2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

Toronto's a joke and the Rangers are Cup contenders.  But I've seen enough Brodeur and Hedberg performances against the Leafs the last two years where the Leafs score 2 goals on 11 shots.

Rangers are on the fringe of being a legit cup contender. It has to be mentioned that Lundqvist's play has been slowly fading for the past 3 years or so. And he's 32. Don't like his chances of becoming a .930 goalie again.

Rangers still don't have enough muscle up front. They're not beating Boston in a playoff series. Montreal would give them fits as well

I'm not high on either Brodeur or Schneider right now. Honestly it's a coin flip weekend as to who we start against what team.

The Maaaaarty chants are coming tomorrow as he lets in some half speed floater through his 5 hole to Stepan. Then blames the D after the game

marty usually plays well against the rangers.. i dont think we would have any better of a chance with cory in net right now so im all for brodeur starting tomorrow night

what happened the last time he played the rangers? I remember freezing my ass off that day 

I am all for Marty starting against the Rangers.

I hope he gets blown out in the first period, then we will put an end to the Marty Brodeur whining and opinions. Let him move on to Pittsburgh next season.

Bye Marty, you damaged yourself with your mouth.

So, to be clear, you are rooting for the Rangers over the Devils?

oh wow one game... i didnt say he played well the last time he played the rangers i said he usually plays well against that team.

Well it kinda loses all meaning when he arguably played his worst game of the year against them. It's almost like anecdotal small sample evidence is worthless

So, to be clear, you are rooting for the Rangers over the Devils?

Since we're 99% not making the playoffs, if he gets bombed to the tune of 9 instead of the usual 4, and Lou finally realizes it's over and Marty's playing for the Hamilton Bulldogs next year, is it the worst thing in the world? 

Edited by DH26

what happened the last time he played the rangers? I remember freezing my ass off that day 

I think we need to throw those results out the window.  Too many sets of variables played a factor.

Since we're 99% not making the playoffs, if he gets bombed to the tune of 9 instead of the usual 4, and Lou finally realizes it's over and Marty's playing for the Hamilton Bulldogs next year, is it the worst thing in the world? 

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Metropolitan/NewJersey.html

Well it kinda loses all meaning when he arguably played his worst game of the year against them. It's almost like anecdotal small sample evidence is worthless

If you asking me if it's ever right to root against the Devils, especially for the Rangers, then I would say, "No." But to each his own.

The Marty Unfiltered Tour continues: “I don’t think Nieder got booed. And he’s the one that set us back big-time,” Brodeur said of Niedermayer’s decision to sign with Anaheim as a free agent in 2005. So, is Brodeur prepared to hear the boos if it does happen?

“Yeah. It would stink, but what are you going to do?” he said. “I’m here and I get booed sometimes.” http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/03/would_devils_fans_dare_boo_martin_brodeur_next_season_goalie_is_prepared_if_it_happens.html

I'm not high on either Brodeur or Schneider right now. Honestly it's a coin flip weekend as to who we start against what team.

The Maaaaarty chants are coming tomorrow as he lets in some half speed floater through his 5 hole to Stepan. Then blames the D after the game

When has he blamed the defense and it wasn't actually warranted?

The Marty Unfiltered Tour continues: “I don’t think Nieder got booed. And he’s the one that set us back big-time,” Brodeur said of Niedermayer’s decision to sign with Anaheim as a free agent in 2005. So, is Brodeur prepared to hear the boos if it does happen?

“Yeah. It would stink, but what are you going to do?” he said. “I’m here and I get booed sometimes.” http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/03/would_devils_fans_dare_boo_martin_brodeur_next_season_goalie_is_prepared_if_it_happens.html

:e-drama:  Oh man, anyone could be next...

Very interesting to see who Deboer goes with next game. Deboer was very complementary of the goaltending the Devils have gotten the last few games. For the most part all year, Deboer has kept the winning goalie in net regardless of who actually played better. Well you have Schneider with two straight wins and Brodeur with two straight losses. If you follow the pattern, it should be Cory, but Brodeur was really solid against the Rangers. He finally got a Schneider-esque loss for the first time in a long while, so I'm really not sure who Deboer goes with.

Three straight losses for Marty actually lol...two of which he played well in.  But still that didn't get Cory any more starts earlier in the year when he wasn't getting goals so let's see if they stay consistent now that it's Marty not getting goals.  From a psyche standpoint you'd also like to see Cory get in a groove (he hasn't gotten two straight starts since the break) now that he finally had a good, spotless game post-break.

Very interesting to see who Deboer goes with next game. Deboer was very complementary of the goaltending the Devils have gotten the last few games. For the most part all year, Deboer has kept the winning goalie in net regardless of who actually played better. Well you have Schneider with two straight wins and Brodeur with two straight losses. If you follow the pattern, it should be Cory, but Brodeur was really solid against the Rangers. He finally got a Schneider-esque loss for the first time in a long while, so I'm really not sure who Deboer goes with.

I have a feeling he is going to go with Marty. After both goalies had solid games I can't see him not alternating.

I have a feeling he is going to go with Marty. After both goalies had solid games I can't see him not alternating.

I agree - just like after Schneider stole a game in LA, he alternated which ass cheek he would favor on the bench while Brodeur got 3 straight.

Edited by Triumph

I agree - just like after Schneider stole a game in LA, he alternated which ass cheek he would favor on the bench while Brodeur got 3 straight.

This is why people that talk about wins and losses being the reason Brodeur got more games don't understand why some people are still furious with the goalie situation. There have clearly been different rules for both goalies all season.

Schneider plays the best game a goalie has played all year to that point and still to this date against the Kings. The Devils escape with a win in a game they had no business winning. Two nights later Brodeur gets a game, and they lose. He gets the next game, and they lose. He gets the game after and they lose. Schneider finally gets another game 8 days later after the LA gem, and wins. He responds by shutting out the Sabres the next game. Of course Brodeur gets his Montreal home game after that.

It was somewhere during that time that Schneider showed his frustration, and he had every right to be. Deboer said he would be disappointed if he wasn't upset, but it made no sense that Cory wasn't given a game sooner.

If Brodeur does get the next game, well then this is why Tri says "You're also fine with missing the playoffs, as apparently the entire Devils organization is" or as Sundstrom says, "different strokes for different folks". Because it will be very clear that this season was about making sure Brodeur was never going to be the backup and getting him as many games as possible regardless of who is better.

• Like 1

This is why people that talk about wins and losses being the reason Brodeur got more games don't understand why some people are still furious with the goalie situation. There have clearly been different rules for both goalies all season.

I may be wrong but I don't think anyone talks solely about wins and losses as to why Marty played a lot. It was just about going with the hot hand. The Devils were struggling, whoever the team happened to win with was going to get the next game. Cory has still played more games btw. When Cory wasn't winning he didn't play as much because Marty was playing well. Most people believe Cory should play more though, as do I.

As far as the team making it a priority to play Brodeur as many games as possible I don't see how that's true at all. It's nonsense imo. Marty didn't play for what? Six games after Yankee Stadium. When Cory wasn't getting the job done we switched over.

The complaining over the Marty situation has just gone out of control. Marty playing 40 games has nothing to do with the Devils not making the playoffs. Who knows what would have happened had he started the games that Marty lost (or won even). This team has only allowed 187 goals, that's 11th in the NHL and perfectly sufficient to make the playoffs. But the team has only scored 175 goals. If they had scored 195 then we'd probably be in the playoffs right now.

I may be wrong but I don't think anyone talks solely about wins and losses as to why Marty played a lot. It was just about going with the hot hand. The Devils were struggling, whoever the team happened to win with was going to get the next game. Cory has still played more games btw. When Cory wasn't winning he didn't play as much because Marty was playing well. Most people believe Cory should play more though, as do I.

As far as the team making it a priority to play Brodeur as many games as possible I don't see how that's true at all. It's nonsense imo. Marty didn't play for what? Six games after Yankee Stadium. When Cory wasn't getting the job done we switched over.

The complaining over the Marty situation has just gone out of control. Marty playing 40 games has nothing to do with the Devils not making the playoffs. Who knows what would have happened had he started the games that Marty lost (or won even). This team has only allowed 187 goals, that's 11th in the NHL and perfectly sufficient to make the playoffs. But the team has only scored 175 goals. If they had scored 195 then we'd probably be in the playoffs right now.

Playing one of the best goalies for 60 games instead of 40 would make no difference to you? It's all about giving you a better chance to win and when you can play CS instead of unarguably one of the bottom 5 worst goalies in the league is a huge difference. We probably have as big a difference between good and bad goalie as anyone in the league

Playing one of the best goalies for 60 games instead of 40 would make no difference to you? It's all about giving you a better chance to win and when you can play CS instead of unarguably one of the bottom 5 worst goalies in the league is a huge difference. We probably have as big a difference between good and bad goalie as anyone in the league

I don't know what difference it would have made. All I know is that playing the better goalie (Schneider) hasn't guaranteed us winning games this season anymore than playing Marty.

The decision was very easy to go with Cory for an extended stretch after Brodeur's game aaginst the Rangers. For one, it was almost a bit embarrassing for Deboer. He went all sentimental and gave Marty a shot coming off of Schneider winning two straight games and playing exceptional in both (56 saves on 58 shots), and that was after a (37/38) loss to Colorado. Brodeur had been coming off a loss in a very poor game against the Coyotes. But just like the example that you quoted of me in your post, we had to switch the script, and give Brodeur a start because it is Brodeur. He got owned, so the obvious choice was to continue to ride Schneider.

All year, there have been different rules for Brodeur and Cory. Simple as that. No one is saying for sure if the Devils would be a playoff team if Cory got 60 games and Brodeur got 22, but there is a very good chance (almost guaranteed) they would be a lot better off.

Edited by devilsrule33