Fire DeBoer Thread

Daniel

Thank you StarDew are you getting better?

Yes. The mass in my chest tested benign after4 different tests and my enlarged thyroid took 6 different tests/biopsies and the final test, which was at the genome level, said benign.   Really stinks to have test results of undetermined.  Thank you for asking. :)

I'll wait to see the breakdown the rest of the way- After the olympic break I figured Marty would get at most 5 starts the rest of the way. With 20 games in 40 days Cory can't go every game. Well I guess he could but his level of play may suffer for it.

Another factor is that although the wings are the team we're chasing right now they're probably one of the weaker teams to give broduer since they're missing datsyuk and zetterberg.

I'll wait to see the breakdown the rest of the way- After the olympic break I figured Marty would get at most 5 starts the rest of the way. With 20 games in 40 days Cory can't go every game. Well I guess he could but his level of play may suffer for it.

Another factor is that although the wings are the team we're chasing right now they're probably one of the weaker teams to give broduer since they're missing datsyuk and zetterberg.

Pretty much this. I was listening on the radio (got out of work late), and Matt and Sherry were saying the same thing -- the Devils are going to need to ride their backup (they think it will be Marty) a bit down the stretch with all the back to backs. This was pretty much a perfect game to rest Cory, even ignoring the sentiment. If they go back to the 1 1A thing, then I have a problem, but IMO playing Marty against a bad Isles team and an injured Detroit team is more keeping Cory fresh than anything else.

@TGfireandice: DeBoer said not accurate to say Schneider has taken over as No. 1. Said he took ball and ran with it before break as Brodeur did earlier

i want to tell myself this is PDB lying through his teeth because of the current circus, but jesus is it infuriating.

i want to tell myself this is PDB lying through his teeth because of the current circus, but jesus is it infuriating.

PDB comes off as beyond clueless when he says stuff like this.  One meh game against the Sharks and suddenly the amazing run Cory was on never happened?!     

This is what I have been saying over and over. Schneider can not get the #1 spot until Brodeur is gone. I think Pete feels enormous pressure from the Lou-Brodeur dynamic to keep Brodeur happy.

Maybe he didn't know about it in the first few months of his tenure as coach when Hedberg was starting a few games in a row over Brodeur, but it seems clear to me that the player-GM relationship is not a comfortable one for Deboer.

There is nothing more Cory can do. If Brodeur gets similar amount of games down the stretch, you aren't re-signing Cory this off-season.

There is nothing more Cory can do. If Brodeur gets similar amount of games down the stretch, you aren't re-signing Cory this off-season.

If the money is there, and there's assurances that they cut ties with Marty at the end of the year, then I think Marty's playing time down the stretch is neither here nor there. 

If the money is there, and there's assurances that they cut ties with Marty at the end of the year, then I think Marty's playing time down the stretch is neither here nor there. 

Why? There are teams that will offer cory the same money we will, all that we have done to him here is fvck him around. Why would he be loyal?

Also with the goalie musical chairs comin to an end and looking like marty has no where to sit but with us, Pete better have him on the bench otherwise I think I might just stop watching this team till he gets fired.

Edited by Sneax

The teams won 3 of 4 out of the break, on a better than 4 goals per game run, and we're still taking about firing the coach and the goalie situation?

3 out of 4 is a nice start, last I checked we weren't in a playoff spot and in a really hard dog fight for one, and that in large part is imo/and some other peoples opinion, that he played broduer in alot of games he shouldn't have played in.

So yea people are still so upset, at least have respect for the fact that people are on him about this stuff when we aren't completly out of it, instead of jumping down his proverbial throat when the season is over and we didn't make the playoffs.

It's all about Marty.

Lou and Marty talked Marty has offer the 7 or 8 teams that he wants to go to, distracting the offensive needs for the Devils at trade deadline time.

Pete can't say Cory is the Devils #1 goalie because of Marty.

Why did Marty start last night?

It's all about Marty.

So what-else is new, it's always about Marty working all sides!!!!!!!

Agreed. I thought we were past this.

I posted this in another thread, but I can't imagine how Cory must feel right now.  So one guy basically gets to be mediocre-to-bad for considerable stretches, I have one meh game after being lights-out for WEEKS, and now I'm friggin' BENCHED?!  If I'm Cory I'm absolutely furious and rightly so.  The double-standard regarding the Devil goalies has never been more ridiculous than it is right now. 

I posted this in another thread, but I can't imagine how Cory must feel right now.  So one guy basically gets to be mediocre-to-bad for considerable stretches, I have one meh game after being lights-out for WEEKS, and now I'm friggin' BENCHED?!  If I'm Cory I'm absolutely furious and rightly so.  The double-standard regarding the Devil goalies has never been more ridiculous than it is right now. 

Do you honestly think Brodeur is playing Friday?

This is why I'm at the point where I'm praying Marty DOES go elsewhere this offseason.  Since it's obvious he wants to play.  What Messier did with the Rangers toward the end of his career was bad enough, at least he was a forward.  Easier to hide a bad forward than a bad goalie.

And it's obvious this goalie thing goes beyond Pete at this point.  Lou's always had a hand in Marty's playing time imo and this season's proving it more than ever, although some of Pete's excuses for not playing Cory more or not calling him the #1 ring hollow.

No, Cory'll play and the team'll be shut out again.  Then Marty'll play and we'll roll over the Canes with a goal outburst.  Then we're back to Marty leading the goalie rotation.

This is why I'm at the point where I'm praying Marty DOES go elsewhere this offseason.  Since it's obvious he wants to play.  What Messier did with the Rangers toward the end of his career was bad enough, at least he was a forward.  Easier to hide a bad forward than a bad goalie.

And it's obvious this goalie thing goes beyond Pete at this point.  Lou's always had a hand in Marty's playing time imo and this season's proving it more than ever, although some of Pete's excuses for not playing Cory more or not calling him the #1 ring hollow.

There is one thing to feel bad for Cory for just this season. But he has been dealing with this for 3+ years now. He is 28 in a few days and has never been a starting goalie in the NHL..despite having the best stats of any goalie in the league when he does play.

In Vancouver, he had the fans on his side, the organization on his side, but the inability to trade Luongo forced Cory to be dealt. Now he is on a team where it seems the fans love is with Brodeur, the coach-GM relationship is with Brodeur and a coach that feels obligated to keep playing Brodeur. And for some odd reason he plays behind an offense that gives him under 2 goals a game and Brodeur gets over 3 goals a game of goal support.

At least in Vancouver, he was playing behind a very good goalie. In NJ he is playing beside a goalie with some of the worst numbers...

Just another deadline has passed and Cory's goalie partner is unable to be traded.

He shouldn't have played Tuesday.  Cory earned both Detroit starts, but PDB gave Marty the savior go-to guy treatment yet again.  And the fact that Marty really had very little to do with the Devils beating the Red Wings will elude him.  

No, Cory'll play and the team'll be shut out again.  Then Marty'll play and we'll roll over the Canes with a goal outburst.  Then we're back to Marty leading the goalie rotation.

Yeah, if Cory gets shut out 2-0 on Friday with one of the goals being an empty netter, and Marty wins his game 4-2 stopping 16 of 18 shots where he wasn't really tested, Marty will be "the hot hand" in PDB's eyes.

dr33, most of the fans want to see the guy who gives the Devils the best chance to win, and we know who that is.  I don't think too many Devils fans support Marty getting starts at Cory's expense.  But yeah, I think something is going on with both Pete and Lou re:  Marty, and it's making them both look bad.  If Cory's recent stretch of damned-near lights-out goaltending wasn't enough to cement him as the unquestioned, clear-cut #1 goalie, then I have no idea what is.  But this is quickly becoming a Mark Messier situation all over again, and it's a shame, because I thought Lou was smarter than that.   

unfortunately, i don't think lou is smarter than anything anymore. i can't trust the thinking behind any of his decisions anymore.

the fact is we just don't know how much a role lou plays in every day roster decisions and the goalie rotation.

i am praying that marty is really not happy he didn't get moved like we're hearing and pdb takes it personally and says fvck him.

unfortunately, i don't think lou is smarter than anything anymore. i can't trust the thinking behind any of his decisions anymore.

the fact is we just don't know how much a role lou plays in every day roster decisions and the goalie rotation.

i am praying that marty is really not happy he didn't get moved like we're hearing and pdb takes it personally and says fvck him.

Marty has to understand there's a reason he wasn't moved- no one wants him. There was no market. Hopefully its his fvcking wake-up call, but it worries me that he'll sign an extension and expect to start 41 games next year.

Marty has to understand there's a reason he wasn't moved- no one wants him. There was no market. Hopefully its his fvcking wake-up call, but it worries me that he'll sign an extension and expect to start 41 games next year.

Call me paranoid or whatever, but I worry that Lou will bring Brodeur back and completely alienate Schneider in doing so. Even if you guarantee Schneider that Brodeur would be gone by 2015-16, why would he want to sign an extension with an organization that took him from one unfortunate G situation and put him into another one? I'm sure he'll have plenty of teams lining up the money for him to hit UFA anyway and if I was him I'd go elsewhere. 

Just heard a disturbing quote from Lou on MSG...basically said "Marty still knows how to win."  A lot of goalies with .899 save%s "know how to win" when they're given good goal support and don't have to face a high volume of shots.  I think Lou is as oblivious to Marty's current skill level as Marty is.

Just heard a disturbing quote from Lou on MSG...basically said "Marty still knows how to win."  A lot of goalies with .899 save%s "know how to win" when they're given good goal support and don't have to face a high volume of shots.  I think Lou is as oblivious to Marty's current skill level as Marty is.

Lou isn't saying that this is not true. What he is saying is that, somehow the team comes out with wins when he is in net (and somehow scores more for him), and for whatever reason that is, it is legitimate to play him.