Devils jerseys for the game at Yankee Stadium

nmm90392

I think the ownership will eventually make alternate jerseys. They are too big of a revenue generator to not. Granted, I'm sure jersey sales are up for the team in general with all the additions and subtractions over the past few seasons. But when you have just two jerseys and a roster that sticks together, jersey sales will tend to be static. 

I will add that, if we do ever get alternate jerseys, we must create a secondary/alternate logo. I feel it would be desecrating if we slap it on an alternate jersey.

I think (sadly) the new owners will do a lot of things to generate more $$$$$

Lou will bark at most of the ideas, but he's not really running that side of the business. Maybe in a few years Lou wont like the direction and decide its time to retire.

I think the ownership will eventually make alternate jerseys. They are too big of a revenue generator to not. Granted, I'm sure jersey sales are up for the team in general with all the additions and subtractions over the past few seasons. But when you have just two jerseys and a roster that sticks together, jersey sales will tend to be static. 

I will add that, if we do ever get alternate jerseys, we must create a secondary/alternate logo. I feel it would be desecrating if we slap it on an alternate jersey.

I really think if ownership does decide on making alternate jerseys that it might the line that Lou draws in the sand.  They can try to force it on the Devils, but Lou might prevent them from going on the players.

Iron Mike Keenan refused to have his players wear the third jerseys that ownership decided on with the Blues in 1996 and won..

I am proud of the fact that the team doesn't throw out jersey designs left and right. It's bush league. Look at most of the great sports franchises in history, part of their allure is the consistency of their uniforms.

Red wings, bruins, Yankees, Red Sox, celtics, lakers. They don't need to produce gimmicky jerseys to gain notoriety. They let the product on the field (or ice or court) elevate their logo and jersey into iconic levels.

And I want the devils to be grouped with them, not the wild, ducks and hurricanes of the sports world.

• Like 1

A) They 'did' get rid of it for a year or two with VBK

B) He probably only started caring when fans added the dreaded two word phrase to the song.

I know, but that didn't last all that long. Thought that was more of a lets not pay a pedophile than anything else.

I just don't see how LL cares about what the fans chant. Maybe he does, but I feel like that'd be something he'd think, eh, I got better stuff to worry about it.

The number thing I could care less about except when guys like Josefson and Tedenby have to change numbers they wore numerous times before cause some scrubini has it now. I'm perfectly fine with no high numbers though.

What they did to JJ was ridiculous. I have no idea why they took 16 from him to give him 9 when they could have just given Butler the 9. I have no clue what the point of that was. Like you said, I just like that there's no high numbers because they're unnecessary and I like the whole 1-30. It works into the team first theme since there's no one(minus guys like Jagr who you're not gonna make change their #) that deserves that "special" treatment.

Honesty I love having the retro jerseys and I loved having them right around St. Patryks day as it just fealt right. I was pissed we didnt do them during the lockout. I do wonder how the team and its policies will change with new owners. I am of the opinion that JVB was a terrific fan friendly owner that just didn't have enough money to own the devils.

Personally I have no desire for a alternate jersey outside of our throwbacks which I would love to see right around St Pats and wouldn't mind seeing during the winter classic.

The clean cut thing is really the only one of Lou's crazy policies I like. And the social media thing to an extent. I think players should be allowed their own twitter accounts, for example, but they should not be stupid with them. 

I just think that a small market team has to let some things go in order to build as big of a fan base as possible. I can see why teams like the Leafs or Rangers would be so strict but small market teams need all the help they can get (whether that be allowing social media, 3rd jerseys, commercials, etc.).

I think it would be cool if fans could interact with the players more.  But Lou doesn't like that.

how so though? like threw social media? i dont really know any other way that fans would be able to communicate with players

I'd like to see practices open to the public. I could care less about twitter and that crap. It's not worth the risk of one of the guys saying something monumentally offensive or stupid.

I'd like to see practices open to the public. I could care less about twitter and that crap. It's not worth the risk of one of the guys saying something monumentally offensive or stupid.

i would definently go to a practice if they were open to the public.. do other teams in the league do this?

They used to hold open practices at South Mountain Arena. That's how I was able to get this...

017.jpg

They used to sign autographs and talk to fans after practice. I met each guy on there personally and got them to sign it. It was awesome.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

i would definently go to a practice if they were open to the public.. do other teams in the league do this?

Like Jerzey Devil said, Devils used to do it. I have no idea what other teams do, but I imagine it's difficult to keep practices closed to the public when they don't own their practice facility. Which the Devils do own now with the Amerihealth Pavilion and is why practices are now closed.

They used to hold open practices at South Mountain Arena. That's how I was able to get this...

017.jpg

They used to sign autographs and talk to fans after practice. I met each guy on there personally and got them to sign it. It was awesome.

Awesome!

017.jpg

that sundstrom signature is ridiculous - actually the first time i've ever seen one.

Posted Image

They used to sign autographs and talk to fans after practice. I met each guy on there personally and got them to sign it. It was awesome.

If I can find the sign in board for my bar mitzvah. My mom let me take a few hours out of school so I could have pictures with the players for it. If I remember correctly I had pics with Claude, Richer and McKay, I think McVie was the coach at the time and had them all doing sprints at the end if practice. Add my red and green braces, you have the most classic event in human history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also was handed a broken stick by Sylvain Turgeon. I was hanging out by the bench while they were practicing and he skated over to grab a new stick and he said, "You want a stick buddy?". I didn't really know who he was at the time but he became one of my favorites while he was with us because of that.

I got a Brendan Shannahan stick too but he didn't give it to me personally. I think the equipment manager handed me that one. Might still have both of them at my parents house.

Who knows though. Maybe part of the reason the practices are closed now is because of people like me bothering the players after practice. But they weren't as popular back then so there wasn't really that many of us. Maybe 10 people just watching.

But I think it would be cool if at least once a week or once a month the practices were open and fans got to watch a practice and interact with the players like I got to back then. It really was a great experience. At the very least let season ticket holders attend a couple of practices a year.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

I think the practices being closed to the public might be a selling point to players.  It was awesome for us to meet them after practices but I bet the players enjoyed signing autographs while they're trying to leave the rink as much as we enjoy sitting in rush hour traffic on the way home from our jobs.

I think the practices being closed to the public might be a selling point to players.  It was awesome for us to meet them after practices but I bet the players enjoyed signing autographs while they're trying to leave the rink as much as we enjoy sitting in rush hour traffic on the way home from our jobs.

yea im sure that the players dont particularly like having to get held up signing a bunch of autographs when theyre trying to go home after a game or such.. like on the side of the buiilding where everyone waits for autos after games.. im sure some of them dont mind doing it here and there but you can just tell most cant be bothered.

I do not think most players mind signing some autographs.   It usually would take them a few minutes; if they were in that much of a hurry they wouldn't stop.  Supposedly the practices are closed now, because of some security issue with the arena.  They claim they would need X amount of security guards and they do not want to pay for that cost....

My rebuttal to that was to then have 1 a month or something open, and charge $5-$10 to fund the cost of the security.

Hopefully this is one of MANY things that change once LL rides off into the sunset....

I do not think most players mind signing some autographs.   It usually would take them a few minutes; if they were in that much of a hurry they wouldn't stop.  Supposedly the practices are closed now, because of some security issue with the arena.  They claim they would need X amount of security guards and they do not want to pay for that cost....

My rebuttal to that was to then have 1 a month or something open, and charge $5-$10 to fund the cost of the security.

Hopefully this is one of MANY things that change once LL rides off into the sunset....

I am sure the players would rather avoid signing autographs and taking pictures on the way out of practice.  I once went to a Flyers practice and they had one exit the players could go out of to get straight on the road and another one to stop by a group of fans for autographs.  Almost every single player avoided the fans.  I doubt the Devils players have that different of a preference.

The extra security needed is a legitimate reason too, and I'm sure they would rather put that out there than say, "Practices are closed so the players can avoid fans."  Having a public practice once a month with a fee seems to be a reasonable solution though.

With the new owners pledge to spend money on this team, the security guard thing shouldn't be a factor anymore.  Like others have said, not every practice has to be open.  One or two a month would be fine.  I remember my father taking me back in the late 1980's.  It was great meeting the players and getting their autographs as they came off the ice. 

New member, I signed up just to ask about the retro jersey policy. I just cannot understand Lou Lamiorello's disdain for the third jersey if it's the classic Christmas tree jersey that many fans love. This in no way changes the team identity. The fact that it couldn't even be worn for one game last year, why is it so wrong to see the jersey once a year? It should be the permanent third jersey. It's not like the logo is being redesigned or the team is changing to black and purple. And like it or not, third jerseys bring money. Does the team not want to sell more jerseys?