The Movies thread!

CRASHER

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A.O. Scott of the New York Times said that this is rent worthy--if you're drunk. :) He suggests a drinking game--for every dude that gets his head blown off, you need to take a shot of something "probably whiskey." I wish he suggested that in regards to the first one. I would have probably thought it was a master piece...if I were drunk. Since I wasn't, I'm aware that it was very enjoyable crap. It's rare, but crap can be enjoyable.

The first Boondock Saints had a one week, limited release run--so you can only imagine the box office performance. :blink: However, it made a staggering $40,000,000 in DVD sales. My guess is pretty much the same for the sequel.

Cheers! :cheers:

Happy first post, sir! By the way, your font is making my eyes water...it's all small and oddly spaced...

I imagine the sequel will do much better at the box office simply due to how much of a "cult classic" the first one was, but that DVD number is amazing. Boondock Saint's II is going to be one of those movies that do well despite the critics. While I doubt I'm going to run out and see it, it will make my Netflix list, no doubt.

By the way, here's an entertaining list for everyone. It might have been more appropriate a few days ago, but it's only a few days after Halloween so it's still relevent! Sorta...

Top 25 Worst Horror Movies Ever Made

Good list. Very funny to see the Halloween remake at the bottom of the list.

Good to see Dreamcatcher at #7. The movie had a pretty good premise (I mean, come on, it's Stephen King) and there were some really good, disgusting moments involving anuses...and blood. Okay, not so much good, but well done bloody anuses. Then the movie just gets ridiculous. I saw most of it on HBO in a hotel (I think a band trip) and I was kind of just planning the rest of my evening while watching it.

Oh yeah, and sorry for the font. Didn't mean to make your eyes twitch.

Cheers!

:cheers:

Watched Antichirst last week, was not as shocking as advertised.

The film itself is pretty boring ,which make me think that's why it's so hard to understand ( I myself have 3 theories about, what the movie is trying to tell...)

But the picture without a doubt was more than good

The only thing this film had going for it, was that it was based on (supposedly) actual psychiatric footage of missing persons and their craaazzzzy happenings. According to iMDB:

"According to promotional materials from Universal, the film is framed around a psychologist named Abigail Tyler who interviewed traumatized patients in Nome. However Alaska state licensing examiner Jan Mays says she can't find records of an Abigail Tyler ever being licensed in any profession in Alaska. Ron Adler, CEO and director of the Alaska Psychiatric Institute and Denise Dillard, president of the Alaska Psychological Association say they've never heard of Abigail Tyler. Web sites for an "Alaska Psychiatry Journal" and "Alaska News Archive" containing references to Tyler were created by the film's producers, but were outed as hoaxes when it was discovered they were registered a month before the film's release and the purported author of one of the archived news articles stated she had never written it."

So sad. Just, so sad. Precious looks great though. I really hope it gets the audience it deserves.

Cheers

:cheers:

Music Video

Yeah, when it starts getting to the point of hoaxes and whatnot to try and sell a movie, maybe you need to just, oh I don't know, make a better movie. For shame, I say!

Edited by Bulletproof

Watched Antichirst last week, was not as shocking as advertised.

The film itself is pretty boring ,which make me think that's why it's so hard to understand ( I myself have 3 theories about, what the movie is trying to tell...)

But the picture without a doubt was more than good

While I haven't seen the film, the director, Lars Von Triers, is the definition of someone who is technically brilliant yet painfully pretentious at the same time. While I've only seen his Dogville, that was enough for me.

As for the film being boring, that's how Von Triers rolls. He's a firm believer of minimal editing, minimal score and, evidently, minimal excitement. Despite that, his films are generally pretty gorgeous to look at, so they stand alone as pieces of art. Unfortunately, a piece of art doesn't neccessarily translate into good filmmaking. He's a tough director to discuss, because I feel many people like him because it's "cool" to do so. For me, boring is boring and pretentious is pretentious and if you're going to make me sit through 3 hours of a film, it better have more than 1 set (Dogville) or two characters (Antichrist).

Besides, there are directors out there that straddle that line of arty direction and engaging film just fine, so it is possible to make a film that's beautiful to look at and at the same time watchable. Sam Mendes, Stephen Daldry and Michel Gondry immediately come to mind.

Flicks I Recently Watched - Quick Blurbs

Carlito's Way

After much thought, I can only describe this flick as Scarface in reverse, with many of the mistakes made in Scarface fixed or at least improved upon. It's not suprising that Carlito's Way was made exactly 10 years later as it looks like De palma learned a thing or two between those two films. Al Pacino plays a much more beliveable character than he does in Scarface, the female lead (played by Penelope Ann Miller) has much more depth than Michelle Pfeiffer's wooden Scarface performcharacter and the tone of the film is thankfully toned way down. The reuslt is in an entertaining and throughally more complete film than the mess that is Scarface, which I feel is one of the most overrated films of all time. On the cinematography front, the film is shot in typical De Palma fashion, with plenty of long tracking shots and interesting camera angles. Plus, any film that features a Joe Cocker song at the end just cements the deal for me. Carlito's Way is a prime example of what Scarface could have been and should be checked out if you haven't already.

The Illusionist

Anytime a film stars Edward Norton, I immediately stand up and take notice and The Illusionist is no exception. Norton's performance, while not his best, was more than adequate as Eisenhiem as he didn't need to do much to get the role down. The rest of the cast fills in nicely with Paul Giamatti playing a great role as the inspector and Jessica Biel doing just fine as Norton's love interest. One thing I have to mention is Norton's goofy accent through the whole thing, which didn't detract from the film too much as he didn't have a ton to say, but still sounded odd coming out of his mouth. The Illusionist won an Oscar for Best Cinematography in 2006 and while the film is a treat to watch, I'm not sure if it was award worthy. I'd have to go back and take a look at the other nominees, but I wonder if there wasn't a better candidate for that year. All that being said, The Illusionist was an entertaining film that mixed tension, magic and a great twist ending that had me engaged all the way through. While it's not Norton's best work by any stretch, it's well worth an addition to your Netflix queue.

Flicks I Recently Watched - Quick Blurbs

The Illusionist

Anytime a film stars Edward Norton, I immediately stand up and take notice and The Illusionist is no exception. Norton's performance, while not his best, was more than adequate as Eisenhiem as he didn't need to do much to get the role down. The rest of the cast fills in nicely with Paul Giamatti playing a great role as the inspector and Jessica Biel doing just fine as Norton's love interest. One thing I have to mention is Norton's goofy accent through the whole thing, which didn't detract from the film too much as he didn't have a ton to say, but still sounded odd coming out of his mouth. The Illusionist won an Oscar for Best Cinematography in 2006 and while the film is a treat to watch, I'm not sure if it was award worthy. I'd have to go back and take a look at the other nominees, but I wonder if there wasn't a better candidate for that year. All that being said, The Illusionist was an entertaining film that mixed tension, magic and a great twist ending that had me engaged all the way through. While it's not Norton's best work by any stretch, it's well worth an addition to your Netflix queue.

If you like magic, and I know you do, check out The Prestige.

The Prestige

It came out around the same time as the Illusionist, and it apparently kicks butt. I didn't see either film...so I know my endorsement is rather odd. I just remember a lot of people raving about it.

Oh yeah, the Illusionist was only nominated for cinematography. Pan's Labyrinth won that year--and for good reason.

Peace!

Shameless Video Promotion

I watched 2012 yesterday and your assumptions are absolutely correct, Bulletproof. It certainly is a ridiculous movie and it has a lot of problems (no story, acting, Danny Glover), but it's all so damn entertaining. Certainly worth watching on the big screen.

I watched 2012 yesterday and your assumptions are absolutely correct, Bulletproof. It certainly is a ridiculous movie and it has a lot of problems (no story, acting, Danny Glover), but it's all so damn entertaining. Certainly worth watching on the big screen.

I agree. I'm so surprised this movie isn't in IMAX. Not having a story has never stopped IMAX before!

Just a link...really...click it....it won't hurt....just a link...

First and foremost, Happy Thanksgiving everybody! Hope the holiday brings the fun, food and connection to family only Thanksgiving can bring! I know my film reviews have slacked as of late, but that's simply because I haven't watched any movies! Hopefully, things will pick up soon, but in the meantime, here are this weeks openings:

Opening This Week

The Illusionist

I am a big fan of this movie. I thought the musical score was great. It along with the cinematography provided a dark mysterious atmosphere. And to me, the supporting performances really made the film special, particulalrly Rufus Sewall as Crown Prince Leopold (loved that short speech he gave about the country being overrun by "mongrels") and Paul Giamatti as the chief inspector.