part of the game day experience. It's easily been three decades since fans across the country in all sports began spending more time and creative energy jeering the visitors and officials than cheering the home team. Rutgers is far from the worst. They're not even the worst in New Jersey, not with the Jets' fans still in town. Still, every penalty against the Scarlet Knights is greeted with a chant of "a--hole, a--hole, a--hole."

And now that Rutgers is winning, the long-suffering, self-effacing adult fans are being drowned out by a new generation of weight-room bully boys in scarlet T-shirts and red face-paint, who, from the safety of their seats, belittle the guys down on the field who take the hits.

Now that Rutgers is big-time, the old-time academic-and adult-minded fans are being elbowed aside by gangs of frat boys thrusting their fists and faces into the rolling ESPN cameras. What was it your old football coach used to say? Act like you've been there before. Not in the RU student section.

"At one point, I thought, we defend this country for people like this?" said Squires, who lives in West Orange. "I wasn't embarassed as a New Jerseyan. I was embarassed as a human being."

It was so noticeable that Rutgers athletic director Bob Mulcahy called down to Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk yesterday to make sure there were no hard feelings, according to John Wooding, an assistant AD at Rutgers.

Some will excuse the behavior as kids just being kids, out to have a loutish, drunken good time. Spewing obscenities at the visiting team is just part of the fun.

But you'd hope our Jersey kids would be smart enough to make an exception for the service academies, especially the weekend before the anniversary of Sept. 11, their generation's own Day of Infamy. You'd hope they'd be sensitive enough to realize that some of those Midshipmen may soon be among the young American men and women fighting and bleeding and dying in Iraq and Afghanistan. Young Americans, the same age as those safe in the stands watching a football game with their faces and bodies painted red.

At the very least, you'd think the Rutgers students would have some appreciation for the effort the undersize Navy players put out. They aren't like the players from Louisville or West Virginia or some of the other ranked powerhouses Rutgers now finds itself among. They are what Rutgers was not so many years ago. Students first, athletes second. Except better.

The new Rutgers is a big-time football school, with all the hype and manufactured drama. Coach Greg Schiano leads his team through pregame Scarlet Walk, chest out, stomach in, looking every bit the general except without gold braids, epaulets and a full rack of medals. The band plays. The cheerleaders and dance team girls wave pompoms. The conquering heroes go past, eyes front. At game time, the scoreboard TV shows the team coming down the tunnel to a soundtrack from Armageddon. An Army helicopter chop-chops overhead (your tax dollars at work).

Football has always marched to a militaristic or tribal drum beat, to whip up players to greater levels of violence. The game is always likened to war by coaches, players, announcers and writers who haven't been to war.

But to Reggie Campbell and his Navy teammates, Friday night's game wasn't war. It was a game. War is around the bend.

They deserved better.

And that red on the faces of some Rutgers' fans wasn't body paint.

I've read enough articles on the subject, and my view has not changed - there was NOTHING wrong with the booing, and although the cursing was wrong, it's wrong for EVERY game, not just this one. Why is it OK to boo/curse other football teams, who I'm sure also have players who will help make the world a better place? Cursing publicly in front of families/kids is a wrong thing to do. But booing? It's not we are booing them personally. We're trying to make an environment as hostile as possible (while still hopefully keeping it clean) for the opposing team. And why not? They're trying to beat our football team. Cursing is wrong, but it's no more wrong than it was last week against Buffalo, although no one seemed to write about that. It's not like we're booing their choice to join the Navy, or booing the fact that they will one day be fighting for our country...just booing the fact that they, as football players, are trying to beat our team...it's nothing personal; it's just football.

Edited by metallidevils